Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Audio Composite Engineering (ACE)

(1/3) > >>

Doug Fowler:
Does anyone have an idea where these enclosures went?

I lifted an ACE stage monitor once and it was so light I was freaked out really impressed.   The JBL lightweight cones were new.   I swear it was only 20ish pounds.

Brian Bolly:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on June 16, 2021, 03:34:15 am ---Does anyone have an idea where these enclosures went?

I lifted an ACE stage monitor once and it was so light I was freaked out really impressed.   The JBL lightweight cones were new.   I swear it was only 20ish pounds.

--- End quote ---

From what I recall, ACE was purchased by QSC about...20 years ago?  Or maybe they just licensed the technology to make them.  But since they were really expensive to produce, QSC eventually 86'd the line.  I want to say it was around in QSC's hands for no more than about 5 years or so.

Wasn't ACE originally somehow involved with Sound Image?

EDIT: Apparently not all those brain cells were removed.
ACE's website is still online, although not updated since 2001: http://audiocomposite.com/index.html

There's a "history" of them here: http://audiotools.com/dead_az.html

--- Quote ---Audio Composite Engineering LLC

Originally started in 1993 as a sub-brand of the Southern California Sound Image company in Escondido in Southern California, USA, but that is a systems installation and integration company that manufactures loudspeakers for sound reinforcement use on the side. When marketing the ACE branded speakers they traded as “Audio Composite Engineering Inc.” but it appears there never was a company registered under that name until 2000 when a partnership was registered by the owners of SCSI, Ross Rito (1949 ~ 2009) and David R. Shadoan.

The name of the company is taken from the baffle material used in the PA speakers made by ACE, but the baffle was a seamless composite enclosure made out of an aramid polymer honeycomb structure that was then covered with multiple layers of carbon fibre. The use of this composite material made the speaker much lighter than wood or MDF based speakers but with higher rigidity, better acoustical quality’s and greater strength than ABS and other common wood alternatives used in PA speakers, in addition carbon fibre is fairly scratch resistant. Apart from the enclosure the design of the speakers was fairly traditional and in fact quite similar to the “G” series that the SCSI is still making, the ACE range was also fairly expensive and used high quality JBL compression drivers, a monitor model 1250 had an RRP of USD 2895 in 1999.

In 2001 the company announced that they had made an exclusive distribution deal with QSC with latter company to sell the ACE line as the “QSC-ACE Composlite” series of speakers, and later in the year they started appearing re-branded with the QSC name and the line being called ACE but keeping the model numbers ACE had been using previously, by 2003 the models had been renamed the QSC ISIS line and the individual models renamed but still had the exact same specifications as the ASC units. However by 2007/2008 QSC had replaced the ACE sourced speakers with models made out of cheaper cabinet materials and featuring cheaper drivers, in fact the QSC history page makes no mention of the ACE/QSC deal but rather states that the company started an R&D program in 1999 that resulted in the introduction of the ACE line in 2001. The Audio Composite Engineering LLC company is technically still around but dormant and mother company SCSI is thriving, but we cannot find any trace of the ACE products after 2005 or thereabouts

Resources: We have an archive of the LSP file sent out by the company for use with an EASE program available here.
--- End quote ---

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Brian Bolly on June 16, 2021, 03:40:06 am ---From what I recall, ACE was purchased by QSC about...20 years ago?  Or maybe they just licensed the technology to make them.  But since they were really expensive to produce, QSC eventually 86'd the line.  I want to say it was around in QSC's hands for no more than about 5 years or so.

Wasn't ACE originally somehow involved with Sound Image?

EDIT: Apparently not all those brain cells were removed.
ACE's website is still online, although not updated since 2001: http://audiocomposite.com/index.html

There's a "history" of them here: http://audiotools.com/dead_az.html

--- End quote ---

JBL was also involved, HLA sub.  The best I can remember the deal didn't work out somehow, then changes ensued.   The ACE production space was just a stone's throw from Sound Image.

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote ---by 2003 the models had been renamed the QSC ISIS line and the individual models renamed but still had the exact same specifications as the ASC units.
--- End quote ---

That model name didn't age well.

Lee Buckalew:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on June 16, 2021, 09:30:01 am ---
That model name didn't age well.

--- End quote ---

It's right up there with Atlas IED.   ::)

Lee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version