ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor Sub placement  (Read 924 times)

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
Re: Outdoor Sub placement
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 07:11:18 pm »

I think TV was referring to the array of subs.

Yes, I know. Dave, sorry about adding confusion. I was trying to get the client to pony up for a Line Array for the mains, that didn't happen :(
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 06:17:01 am »

I've been doing an outdoor gig for a few years now using (6) JBL SRX718s. This is what the budget allows, previously it was 4. Also, when I initially went to 6 subs, I had 3 per side, then changed to option A, it seemed to work out better.

I'm considering changing the placement. Currently, it's two placed vertically per side and two in the middle side by side. I've attached a document.

Your thoughts please on the A, B C options. I using option A now.

Garry

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably go with option C

Garry
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Tim Verhoeven

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 07:11:11 am »

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably go with option C

Nice! But also follow Caleb's idea of using prediction software to simulate the exact environment and setup you want. This will give you a better insights in what the best approach for your specific setup it.

I don't know if it is the case for JBL, but most higher tier vendors have such software freely available. If not EASE is always an option if JBL provides GLL files.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 02:23:24 pm »

Nice! But also follow Caleb's idea of using prediction software to simulate the exact environment and setup you want. This will give you a better insights in what the best approach for your specific setup it.

I don't know if it is the case for JBL, but most higher tier vendors have such software freely available. If not EASE is always an option if JBL provides GLL files.

I think using prediction software is a great idea, but for subwoofer arrays I wouldn't worry to much about whose models you're using. With a few (very notable and well-advertised) exceptions, I've never found modelling subwoofers to be particularly vendor-specific exercise because most subwoofers (especially single-driver subwoofers) are well within 6 dB of being perfectly omnidirectional, at which point there isn't going to be a particularly meaningful difference between modelling an array of SRX718Ss and an array of, say, Meyer MM-10s.

-Russ

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 06:36:43 pm »

While A may seem like a silly option, it is actually quite useful in specific situations.

If there is a dance floor, the bass concentration directly on the floor can be advantageous.  Also, for weddings, generally the people outside the dance floor area are fine with a reduced bass in the sound because it lets them talk over the music more easily.

For a festival situation where you are trying to get the most sound out at the best even spread, I like B and C.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 06:36:43 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.