ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the modern day equivalent of the EAW kf650  (Read 6476 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: What is the modern day equivalent of the EAW kf650
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 11:44:01 PM »

While the SM80 does what it does quite well, when I think of a KF650... an SM 80 is missing the entire LF bandpass.

Yes.  I think the SH46 would be a better comparison/step up, or more accurately - a modern KF850 in a KF650 box.  The main points of the KF650 are that it had output, clarity (3-way), low-mids (15" driver), and arrayable.  The SH46 has even more output, even more clarity, OK low mids, and more arrayable.  At lower weight (than KF850), lower cost, and lower amp cost. 

Other potential competitors are the Peter Morris PM60, if you're up for DIY.  Or TW Audio T24N, the Fulcrum models above, Bassboss AT-312.  Maybe even RCF TTP4A. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Rick Powell

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 02:22:08 AM »

Yes.  I think the SH46 would be a better comparison/step up, or more accurately - a modern KF850 in a KF650 box.  The main points of the KF650 are that it had output, clarity (3-way), low-mids (15" driver), and arrayable.  The SH46 has even more output, even more clarity, OK low mids, and more arrayable.  At lower weight (than KF850), lower cost, and lower amp cost. 

Other potential competitors are the Peter Morris PM60, if you're up for DIY.  Or TW Audio T24N, the Fulcrum models above, Bassboss AT-312.  Maybe even RCF TTP4A.

These models were exactly along the lines I was thinking.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 07:31:31 AM »

While the SM80 does what it does quite well, when I think of a KF650... an SM 80 is missing the entire LF bandpass.

I have both 650's and the Danley's. The SM 80's took the place of a pair of KF650z and do it with half the weight and 1/3 the power requirements. Now I did have the help of Ivan Beaver in setting up the rig but I constantly do shows with the SM 80's that used to be done with KF650's. The 80's are louder and wider and carry further.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:33:19 PM by Kemper Watson »

Kent Clasen

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »

Fulcrum FA22 for sure. Dave Gunness, VP of engineering at Fulrcum, designed many great EAW [and other EV] speakers. We just got some RCF TTP4A- it is fantastic as well!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:28:53 AM by Kent Clasen »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 10:18:01 AM »

I have both 650's and the Danley's. The SM 80 took the place of a pair of KF650z and do it with half the weight and 1/3 the power requirements. Now I did have the help of Ivan Beaver in setting up the rig but I constantly do shows with the SM 80 that used to be done with KF650's. The 80's are louder and wider and carry further.

I’d like to see some SPL measurements confirming this before I believe it.
On paper, putting a SM80 up against a pair of KF650z is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I owned SH50 a few years back, sounded very good but didn’t reach it’s stated SPL in my experience.

John L Nobile

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 06:02:39 PM »

Fulcrum FA22 for sure. Dave Gunness, VP of engineering at Fulrcum, designed many great EAW [and other EV] speakers. We just got some RCF TTP4A- it is fantastic as well!

The FA22's look like excellent speakers but is this the price for a pair of them?

https://reverb.com/item/14879509-fulcrum-acoustic-fa22ac-pair-w-bags-powered-mains

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 06:07:51 PM »

I’d like to see some SPL measurements confirming this before I believe it.
On paper, putting a SM80 up against a pair of KF650z is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I owned SH50 a few years back, sounded very good but didn’t reach it’s stated SPL in my experience.

I remember Mitch Grant being an early adopter of SH50 and he claimed it just did not get loud enough.  I think some changes were made, but that's all I remember about it.

650s with the z upgrade and greybox should be a potent package.  Used 650s with those upgrades could do some real work.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 06:09:38 PM »

The FA22's look like excellent speakers but is this the price for a pair of them?

https://reverb.com/item/14879509-fulcrum-acoustic-fa22ac-pair-w-bags-powered-mains

Looks about right to me, considering they are powered.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 07:35:15 PM »

I feel like most of the things people are mentioning are targeted smaller than the KF series but maybe that just reflects that the tech has improved.

Passive vs powered, doesn’t really matter. Probably passive.

I meant “above a typical wedding/pub setup”. I currently have RCF TT22a and 4 x sub 705. If I switched to say, an all SRX rig I would get a step up in output but I meant probably the next step above that. The TT22a are nice, but it’s still a 12 inch box a side. It only covers so many ppl.

Picture a larger wedding (say 400ppl) a corporate function, or a ticketed tribute show.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 08:29:26 PM »

I feel like most of the things people are mentioning are targeted smaller than the KF series but maybe that just reflects that the tech has improved.

Passive vs powered, doesn’t really matter. Probably passive.

I meant “above a typical wedding/pub setup”. I currently have RCF TT22a and 4 x sub 705. If I switched to say, an all SRX rig I would get a step up in output but I meant probably the next step above that. The TT22a are nice, but it’s still a 12 inch box a side. It only covers so many ppl.

Picture a larger wedding (say 400ppl) a corporate function, or a ticketed tribute show.
SM80's over TH118's.  I promise, one per side is more than enough and easily outperforms (maybe even double?) an SRX rig.  That would be my "full step up" from what you have.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 08:29:26 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.