ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Change my current system?  (Read 2662 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Change my current system?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2021, 02:40:30 PM »

Funny thing about sound gear. The manufacturers all know what everyone else is doing.  In the same price range, you are pretty much going to find about the same set of features.  Sound gear gets purchased in a triangle, consisting of quality, wight and price.  Adjusting one means adjusting the others to match.

So, if you want to decrease the weight of your system, you'll either have to increase the price, or decrease the quality, or some of both.  There's no free lunch here.

As far as scuffed up speakers go, a touch of paint on certain cabinets can go a long way.  Or, if you want to get really fancy, look into covers for your speakers.  It's amazing how well a nice cover can hide a ratty speaker underneath.  As an example of this already in use, next time you're at a venue, take a look at the tables BEFORE they put the tablecloths on.  You might be amazed at how horrid they look 'naked', but look just fine once they are covered.  Use the same strategy with your speakers and they can look brand new for every show.

Real profit: renting tables, chairs, etc.   PortaJohn too.  But that cleanup....
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Richard Penrose

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2021, 03:30:04 PM »

I had an event yesterday for 3 vocals, bass, 2 keys and a DJ and needed to load in and set up in 20mins. The event was outdoors and there was a long stone chip drive to the stage (not wide enough for vehicles). Pushing a sub on casters would have been a nightmare as it would have sunk into the stone chippings and would have constantly got stuck or tore up the drive.
The DXR15's really came into their own for this event! It was very quick to stick the DXR15's up on a pair of tripods and I used an A&H QU-PAC mixer controlled with an ipad. I also had two Alto TS210's for wedge monitors and was up and running with plenty of time to spare. The DXR15's put out a very impressive full range sound and the 5 string bass guitar sounded very impressive and deep without getting boomy or muddy. The vocals had great clarity and intelligibility and the keys sat in the mix nicely. The DXR15's continue to surprise me with their performance for a pair of active 1000 speakers. Whilst I have considered getting smaller/lighter subs I would have still faced the same issue for load in and would have ended up needing to carry them which would have been heavier than the DXR's!

At this moment, I'm very likely to stick with my DXR15's and KW181's. Whilst I would love to get something lighter that can still cover the size of events I'm doing, this doesn't really exist at my budget. I can't justify the cost of one of these high end small systems so don't really see any option but to stick with the DXR's.

On a side note I hadn't checked out the Yamaha cases for the DXR15's and these look great. They can be kept on while the speaker is being used and have an inner mesh to protect the speaker from light rain and the rear flaps form a roof to protect the amp and connectors. This is extremely useful and I wish I knew about these covers before as I've had to delay setup for some events due to light rain or have had to cover the speakers with plastic bags which badly messes up the FOH sound! This is swaying me even more towards keeping the DXR15's!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:02:48 AM by Richard Penrose »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »

I can appreciate your read on the situation, and your solution. I'd just like to throw this out there.

Always have a 2 wheel dolly with good flat-free tires. For things like this you just dolly your subs across the gravel, grass, sand, broken concrete, glass, barb wire, 2 steps up then 2 steps down around behind the kitchen next to the grease trap type gigs.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »

Always have a 2 wheel dolly with good flat-free tires. For things like this you just dolly your subs across the gravel, grass, sand, broken concrete, glass, barb wire, 2 steps up then 2 steps down around behind the kitchen next to the grease trap type gigs.
i also have a 2 wheel appliance dolly, with those stair climber tracks.
I welded on a bigger base plate, and it's no big deal to strap speakers, consoles, racks, etc. to it and muscle up and down stairs in relative safety.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2021, 03:29:40 PM »

Thanks. Yes I've considered a 2 wheel dolly but it wouldn't work for me because :-

-1: My small van is at capacity when fully loaded

-2: Some of the venues are beach venues and can't wheel a dolly across soft dry sand

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »

Thanks. Yes I've considered a 2 wheel dolly but it wouldn't work for me because :-

-2: Some of the venues are beach venues and can't wheel a dolly across soft dry sand

-1 Roof Rack ?
-2 Venue to supply muscle when you don't have a Gator.......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2021, 08:01:53 PM »

-1 Roof Rack ?
-2 Venue to supply muscle when you don't have a Gator.......
Chris.

You need a Sandhopper.

https://mysandhopper.com/shop

Doesn't help Richard's issue with size/weight (makes it worse) but by golly, he'd make the gear move in style!
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »

You need a Sandhopper.

https://mysandhopper.com/shop

Doesn't help Richard's issue with size/weight (makes it worse) but by golly, he'd make the gear move in style!
Those are some strange looking tires.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2021, 09:47:00 PM »

Foldable Dolly.  I used one for years.  Of course, they are not AS good as a real heavy duty dolly; however, many a sub was moved with them :)

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 10:46:41 AM »

Foldable Dolly.  I used one for years.  Of course, they are not AS good as a real heavy duty dolly; however, many a sub was moved with them :)

What Scott said :-).

I have used one of these this for years and it has been a life and back saver: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R10RT--rock-n-roller-r10rt-max-multi-cart

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 10:46:41 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.