Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Picking a Mic to Record Fireworks

(1/7) > >>

Jeff Lelko:
Greetings,

With the Fourth of July a few weeks out Iím looking for suggestions on a suitable mic for recording the noise of my (professional) fireworks display.  Iíve destroyed enough GoPro mics from the extreme SPLs of being near large caliber shells during discharge.  Any ideas of what can survive and still get decent fidelity?  Thanks!

Milt Hathaway:
Senn 421

Helge A Bentsen:
Omni mics is your friends if you wish to record the low frequencies realistically over distance.
I'd use DPA 4061 or 4006/7.

Directional mics doesn't capture the low frequency over distance.

Keith Broughton:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on June 10, 2021, 09:16:14 pm ---Greetings,

With the Fourth of July a few weeks out Iím looking for suggestions on a suitable mic for recording the noise of my (professional) fireworks display.  Iíve destroyed enough GoPro mics from the extreme SPLs of being near large caliber shells during discharge.  Any ideas of what can survive and still get decent fidelity?  Thanks!

--- End quote ---
A pair of omnis ( away from crowd) and, if you can multi track, a shot gun pointed to the sky.

Riley Casey:
Sounds like a good application for PZM mics on a large ground plan. I do have to ask since these shells are normally bursting 100s of feet in the air how close are you getting your  Go Pros that the mics are failing? Mics near the launch tubes would seem a bad idea unless you're specifically trying to capture the launch over the air burst.

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on June 10, 2021, 09:16:14 pm ---Greetings,

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version