ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the modern day equivalent of the EAW kf650  (Read 6759 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: What is the modern day equivalent of the EAW kf650
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 02:29:06 AM »

A few things nobody mentioned.  At 142 lbs one person can't stack a KF65.  It is best to use an eaw processor and they are getting harder to find and older. 

If I was starting over for my point source I would pick up 4 SM-80, 4 - SM46 - 4 TH-1118 and 4 TH-115.  Danley or Powersoft amps would allow you to create a myriad of presets.  There are a lot of different combinations in a package like that that will take you right up to the edge of line arrays or whatever your flown rig is.

Someone just listed 2 SRX-835P with covers for $1200 in the marketplace.  That's not going to last long.  I also still have a pair of STX-828S (a step up from the SRX but it is passive)  That would be a hell of a rig for about $4000 plus shipping, and an amp for the sub.  You could make money today while you figure out your long term play.  No pushing on the subs I have for sale either, the calculus works for SRX-828P too.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:32:40 AM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »

A few things nobody mentioned.  At 142 lbs one person can't stack a KF65.  It is best to use an eaw processor and they are getting harder to find and older. 

If I was starting over for my point source I would pick up 4 SM-80, 4 - SM46 - 4 TH-1118 and 4 TH-115.  Danley or Powersoft amps would allow you to create a myriad of presets.  There are a lot of different combinations in a package like that that will take you right up to the edge of line arrays or whatever your flown rig is.

Someone just listed 2 SRX-835P with covers for $1200 in the marketplace.  That's not going to last long.  I also still have a pair of STX-828S (a step up from the SRX but it is passive)  That would be a hell of a rig for about $4000 plus shipping, and an amp for the sub.  You could make money today while you figure out your long term play.  No pushing on the subs I have for sale either, the calculus works for SRX-828P too.

Does anyone have experience splaying a pair of SM80's - 2 per side? Do they play nicely or at least manageable?

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2021, 08:27:35 PM »

I’m not in the US unfortunately. I am sure that would be an excellent system.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 10:56:04 PM »

Does anyone have experience splaying a pair of SM80's - 2 per side? Do they play nicely or at least manageable?
Yeah, not ideal, but perfectly acceptable.
I’ve used pairs together when spl trumped quality and was pleasantly surprised. Much better than any non arrayable speaker I’ve previously used.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Rick Powell

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 12:27:53 AM »

Yeah, not ideal, but perfectly acceptable.
I’ve used pairs together when spl trumped quality and was pleasantly surprised. Much better than any non arrayable speaker I’ve previously used.
The SM80 angles allow for a fairly non overlapping pattern if tight packed side by side, but you almost have a semi-circle of coverage at 160 degrees. That may or may not be useful depending on the situation.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 01:05:08 AM »

The SM80 angles allow for a fairly non overlapping pattern if tight packed side by side, but you almost have a semi-circle of coverage at 160 degrees. That may or may not be useful depending on the situation.
I think he was asking based on using the SM80 at useable angles (say 90* or so). I’ve set them up side by side with little to no splay as well as stacked. Stacked does sound slightly better but is not always practical.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2021, 07:49:51 AM »

I think he was asking based on using the SM80 at useable angles (say 90* or so). I’ve set them up side by side with little to no splay as well as stacked. Stacked does sound slightly better but is not always practical.

That's interesting - I hadn't thought of stacking, only splaying for coverage. Did you notice any coupling, especially in the lower mids?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2021, 09:12:57 AM »

One characteristic that I have found when working with boxes that more and more resemble a point source, is that when they comb....they comb deep.  Even just one per side, feeding the same content to each box, and being ever so slightly off the centerline, or worse...in the wind, you get really bad nulls.   Honestly, you would expect this as its textbook physics.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »

Fulcrum DX1295 (also have a 60 degree version) - Does not have the Neo co-ax of the FA22, but same dual 12" design and cheaper.

I purchased a pair of DX1265s off another member a few years ago, I don't know if they are a 650 killer but they were definitely a step up from the SRX715 level contenders.

Mine have handles, so I assume that is still an option you can request if you are purchasing new.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 04:24:39 PM »

One characteristic that I have found when working with boxes that more and more resemble a point source, is that when they comb....they comb deep.  Even just one per side, feeding the same content to each box, and being ever so slightly off the centerline, or worse...in the wind, you get really bad nulls.   Honestly, you would expect this as its textbook physics.

If you've amp channels to spare, 2x SM80/side could be used without combing: send different instruments to the different speakers. Vocals & GTR to one pair, keys, bass and drums to the other, for example.

It needs a bit of setting up at the desk with post-fade Aux sends etc, but it can be done.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 04:24:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.