ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multitrack archiving  (Read 3728 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Multitrack archiving
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »

Were all of your losses from the same batch of discs? Same manufacturer? The same burner? I've heard many anecdotes about this kind of failure but haven't heard many details.

I've pulled some stuff off of 10yr+ old DVD archives and had no issues but I've only attempted a tiny fraction of what I have on DVD. Back in the studio days I tried to save everything on DVD-R as well as DVD+R discs in an attempt to diversify. In the next few years I will hopefully go through and transfer the most important stuff to different media in order to avoid the bit rot. If you consider it a 10 year archive form, and then think about how much tech has (or will) advance in that 10 years, it buys you time to find a better archive method and perhaps cull some of what needs to be saved.

Again, I think of DVD as only one form of media with which to attempt your longer term archive.

Multiple media vendors, Apple Superdrive in a 2009 iMac.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2021, 02:22:53 PM »

I don't know... 'millennial disks' - aren't they (according to the news) most likely to go out and spend your data on avocado toast or get offended by something you stored on them?

I kid, I kid.

*dons flame suit just in case*

Eh, I'll just leave this here.

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2021, 03:02:41 PM »

I propose a toast ( dodges flying, charred bread )...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 08:55:51 PM »

I use Amazon Glacier for archival of multi-tracks, video footage, and personal backups.  I offload to local drives and annually when its slow push it up to AWS.

Yes, the prices and configuration can be a little head-scratching the first time but it otherwise works as advertised.  "Thawing" a file/folder out is relatively straight forward - just has a time period to wait.

Previously I used their AWS Snowball appliance - they send a large gray yeti cooler with some I/O ports and a Kindle screen that doubles as a UPS label.  Mostly recently I've used AWS Snowcone device which was a smaller 8TB rugged drive, $60 for 5 day "rental" and no data transfer fees in.  They've improved the software and user experience so no more command line interaction is required.

https://aws.amazon.com/snowball
https://aws.amazon.com/snowcone

You can also pre-config the settings on the bucket the inbound data is coming into so the files immediately transitions into deep Glacier storage.  I found AWS Support to be very helpful in ensuring I had it setup properly to minimize my bill. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 08:55:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.