ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the modern day equivalent of the EAW kf650  (Read 6810 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: What is the modern day equivalent of the EAW kf650
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2021, 10:37:37 PM »

The FA22's look like excellent speakers but is this the price for a pair of them?

https://reverb.com/item/14879509-fulcrum-acoustic-fa22ac-pair-w-bags-powered-mains

There's a substantial price jump between the FA22 (passive) and FA22AC (self-powered).  So much so that the -AC version was discontinued.  I'd get the regular FA22 and something like the Powersoft T604 amp. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 02:32:46 AM »

I’d like to see some SPL measurements confirming this before I believe it.
On paper, putting a SM80 up against a pair of KF650z is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I second this and also disagree with an SM80 being a significant step up from an SRX rig.  Having heard the SM80 demo'd in an outdoor venue that I regularly provide sound for I was less than impressed.  It's a great choice for the size/weight and clarity, but not overwhelmingly above the usual upper-level band rig suspects.  The J3 was a whole different story and I'd love to get ears on the J7.  Though I haven't heard a rig of SH46s myself I suspect they'd probably hit the mark of what the OP is looking for barring the former widespread saturation of the KF rigs. 

Bob Stone

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 02:34:22 AM »

SM80's over TH118's.  I promise, one per side is more than enough and easily outperforms (maybe even double?) an SRX rig.  That would be my "full step up" from what you have.

Yeah right...a 65lb single coax 12 rated at 134db peak is going to be double that of an SRX835 137db peak box? I get the Danley stuff is good, but I have a hard time believing it's that good.

John Schalk

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2021, 09:49:57 AM »

I meant “above a typical wedding/pub setup”. I currently have RCF TT22a and 4 x sub 705. If I switched to say, an all SRX rig I would get a step up in output but I meant probably the next step above that. The TT22a are nice, but it’s still a 12 inch box a side. It only covers so many ppl.

Picture a larger wedding (say 400ppl) a corporate function, or a ticketed tribute show.
Ah, the small provider conundrum of how to grow beyond a single point-source speaker per side.  I'll throw out some ideas, but it is a difficult jump to make.

EAW KF394 (also have a 60 degree version) - 143dB max at 65lbs!
EAW JFL210 - Legacy product. Constant curvature boxes. 52lbs, so you could get two per side on a sturdy pole/stand.
Fulcrum DX1295 (also have a 60 degree version) - Does not have the Neo co-ax of the FA22, but same dual 12" design and cheaper.

Also check out the small & loud thread that was running here just a week or so ago.  Lots of interesting options mentioned in it including newer products from Meyer and Adamson, all of which are decidedly out of my price range :(

Scott Bolt

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »

Yeah right...a 65lb single coax 12 rated at 134db peak is going to be double that of an SRX835 137db peak box? I get the Danley stuff is good, but I have a hard time believing it's that good.
Certainly the TH118's are .... and for most applications the sub section is the limiting factor, not the tops.  Also, ratings don't tell the whole story.

Given that, I'll agree that it is possibly NOT 2x the output overall as an SRX rig, but if it isn't, it is still a pretty good "full step up".  Of course as in all things YMMV and this is just my opinion.

I believe that there are a couple of members on this forum that have both SRX and the Danley rigs.  Perhaps one of them can comment.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:21:19 AM by Scott Bolt »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2021, 10:24:32 AM »

EAW KF394 (also have a 60 degree version) - 143dB max at 65lbs!
EAW JFL210 - Legacy product. Constant curvature boxes. 52lbs, so you could get two per side on a sturdy pole/stand.

KF394 sounds absolutely fantastic, but it's an expensive box compared to it's output. Not the loudest box around.
A pair of JFL210/213 on a stand is a decent solution and easy to set up for one person.

John Schalk

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2021, 03:09:01 PM »

KF394 sounds absolutely fantastic, but it's an expensive box compared to it's output. Not the loudest box around.
I pulled up the spec sheet for the KF364 & 394 and in the "printed materials" the peak SPL is listed as 134dB for both.  They have a higher peak SPL rating for the MF/HF horn, but they are limited by the peak SPL rating of the dual 10" low frequency section.  Those numbers are more in line with other similar speakers.  I guess the "145 Max SPL" on the website is a marketing number.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2021, 03:35:40 PM »

I pulled up the spec sheet for the KF364 & 394 and in the "printed materials" the peak SPL is listed as 134dB for both.  They have a higher peak SPL rating for the MF/HF horn, but they are limited by the peak SPL rating of the dual 10" low frequency section.  Those numbers are more in line with other similar speakers.  I guess the "145 Max SPL" on the website is a marketing number.

134dB sounds about right.
I’ve installed several as fills/delays for QX systems and used a pair as a small PA (with JFL subs).
Nice to mix on, but not a match for a pair of KF650z.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2021, 09:33:00 PM »

650s with the z upgrade and greybox should be a potent package.  Used 650s with those upgrades could do some real work.

For historical accuracy, the "Z upgrade" was offered for the KF850 but not KF650. There's no way to get from the earlier KF650 I/E versions to Z because other than the shape of the cabinet the "Z" is a redesign of the internals. The grey box processing is a major upgrade for all versions of the KF650 but the correct file needs to be used.

I'm digging way back into my KF650 knowledge, I haven't owned any in more than 10 years...
V1: KF650ix -admittedly my recollection is a little vague on this one, not many made of this model. I think I have the suffix correct and IIRC there's something different about the internal x-over network possibly most noticeable when in bi-amp mode.
V2: KF650isr or isp (the "r" is for road with handles, the "p" is for permanent install, no handles),
V3: KF650e same components as the "is" versions but updated flyware,
V4: KF650z complete redesign and the best sounding of the bunch.

The first 3 versions will work together, the Z version will only work with itself.

(Edits to add additional info)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:55:07 PM by Matthew Knischewsky »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2021, 09:49:25 PM »

For historical accuracy, the "Z upgrade" was offered for the KF850 but not KF650.

Did not that know that, thanks. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2021, 09:49:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.