Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

SIM is Dead?

(1/5) > >>

Justice C. Bigler:
So Meyer has moved SIM3 to their discontinued products list.

https://meyersound.com/documents/

Rumor is that there won't be a SIM4 and that Meyer will be officially endorsing Smaart v9 for measurement purposes.

I wonder if there will be a USB to SIM port adapter to connect to the Galaxies...?

Brian Bolly:
SIM had a good run, but Smaart is an extremely capable platform now.  Oh, and the price/size thing of SIM3 as well.  I don't plan on getting rid of my SIM3 rig, but it may not go much beyond shop testing and measurements now.

Since the SIM Bus is nothing more than a couple audio lines and some switching voltage lines, you can certainly break those lines out for the processor measurement trace I/O for your Smaart interface.  But with AVB on the Galaxy, you could likely pull a processor trace over the network as well.  I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Also, what is this Smaart v9 you speak of?   ;D

Luke Geis:
I lost my V6 license and was looking into V8. Pretty expensive to re-up and now they are talking V9.... They are turning into the Pro-Tools of the audio measurement world. At this point, they may as well go to a subscription-based format.

Justice C. Bigler:

--- Quote from: Luke Geis on June 13, 2021, 01:51:52 PM ---I lost my V6 license and was looking into V8. Pretty expensive to re-up and now they are talking V9.... They are turning into the Pro-Tools of the audio measurement world. At this point, they may as well go to a subscription-based format.

--- End quote ---
Smaart V8 was released more than 5 years ago. And if you have a current license, then you get all the updates for that version of Smaart for free. They do charge an upgrade fee when moving from one major release to the next. But it's a far cry from Avid's yearly upgrades and Support fee or their subscription model.

Also, I have no direct knowledge of Smaart V9. It just seemed like the logical point to build in SIM compatibility.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Justice C. Bigler on June 13, 2021, 01:35:34 AM ---{...}
Rumor is that there won't be a SIM4 and that Meyer will be officially endorsing Smaart v9 for measurement purposes.

I wonder if there will be a USB to SIM port adapter to connect to the Galaxies...?[/size]

--- End quote ---

I was wondering if this might happen. Very few of the reasons that SIM 3 was an important product are still true today, and a stand-alone successor was always going to be a nearly-impossible sell given that the market value of a multi-channel dual-FFT analyzer these days is less than $2k all in. In my mind, Meyer's best bet for a "SIM 4" would be some sort of Compass integration that provides the traditional SIM workflow while leveraging an existing software dual-FFT platform, possibly with a SIM Bus to USB adapter for legacy Galileo support (i.e. the ones that don't have AVB like Brian mentioned).

--- Quote from: Justice C. Bigler on June 13, 2021, 02:32:39 PM ---Smaart V8 was released more than 5 years ago. And if you have a current license, then you get all the updates for that version of Smaart for free. They do charge an upgrade fee when moving from one major release to the next. But it's a far cry from Avid's yearly upgrades and Support fee or their subscription model. {...}

--- End quote ---

In addition, historically, if you purchase Smaart in the 3-ish months before a new version comes out they'll upgrade you to that new version for free (so, for example, people who purchased Smaart v7 in the 3.5 months prior to Smaart v8's release were given a free upgrade). Also, unlike with some other software developers, upgrading Smaart doesn't cancel the old licenses, meaning that someone with two-seat Smaart v7 who upgrades to Smaart v8 will end up with four seats of Smaart in total.

Luke, have you tried contacting Rational Acoustics? I'm not sure, but they might be able to help find your license information (and the upgrade from v6 to v8 is much cheaper than buying v8 outright).

--- Quote from: Luke Geis on June 13, 2021, 01:51:52 PM ---I lost my V6 license and was looking into V8. Pretty expensive to re-up and now they are talking V9.... {...}

--- End quote ---

For what it's worth, the only mention of a v9 from Rational Acoustics I can find was from last year, stating that it "will be driven completely by a meme-based user interface". Other than that, while I'm sure there's a Smaart 9 in the pipeline somewhere, Smaart 8 isn't really missing much (including the API that Meyer would need to develop integrations).

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version