Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

And they're back.....

(1/4) > >>

Mark Scrivener:
Got a call today from a guy looking for sound for his band. Living in the most restrictive county in the most restrictive state, it has been quite a while since anyone called about live sound....

So the band apparently plays 4-5 gigs a month and wants a dedicated sound guy. Gigs are spread out over a pretty large area - so probably 1-2 hours driving each direction for many of these gigs. He claims he has 5-6 guys who bring their own gear and only charge $175/gig. I told him $350 was my minimum to show up, and that's if I don't bring any gear. He understood but here was the interesting part.....

He claims the venues have cut their pay to bands in half since before the pandemic and everyone is getting squeezed. Not surprising, and I told him good luck and no thanks. Fortunately my guitar students put enough dough in my pocket that I don't have to play this game. I really feel for all you that do.

Steve Litcher:
It's almost funny, isn't it?

A friend of mine in our area plays in a band, and I know several venue owners/operators in our area as well. During the pandemic the locals were crying for live music - "I need live music!" "I can't live without seeing live music!" "Why can't we just have some live music?!" Facebook/social media was full of cries for *any* type of live music during the entire pandemic... And the venue owners were trying to get bands as best they could during the thick of things...

Now that things are opening up, my friends with bands are saying that the venues are paying really poorly AND people are howling at the idea of *maybe* having to pay a $5-$10 cover for an afternoon/evening of music.

Go figure. Folks "need" live music to live, but only if it's free?

Yoel Klein:

--- Quote from: Steve Litscher on June 16, 2021, 04:06:00 pm ---It's almost funny, isn't it?

A friend of mine in our area plays in a band, and I know several venue owners/operators in our area as well. During the pandemic the locals were crying for live music - "I need live music!" "I can't live without seeing live music!" "Why can't we just have some live music?!" Facebook/social media was full of cries for *any* type of live music during the entire pandemic... And the venue owners were trying to get bands as best they could during the thick of things...

Now that things are opening up, my friends with bands are saying that the venues are paying really poorly AND people are howling at the idea of *maybe* having to pay a $5-$10 cover for an afternoon/evening of music.

Go figure. Folks "need" live music to live, but only if it's free?

--- End quote ---

The pandemic gave new meaning to value and labor.
People who can pay their bills are not paying, etc etc etc.
the pandemic song became the new normal to get everything free.

Bill Hornibrook:

--- Quote from: Mark Scrivener on June 16, 2021, 03:33:49 pm ---He claims the venues have cut their pay to bands in half since before the pandemic and everyone is getting squeezed
--- End quote ---

If you were actually considering working for these guys, I'd ask him to prove it - with contracts or pay receipts. It's not happening in my area - not what I'm picking up anyway. Business has been really good since reopening. I've raised my prices (club level DJ and karaoke) and no one is batting an eye.

John L Nobile:
If he's got 5 or 6 guys that'll do it for less than peanuts, why is he calling you too? I call BS. He's just trying to get you to lowball yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version