Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Picking a Mic to Record Fireworks

<< < (3/7) > >>

John Hiemburg:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on June 13, 2021, 02:44:04 AM ---
GoPro Fusion in Grand Finale Fireworks

--- End quote ---

"Mom, when I grow up I want to be Jeff Lelko."

Just curious about the little 'campfire' burning in the center of the barge - is that part of the design, a practical or technical need, or ??

Tim Weaver:
I can't find an SPL rating anywhere, but I'm guessing the good old Buchanan Hammer would work fine. They are indestructable in every other regard. And they can be had pretty cheap.

https://products.electrovoice.com/na/en/635a/

Jeff Lelko:
Thanks Chris and Tim.  I definitely should have mentioned ahead of time that this is a rather unconventional use for a microphone.  I agree that the omnidirectional pickup pattern would be best for my use here.  My only question is that both suggested mics have a 80Hz LF cutoff - wouldn't something with more LF extension be preferred here to capture the "guts" of the booms?

--- Quote from: John Hiemburg on June 13, 2021, 07:54:53 AM ---"Mom, when I grow up I want to be Jeff Lelko."

Just curious about the little 'campfire' burning in the center of the barge - is that part of the design, a practical or technical need, or ??

--- End quote ---

I'm flattered!  I'll admit that rockets by day and lights/sound/pyro by night is a fun gig.  So the "campfire" is actually just the burning cardboard remnants of a cake (aka "repeater" or "multi-shot device").  They're single-use pre-loaded boxes that can fire anywhere from a dozen to many hundreds of individual shells/comets/mines/etc. on a single fuse.  For larger shows like this I'll use cakes for display enhancement with higher caliber shells breaking over top of them, whereas for smaller displays such as what you might see after a baseball game they'll be a larger component of the show.  They don't need the same setbacks from the crowd as conventional shells do. 

Since this was just cardboard burning on a barge deck there's no need to send someone in to put that out until after the display.  Certain display sites such as rooftops are much more sensitive to fire and need to be set up so that any burning product can be extinguished rapidly, but on the tighter confines of a barge (with unprotected edges at night) it's better to just let them burn until we can safely get in there to extinguish afterwards.  Cakes catching fire after use is common, so a smart display site is set up so that they can burn without spreading or touching off anything else.  I'll definitely have to recycle the campfire reference in the future though!  Maybe I'll bring some marshmallows with me in a few weeks!

John Hiemburg:
Very cool, thanks for the info.

This is a far cry from the old 'buss fuses loaded with black powder' that were the 'pyro' effects of my youth. We even built one unit that was a 2x4 with several light-sockets so we could blow several of these at one time. Amazing we're all still alive.

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: John Hiemburg on June 14, 2021, 12:11:53 PM ---Very cool, thanks for the info.

This is a far cry from the old 'buss fuses loaded with black powder' that were the 'pyro' effects of my youth. We even built one unit that was a 2x4 with several light-sockets so we could blow several of these at one time. Amazing we're all still alive.

--- End quote ---
Haha.
More than one flash-bang was a sputter and fizzle because the gaff wasn't wrapped tight enough....
Yes, I still have all my fingers and toes...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version