ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting out of trouble before it happens (unistrut rigging)  (Read 2951 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Getting out of trouble before it happens (unistrut rigging)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 03:39:23 PM »

Yes I did!   Too much to type here for all details BUT here’s a quick review, based on the 4 or 5 times I’ve used it so far.

-very clever. Most things get used for more than one purpose. Thought-out design!
- good construction. Feels stable and sturdy when put together properly.
- a lot of small steps. The old “do this before that” and order of operations. Lots of hand work, since no pneumatics or hydraulics.
- definitely a money maker.  SL50/75 goes for $1500-2200 in my area.  I’m doing $700-800ish (varies on a number of things of course).
- has some limitations, like only 250lbs per side on wings. But at this level I ground stack PA anyways.
- lots of moving parts means I’ll likely need replacements to cover wear and tear. However parts are cheap since it’s all “off the shelf” things.  A worm gear $150 every few years.  125ft airline cable every few years. 
- unique look means people recognize it “I saw that on a Facebook ad”
-only 67mph wind rating.
- feels safe, yes.

All in all, very nice price up front but extra work bc no automation with setting it up. For half the cost of a SL75, I’m quite happy. Certified for insurance compliance is a must, and this meets that.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you in mobile stage pro group in Facebook.  I’ll post some extra photos of today’s gig with it over there

Yes, I am in that group.  I keep a low profile as I don't have much to contribute.  You are exactly right, folks that can't afford the 75 and end up with a dodgy roof that is really hard to rig or no roof at all.  With the rate business is coming back I am so close to pulling the trigger. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 05:45:07 PM »

FWIW here is a frame I made for our J7's. Its 50 x 50mm RHS with a wall thickness of 2.5mm (from memory, I would need to check)  - more than 10:1 safety factor and the J7 weighs 125Kgs.  It bolts onto the box through the 4 holes in the top of the frame.

Very nice!  I'd love to hear your thoughts on the J7 too if you have the time to share (in a dedicated thread so as to not derail this one). 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 05:45:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.