Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Set up

(1/1)

Bob Kidd:
Have outside gig was going to run 4 828sps (centered) and 2 835s on crank stands then 2 812s 100ft out for delays or I could rent 2 additional 828s and stack 3 subs each side with 835 on top. Which would you recommend?

Bob Stone:
What type of gig (live band, DJ, spoken word, etc.)? How many people? What coverage area?

Tim McCulloch:
I'd use the maximum available subs and place them at the stage.  I'd put the delay speakers around 75 feet, but that's location permitting.

Bob Kidd:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on June 16, 2021, 12:13:22 PM ---I'd use the maximum available subs and place them at the stage.  I'd put the delay speakers around 75 feet, but that's location permitting.

--- End quote ---

So 6 subs still centered in front with 835 on stand?

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Bob Kidd on June 16, 2021, 12:18:07 PM ---So 6 subs still centered in front with 835 on stand?

--- End quote ---

Centered and spaced, and whatever you need to get the top boxes up.  Or pile the subs L/R.  I'm not out to kill power alley and sub deployment is more about the placement options that are NOT available than anything else (at least for me, others may have more OCD tendencies).

The reason I seldom center subs:  many of the artists I work with do not like the amount of LF that placement puts on the stage... as in "fix this, I'll be in my dressing room when you get your shit together."  For rap shows, it's about the way the subs interact with the sidefill subs (make an LF hole in the middle of the stage and the rapper will not be happy).

But for the BE whose Daily Don Quixote exercise is to banish power alley, I'll center the subs as the BE is aware of the stage LF and the artist is presumably okay with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version