ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighter weight sub?  (Read 7092 times)

Dan Godwin

Lighter weight sub?
« on: June 14, 2021, 12:45:58 PM »

After two gigs this weekend that required 17+ stairs, I’m considering some lighter subs.  I’m not as young as I used to be and I’m definitely feeling it in my back.  I’ve been using 2 Yorkville LS701p which weigh in at a measly 95lbs.  Any recommendations?  Should I just hire some strapping young lads to do the grunt work?  Thanks!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Lighter weight sub?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 01:13:01 PM »

After two gigs this weekend that required 17+ stairs, I’m considering some lighter subs.  I’m not as young as I used to be and I’m definitely feeling it in my back.  I’ve been using 2 Yorkville LS701p which weigh in at a measly 95lbs.  Any recommendations?  Should I just hire some strapping young lads to do the grunt work?  Thanks!
is it just the weight that you are interested in?

Or does freq response and output SPL matter to you?  or something else?

Does it need a pole cup?  Remember that a lightweight base can easily tip over, depending on the top you have on it.  Does that matter?

Knowing the actual needs will help to get useful responses.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dan Godwin

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 01:18:19 PM »

is it just the weight that you are interested in?

Or does freq response and output SPL matter to you?  or something else?

Does it need a pole cup?  Remember that a lightweight base can easily tip over, depending on the top you have on it.  Does that matter?

Knowing the actual needs will help to get useful responses.

Thanks Ivan.  I knew as soon as I posted, I should’ve added more information. Weight is the primary reason for considering something else.  I’d assume the Frequency response can only get better from the band pass sub I’m using now. I’d like similar output if possible but recognize that may not be possible.  Pole cup is nice but not 100% needed. I’m currently using DSR12 for tops. Thanks!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 11:52:51 PM »

Is that sub really as loud as the specs state? Being a bandpass I anticipate it having a giant peak like response and for that reason I have always dismissed it thinking it will be a one note wonder.

Yorkvilles PS15s is a fantastic little sub with impressive output for such a small box, I find it easy to move compared to the es18p for example, but it's only a few pounds lighter than the old ls701 so not much help there. On paper the ps15s has 5-6db less continuous output than the LS701 but if the old bandpass doesn't have a very flat response then the PS15 may actually out perform it... and sound a lot more musical.

There are 15" powered subs from all the usual brands that could be substituted but the obvious selection to pair with DSR's would be one of the DXS bandpass subs or a new XLF model.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:07:28 AM by Paul G. OBrien »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 03:34:51 AM »

I doubt there is much on the market that's going to offer a significant weight reduction and still give the performance needed.  A 70lb box vs a 90 lb box still is too much to drag up stairs alone at any age.  These should be 2 person loads.

Now, you might be able to save some strain by getting a stair climber dolly, but up and down more than 1 or 2 stairs, I'd insist on more people doing the job.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 11:38:36 AM »

You don't need a lighter sub - 20 lbs won't make a significant difference with 17 steps- you need a helper AND bill the client for that person.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »

Being a bandpass I anticipate it having a giant peak like response and for that reason I have always dismissed it thinking it will be a one note wonder.

Bandpass designs can sound as good (or bad!) as any other. I built one a little while ago (the chosen drivers practically forced a 4th order bandpass), and it sounded great once properly integrated.

A "gotchya" is that the bandpass forms its own acoustic crossover slope at the top end, so you've got to factor that in when programming your processor. A 12dB/octave Butterworth (electrical) slope might get you a resulting 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley.

There are plenty of badly-designed bandpass subs, and plenty of well-designed ones being used badly.

I quite liked the 4th order bandpass for the following advantages:
- No particular need for an infrasonic filter - it would provide some output at 10Hz on account of the sealed back chamber.
- With a pair of drivers, you can set the internals up for force cancellation. Bonus points if you get the port(s) passing cool air directly over the magnets.
- Smaller than a well-aligned ported box
- Lots and lots of output, albeit not going as low as a bigger ported box.

A double-edged-sword is that the acoustic bandpass filters out most of the distortion from the drivers. The sound stays pretty clean until the drivers are seriously struggling (and likely about to fail).

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »

You don't need a lighter sub - 20 lbs won't make a significant difference with 17 steps- you need a helper AND bill the client for that person.
This +1.  They pay for stairs.  (period)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 03:08:28 PM »

This +1.  They pay for stairs.  (period)

And when the client complains, tell them to take it up with the venue that didn't have roll in access to their space available. Any other business has additional charges for this sort of thing. We need to be able to do exactly the same thing.
Brian Jojade

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »

And when the client complains, tell them to take it up with the venue that didn't have roll in access to their space available. Any other business has additional charges for this sort of thing. We need to be able to do exactly the same thing.

Exactly or move his event(s) to a venue with proper access.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.