Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Lighter weight sub?

<< < (6/6)

Tim Weaver:
Years back I built a pair of single 18's just for this one band that I did a lot of work with. For some reason this band did a lot of private parties in some rich guy's backyard and I wanted lightweight subs that were very efficient.

What I ended up with was the EV TL505 boxes in non-stepped down mode. I happened to have the EVM18b's kicking around so it made sense for me then.

I built these cabs based on the TL505 but modernized to use round ports and a truck bed liner'd finish. They looked nice actually. The comprimises I made were: They were efficient but didn't play very deep. They also were built out of a single layer of 3/4" birch ply and not very heavily braced. This made them both light and "stiff enough" for the 400 watts I would be throwing at them. They ended up being around 65 pounds each and I could handle them solo fairly easy.

If I didn't have the EVM18's laying around I would look for the most efficient Neo driver I could get and do the same if this situation comes up often enough. Just use the lightweight subs on these gigs and keep the Yorkvilles for everything else.

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on August 22, 2021, 12:46:26 PM ---
If I didn't have the EVM18's laying around I would look for the most efficient Neo driver I could get and do the same if this situation comes up often enough. Just use the lightweight subs on these gigs and keep the Yorkvilles for everything else.

--- End quote ---
You would also want to look for drivers that have a lot more than the  EVM18B's 3.3mm Xmax.

Given more power, doubling displacement adds 6dB output, 15+mm Xmax is common now, and some 18" are in the 50mm range!

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Art Welter on August 22, 2021, 06:23:58 PM ---You would also want to look for drivers that have a lot more than the  EVM18B's 3.3mm Xmax.

Given more power, doubling displacement adds 6dB output, 15+mm Xmax is common now, and some 18" are in the 50mm range!

--- End quote ---

For sure! If I were buying drivers there's plenty of great, lightweight drivers out there to make some decent small and fairly light subs. I had designed a dual Eminence Kappalite 3012LF that looked promising. Would have had a good amount of chooch and able to be carried in one hand.

Mal Brown:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on August 22, 2021, 11:44:54 PM ---
For sure! If I were buying drivers there's plenty of great, lightweight drivers out there to make some decent small and fairly light subs. I had designed a dual Eminence Kappalite 3012LF that looked promising. Would have had a good amount of chooch and able to be carried in one hand.

--- End quote ---

I use a pair of 3012 lf's plus a 6" alpha mid in one of my bass rigs.  That is a great driver!  I aso built a couple of small lightweight subs using braced 12mm baltic birch using 3012lf's. One is in use other another local sound co as the bottom of their drum monitor with a co-ax 12 box on top.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Mal Brown on August 22, 2021, 11:58:05 AM ---I vote for strapping young lads  ;-)

--- End quote ---

So the beatings will continue?  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version