Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Lighter weight sub?

(1/6) > >>

Dan Godwin:
After two gigs this weekend that required 17+ stairs, I’m considering some lighter subs.  I’m not as young as I used to be and I’m definitely feeling it in my back.  I’ve been using 2 Yorkville LS701p which weigh in at a measly 95lbs.  Any recommendations?  Should I just hire some strapping young lads to do the grunt work?  Thanks!

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Dan Godwin on June 14, 2021, 12:45:58 PM ---After two gigs this weekend that required 17+ stairs, I’m considering some lighter subs.  I’m not as young as I used to be and I’m definitely feeling it in my back.  I’ve been using 2 Yorkville LS701p which weigh in at a measly 95lbs.  Any recommendations?  Should I just hire some strapping young lads to do the grunt work?  Thanks!

--- End quote ---
is it just the weight that you are interested in?

Or does freq response and output SPL matter to you?  or something else?

Does it need a pole cup?  Remember that a lightweight base can easily tip over, depending on the top you have on it.  Does that matter?

Knowing the actual needs will help to get useful responses.

Dan Godwin:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on June 14, 2021, 01:13:01 PM ---is it just the weight that you are interested in?

Or does freq response and output SPL matter to you?  or something else?

Does it need a pole cup?  Remember that a lightweight base can easily tip over, depending on the top you have on it.  Does that matter?

Knowing the actual needs will help to get useful responses.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Ivan.  I knew as soon as I posted, I should’ve added more information. Weight is the primary reason for considering something else.  I’d assume the Frequency response can only get better from the band pass sub I’m using now. I’d like similar output if possible but recognize that may not be possible.  Pole cup is nice but not 100% needed. I’m currently using DSR12 for tops. Thanks!

Paul G. OBrien:
Is that sub really as loud as the specs state? Being a bandpass I anticipate it having a giant peak like response and for that reason I have always dismissed it thinking it will be a one note wonder.

Yorkvilles PS15s is a fantastic little sub with impressive output for such a small box, I find it easy to move compared to the es18p for example, but it's only a few pounds lighter than the old ls701 so not much help there. On paper the ps15s has 5-6db less continuous output than the LS701 but if the old bandpass doesn't have a very flat response then the PS15 may actually out perform it... and sound a lot more musical.

There are 15" powered subs from all the usual brands that could be substituted but the obvious selection to pair with DSR's would be one of the DXS bandpass subs or a new XLF model.

Brian Jojade:
I doubt there is much on the market that's going to offer a significant weight reduction and still give the performance needed.  A 70lb box vs a 90 lb box still is too much to drag up stairs alone at any age.  These should be 2 person loads.

Now, you might be able to save some strain by getting a stair climber dolly, but up and down more than 1 or 2 stairs, I'd insist on more people doing the job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version