ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 x-live SD card recording question  (Read 622 times)

Mike Karseboom

Re: x32 x-live SD card recording question
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 07:07:21 PM »

I have not tried all the techniques mentioned here so can't comment on their validity.  However it seems to me that you have to be very careful if you soft patch an input and expect to record it.  The general rule is that the card will record what is present at the physical input or output.  So soft patching can introduce some confusion and possibly missed channels.

For example, suppose you only have 16 regular XLR inputs available and you need two more inputs for a stereo keyboard.  You cleverly plug the keyboard  into Aux In 1&2. Then you soft patch regular channels 17&18 to get their signals from Aux 1&2 so you can use all the features of a regular channel.

Now if you had set your SD card for 32 channel recording and set the card input blocks to ch 1-8, ch 9-16, ch 17-24, and ch25-32, you would expect to record they keyboard on ch 17 and 18.  But you will probably get nothing. 

There is no signal on the physical input for Ch 17 &18.  Of course you don't even have a physical Ch 17 & 18 but even if you did, soft patching them to Aux In 1&2 would cause the same failure to record. 

They keyboard input signal is present on physical inputs Aux 1&2.  So to record it you should make Aux in 1-6 +TB one of your Card Input Blocks.

This has been my experience anyway.

Note that when it comes to soft patching to outputs, the rules are a little different and there are many tricks you can do to get an input routed to the card via an output block.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: x32 x-live SD card recording question
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 07:07:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 17 queries.