ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change my current system?  (Read 6410 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Change my current system?
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2021, 01:33:09 PM »

Those are some strange looking tires.

I think the tires and 4WD are the secret to sand success.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ed Taylor

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2021, 04:59:54 PM »

I had an event yesterday for 3 vocals, bass, 2 keys and a DJ and needed to load in and set up in 20mins. The event was outdoors and there was a long stone chip drive to the stage (not wide enough for vehicles). Pushing a sub on casters would have been a nightmare as it would have sunk into the stone chippings and would have constantly got stuck or tore up the drive.
The DXR15's really came into their own for this event! It was very quick to stick the DXR15's up on a pair of tripods and I used an A&H QU-PAC mixer controlled with an ipad. I also had two Alto TS210's for wedge monitors and was up and running with plenty of time to spare. The DXR15's put out a very impressive full range sound and the 5 string bass guitar sounded very impressive and deep without getting boomy or muddy. The vocals had great clarity and intelligibility and the keys sat in the mix nicely. The DXR15's continue to surprise me with their performance for a pair of active £1000 speakers. Whilst I have considered getting smaller/lighter subs I would have still faced the same issue for load in and would have ended up needing to carry them which would have been heavier than the DXR's!

At this moment, I'm very likely to stick with my DXR15's and KW181's. Whilst I would love to get something lighter that can still cover the size of events I'm doing, this doesn't really exist at my budget. I can't justify the cost of one of these high end small systems so don't really see any option but to stick with the DXR's.

On a side note I hadn't checked out the Yamaha cases for the DXR15's and these look great. They can be kept on while the speaker is being used and have an inner mesh to protect the speaker from light rain and the rear flaps form a roof to protect the amp and connectors. This is extremely useful and I wish I knew about these covers before as I've had to delay setup for some events due to light rain or have had to cover the speakers with plastic bags which badly messes up the FOH sound! This is swaying me even more towards keeping the DXR15's!

I was gonna chime in and say that I'm envious that you have that much work going on right now, that you're ready to upgrade your rig, which  in my world is still very viable..and I get the age thing.
but then I saw you saying you had a 30 min window to load in and setup?...not a gig I'd want (grin).  I did do a wedding a while back...they changed the venue setup day-of so I was told I couldn't set up my reception portion of the rig until after the ceremony was over and folks had dispersed outside for cocktail hour and part of my rig had to be reassigned for that cocktail music (just part of our life I know). But was at least able to unload all the gear and hide it behind a wall, so that when it was time to position it, I was already out of the van, cables pulled and ready to connect, etc. that was still a fast 30 mins for me including basic DMX and fx lighting.  Can't imaging having to make the cobble drive load in during that same 20 mins.. but I'm gettin old.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2021, 08:02:43 AM »

I was gonna chime in and say that I'm envious that you have that much work going on right now, that you're ready to upgrade your rig, which  in my world is still very viable..and I get the age thing.
but then I saw you saying you had a 30 min window to load in and setup?...not a gig I'd want (grin).  I did do a wedding a while back...they changed the venue setup day-of so I was told I couldn't set up my reception portion of the rig until after the ceremony was over and folks had dispersed outside for cocktail hour and part of my rig had to be reassigned for that cocktail music (just part of our life I know). But was at least able to unload all the gear and hide it behind a wall, so that when it was time to position it, I was already out of the van, cables pulled and ready to connect, etc. that was still a fast 30 mins for me including basic DMX and fx lighting.  Can't imaging having to make the cobble drive load in during that same 20 mins.. but I'm gettin old.

Yeah it was a bit crazy. However, managed to get up and running thanks to the DXR15’s being able to handle a whole band. Only needing two speakers on tripods definitely saved time! Also, the QU-PAC is very small and lightweight so I cou,d have this on my shoulder whilst carrying in the monitors.

Ed Taylor

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2021, 12:30:05 PM »

Yeah it was a bit crazy. However, managed to get up and running thanks to the DXR15’s being able to handle a whole band. Only needing two speakers on tripods definitely saved time! Also, the QU-PAC is very small and lightweight so I cou,d have this on my shoulder whilst carrying in the monitors.
nice!
my weight reduction over the past few years came with adding some of the Bose L1compact units for things like wedding ceremonies. Amazing the coverage I get with just a single unit out on a lawn and it's been better than lugging old jbl or mackie 450 powered speakers and stands when I really don't need that much.
the bose have pulled double duty at several weddings and private parties by adding the EV ZXA1 12" 700 watt subs  at just over 45lbs, I can still grab em in one hand and a bose L1c in the other and walk it in.

of course a live 4 or more piece band is going to still get full PA, but it sure isn't going to be in 20 mins (grin)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2021, 04:26:20 PM »

I can't tell you how many times I have saved my back with the Home Depot convertible dolly with inflatable tires. Carrying in 2 HPR122is and 2 Mackie SRM450's in 1 trip? No problem. Beats rolling subs on casters any day.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2021, 04:32:00 PM »

I think the tires and 4WD are the secret to sand success.

Just got back from visiting a friend in Long Beach, saw an ice cream vendor with a freezer on one of these and he definitely had no problem cruising around the beach with ease.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2021, 04:32:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.