ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-music related router question/advice  (Read 1100 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Non-music related router question/advice
« on: June 17, 2021, 01:17:59 AM »

Its time to get a new router for the home.  2 story 3000sq ft.
My Cisco E3000 must be 10 years old now and has been great but technology has moved on and Id like better security too. It was very easy to set up from what I remember but more recently the WAP I purchased for my remote mixing purposes - Ubiquiti mesh- was not so easy and I had to ask for assistance here to get it configured ( thank you Frank) - Id rather not have to put him through that again - LOL.....
You guys here know more about this stuff than anyone so this is my first port of call for advice ....so any  suggestions?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Non-music related router question/advice
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 03:50:10 AM »

Its time to get a new router for the home.  2 story 3000sq ft.
My Cisco E3000 must be 10 years old now and has been great but technology has moved on and Id like better security too. It was very easy to set up from what I remember but more recently the WAP I purchased for my remote mixing purposes - Ubiquiti mesh- was not so easy and I had to ask for assistance here to get it configured ( thank you Frank) - Id rather not have to put him through that again - LOL.....
You guys here know more about this stuff than anyone so this is my first port of call for advice ....so any  suggestions?

You can put me through it.  It's not that hard.  Ubiquity has released some real clunker software releases lately.  Let me see if I have some Rukus mesh left over from an install.  Top notch stuff. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Bolly

• Homeward Bound
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 03:55:56 AM »

x2 of Scott's suggestion on a mesh system.  Depending on the layout of the house and where the base router would be, it may not be quite enough to hit *everywhere*

I've had a Synology RT2600AC dual-band gigabit router for a few years that replaced an old Apple Airport Extreme.  It's been rock solid, the interface is easy, and in our ~2000 sq ft place with plaster/lath walls and over 30 adjacent WiFi networks that I can see, the performance has been good.  Any larger of a place and I'd want a mesh system (which it supports), but in terms of reliability and stability it's been good.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 04:02:33 AM »

x2 of Scott's suggestion on a mesh system.  Depending on the layout of the house and where the base router would be, it may not be quite enough to hit *everywhere*

I've had a Synology RT2600AC dual-band gigabit router for a few years that replaced an old Apple Airport Extreme.  It's been rock solid, the interface is easy, and in our ~2000 sq ft place with plaster/lath walls and over 30 adjacent WiFi networks that I can see, the performance has been good.  Any larger of a place and I'd want a mesh system (which it supports), but in terms of reliability and stability it's been good.

Yes, I think she needs 3, I forgot if her the the living room ceiling goes up to floor 2, if there is attic access that would be a great place.  One in the studio, one at top of stairs and then see how the signal is by the kitchen.  It really helps for cellular voice over Wifi. 

No I haven't been snooping on Debbie, she was kind enough to invite me along for her first gig with the Danley's
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 09:27:04 PM »

Yes, I think she needs 3, I forgot if her the the living room ceiling goes up to floor 2, if there is attic access that would be a great place.  One in the studio, one at top of stairs and then see how the signal is by the kitchen.  It really helps for cellular voice over Wifi. 

No I haven't been snooping on Debbie, she was kind enough to invite me along for her first gig with the Danley's

Ha ha- yes to anyone who didnt realize that, it must have started to sound a little weird
My living room doesnt have a vaulted ceiling Scott.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 11:31:09 PM »

....so any  suggestions?

I just installed a TP Link router (mesh-capable), centrally located in the walkout lower level. I'm just using it stand-alone.

Its signal is excellent on the main floor above and still plenty strong in all corners of the upstairs. Most of the house is brick/stone, FWIW, about 3,000 sf finished and another 1500 sf or so in the lower level.

Installation was a breeze. As long as the WAN port is connected to the Internet before first boot, there should be no surprises. WPA3 encryption. A discontinued model, $40 + tax on amazon.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 01:14:09 AM »

Thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions so far.... as an added piece of information, I have been using a wi-fi range extender in the room farthest from where the router is located - as reception can be spotty in there - and had hoped to be able to not have to use it anymore but not a big deal if it still has to be relied upon. The router is downstairs in a cupboard towards one end of the home and the room in question is upstairs on the other end of the home so worst case scenario.

Steven Cohen

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 10:52:22 AM »

I brought this up in the wireless forum here a few months ago, what does everyone think about WiFi 6E?

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while. Yes, one would need devices with WiFi 6E radios along with the appropriate numbers of access points, repeaters, ect, but in a crowded WiFi environment, seems like a good solution for a few years until the neighbors catch up.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 11:02:42 AM »

I brought this up in the wireless forum here a few months ago, what does everyone think about WiFi 6E?

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while. Yes, one would need devices with WiFi 6E radios along with the appropriate numbers of access points, repeaters, ect, but in a crowded WiFi environment, seems like a good solution for a few years until the neighbors catch up.

6E would be a worthwhile upgrade if you have devices that use it and are in a congested environment or move around a lot of data.  I doubt people are moving that much data on phones yet phones are likely to be the first devices people have that can use it.  The congestion win wont last for more than a year or two Id bet and will be expensive during that time.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 12:35:52 PM »

In theory, one should have the whole 6Ghz to themselves for a while.

Really? What about all the current incumbents; Part 25 satellite up/down links, Part 101 fixed microwave, Part 74 Broadcast Auxiliary, Part 78 Cable Relay?
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 12:35:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.