ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Multitrack archiving  (Read 3727 times)

Brad Harris

Multitrack archiving
« on: June 09, 2021, 10:59:09 AM »

Who is multi tracking shows (Dante/USB/AVB/etc) to DAW, and how are you archiving after the gig?

Assortment of hard-drives, servers, cloud?

What about software? Any filing/naming conventions, archival database?

Any differences in workflow for tour/multi day events and single one offs?

Brad

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Multitrack archiving
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 11:42:28 AM »

I've been doing this for over a decade but only for a handful shows a year average.

I convert the uncompressed audio tracks to FLAC and archive on a local disk in my home desktop, organized in folders by date with the show title included.
If I do a mixdown, those get saved in FLAC format also with song titles if I have them in a "mixed" folder underneath the project folder.

ALAC is another option for archive format if that works better with your workflow. I use Reaper as a DAW which can natively use FLAC for track sources and output.
**caveat: FLAC and ALAC do not store any timecode as far as I know so pulling an archive to use alongside other media sources will require manual sync.

All that gets backed up to another local disk and to Crashplan (https://www.crashplan.com).

After the data grows much larger than what I have now, a different solution may be needed. For now, disk space technology is keeping up with my requirements without breaking the bank.
Other options for online archive are AWS S3 Glacier and Wasabi (https://wasabi.com). Those can get pricey depending on the usage: total data stored, data in, data out, etc.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 11:55:15 AM »

Other options for online archive are AWS S3 Glacier and Wasabi (https://wasabi.com). Those can get pricey depending on the usage: total data stored, data in, data out, etc.

A plug for Amazon Web Services Simple Storage Service (AWS S3). They charge by the MB and it may be less than you think. I don't have huge audio files but all my pictures and other stuff I care about are backed up there and it runs around $2.50 / month. I love the command line interface. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 12:24:48 PM »

A plug for Amazon Web Services Simple Storage Service (AWS S3). They charge by the MB and it may be less than you think. I don't have huge audio files but all my pictures and other stuff I care about are backed up there and it runs around $2.50 / month. I love the command line interface. --Frank

Yes...but caveats abound when working with the various storage tiers. 10TB at S3 Standard would be ~$230/mo but at "Deep Archive" it's ~$9.90.
"Deep archive" and Glacier require time to retrieve. Some tiers have data retrieval costs. All tiers incur data transfer costs coming back out of S3.
To get that entire 10TB back out would be ~$810 unless you pulled no more than 1TB/mo in which case it would be free.

You just have to be careful. You won't be warned before incurring charges.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 02:13:28 PM »

I can't imagine how long it would take me to up load 10TB over my satellite internet connection. I doubt that my connection would even stay stable long enough to finish the upload.

I store my stuff on hard drives.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 02:46:57 PM »

Samsung T5 SSDs comes in 1 and 2 TB and are fairly cheap.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 03:00:19 PM »

The method you should use depends on how much storage you'll need. I see no reason to use cloud based subscriptions when storage is so cheap. Since it will be archived, there's no need to keep it online and expose it to ransomware.

I've used a USB dock and just bought normal HDD's. If it's really important, I'll make 2 copies. Just find a dry secure place to store the HDD's. Having 2 copies means that you can keep them in 2 locations for even more safety. And don't use huge HDD's as you'll lose more data in case of failure.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I really don't trust my data with a service when I can do it myself.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 03:02:45 PM »

Samsung T5 SSDs comes in 1 and 2 TB and are fairly cheap.

I don't have a link to the research on hand but I recall reading that SSD retention isn't as good as HDD retention when "cold" (not powered on).
If using your own disks, John's suggestion of making two copies is a must. Buy new drives and refresh on a schedule.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 03:27:31 PM »

To get that entire 10TB back out would be ~$810 unless you pulled no more than 1TB/mo in which case it would be free.

You just have to be careful. You won't be warned before incurring charges.

Yikes! And thanks, Corey. Words to the wise. I always figured S3 was a gateway drug -- I'd better watch my usage. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 04:22:08 PM »

Local storage is most likely going to be less expensive than cloud storage solutions over time. (there are some exceptions under very specific use scenarios)

If you store on your own hard drives, it's imperative that you make sure you have an appropriate backup strategy.  Follow the 3:2:1 rule if you care about keeping your data.

Rotational hard drives are by far the most economical for archival storage today.  Realistically, expect 5 years of life out of a drive at max. At that point, you should migrate to new hardware.  Old drives are great for 3rd or 4th emergency backups though, so they don't completely go to waste.

The hardest part is deciding what you actually do want to keep and for how long, then determining how much storage space you'll end up needing.  One large volume makes things easier, but when something goes wrong, you risk the entire collection.  Smaller subsets of data on smaller drives is more to manage, but a failure of a single drive becomes less of a hassle to put back together.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 04:22:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.