ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Change my current system?  (Read 6419 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
Re: Change my current system?
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 04:29:02 AM »

Yep I’m definitely not considering changing to the SRX818 subs. For the size of events I’m doing (up to 400 ish) the KW181’s are doing a great job.

I have a feeling I’m not going to find anything as good but lighter at around £3000. I think my budget would need to a least double for a smaller lightweight active system that can at least match the performance of what I already have.
The Yamaha DXR’s have really hit the sweet spot for price vs performance and offer a lot of speaker for your money! Also, the QSC KW181’s offer a lot of performance in a fairly small and reasonably lightweight 18” speaker! I haven’t found anything around £2000 (what I paid) for the pair that outperforms these that don’t weigh more. The next 15” active speaker that I would consider as a potential upgrade without weighing more is the RCF HDM45 but these cost close to three times the price of what I originally paid for my DXR15’s!! Maybe if an exceptional ex demo deal came up I would consider these but I definitely can’t justify the price difference when my current system is earning money and I consistently get compliments on the sound.

If weight reduction is your primary goal, what about moving to 12" mains and 15" subs? I've been using JBL PRX815XLFW's and I'm quite happy with them (56 lbs I think and very manageable). Can't say how they perform compared to your KW181's or the KS212c or KS112. Something like the JTR Captivator 212PRO (67 lbs) would be a step up while still giving some weight savings. And the Yamaha 12" tops are proven performers. I used 15" tops for years and don't miss lugging them around or hoisting them on poles at all. Sound wise I think 12's sound better than 15's as long as you have subs.

James Paul

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 07:39:24 AM »

For consideration to the OP.
Yamaha DZR10 over DXS15XLF x2, exceeds the £3000 limit some £500 by Thomann posted pricing, though sacrifices practically nothing spec wise to the current DXR15/KW181 other than weight and size. I would wager closer to budget target is probable with some price shopping.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/search.html?gk=palp&bf=yamaha&ls=100
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-dzr10-d-dxs15xlf-d
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/brochure/4/1174324/dzr_czr_brochure.pdf

Richard Penrose

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »

Thanks. Both good suggestions except that I often use the DXR15’s by themselves when it’s impractical to carry a sub (often outdoor venues that have loads of steps down to amphitheater’s). The DXR15’s work great in these situations and can handle bass guitar and drums surprisingly well for a speaker on a pole. I wouldn’t want to go any smaller. The DXR12’s don’t handle bass guitar or drums and after using the DZR12’s I don’t think the DZR10 would either!

I need something light enough for me to carry up and down steps and be able to handle bass and drums for around 200-300 people with a sub that’s 22kg as this is what I’m currently carrying with the DXR15’s and this is definitely my limit. I have done events with a single pair of DXR15’s for 320 people at one amphitheater as the acoustics were amazing and possibly the best I’ve ever heard for live bands but most gigs are around 150-200 people.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:19:19 PM by Richard Penrose »

Ed Taylor

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 10:22:31 AM »

can of spray paint to address the "tatty", hire an out of work hand to help with the load and keep the old rig working until this planet fully opens back up and the $ are flowing as they should.
that's my current strategy.
Friend in the biz longer than me, has always said...the private event level client doesn't know if it's QSC, Mackie, RCF, etc..they just know that you made it sound good, you were on time, professional and polite.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 04:04:43 PM »

can of spray paint to address the "tatty", hire an out of work hand to help with the load and keep the old rig working until this planet fully opens back up and the $ are flowing as they should.
Friend in the biz longer than me, has always said...the private event level client doesn't know if it's QSC, Mackie, RCF, etc..they just know that you made it sound good, you were on time, professional and polite.

Yes I don’t think I can better what I have and still have the flexibility and performance I need until I get to £6000+  This is a price I simply cannot justify when what I have is earning money and definitely not had any complaints!
I also agree with what your friend says!

JohnPinchin

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »

When you have a rig that works for your regular gigs making an upgrade is a tricky process.   

I'm in a similar position, I do a lot of function and tribute bands, and currentl use hk audio with two rigs an actor (4x15, 2x12) and a pulsar (4x18, 2x12) with a couple of extra subs for each so I can mix and match to cover plenty of gigs.     
I'd like to go for something like a jbl srx835p over srx828sp rig that would cover my loudest gigs with headroom to spare for fewer boxes and a simpler setup but I wouldn't really earn anymore for a £6k outlay.  It would give me a system that can expand further though so it has to be part of a longer term plan.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2021, 05:36:03 PM »

Yes I totally agree that I’m not likely to earn any more but the whole point of changing is to have something much lighter and smaller.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »

My QSC KW181/Yamaha DXR15 system cost me £3000 and this is my budget.

Funny thing about sound gear. The manufacturers all know what everyone else is doing.  In the same price range, you are pretty much going to find about the same set of features.  Sound gear gets purchased in a triangle, consisting of quality, wight and price.  Adjusting one means adjusting the others to match.

So, if you want to decrease the weight of your system, you'll either have to increase the price, or decrease the quality, or some of both.  There's no free lunch here.

As far as scuffed up speakers go, a touch of paint on certain cabinets can go a long way.  Or, if you want to get really fancy, look into covers for your speakers.  It's amazing how well a nice cover can hide a ratty speaker underneath.  As an example of this already in use, next time you're at a venue, take a look at the tables BEFORE they put the tablecloths on.  You might be amazed at how horrid they look 'naked', but look just fine once they are covered.  Use the same strategy with your speakers and they can look brand new for every show.
Brian Jojade

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 02:29:11 PM »

Words to live by. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.