ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Powered PA  (Read 2382 times)

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
Re: Battery Powered PA
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 08:20:51 AM »

Honda makes a great generator?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 02:38:33 PM »

I was thinking of the Sennheiser LSP 500.
I see they have been discontinued between now and the last time I used one. Bummer

That was my first thought as well. 

If they don't mind rolling out an EWI pre-built rack - some sort of heavy duty battery/UPS, and then run whatever simple DSP (Xilica?) with iPad GUI for control, WAP, wireless Rx, etc.  Then cables out to whatever self powered speakers fit the audience area the best.  As long as you don't have a pile of subwoofers - that should work great. 

Might be overkill for this specific scenario though.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 04:59:07 PM »

Did you look at the Denon Audio Commander?
https://www.denonpro.com/index.php/products/view3/audio-commander1

The Galaxy Audio stuff is....OK when you get a good unit. I ordered a pair of TQ8s, the first pair had major QC problems (buzzes, rattles). The "good" pair I finally received have hardly seen any use due to the pandemic.

I also have a pair of the Sennheiser LSP 500s and they're great for what they do but spendy and seemingly discontinued. They don't get too loud and they don't go too low BUT they do allow you to connect a REAL wireless system, which is something all of the other all in one systems lack. Galaxy and Denon... The wireless transmitters are cheap and flimsy. They work but they're not anything close to an EW100/835 wireless.

I will say that to get something loud that has to run all day I haven't found something suitable. My application is K-12 education. Every product I've mentioned is pretty ok for smaller groups outside/smaller area but just doesn't really have the authority for something like a track and field day, a fun fair, or similar. For that kind of application I'm still dragging out the long extension cords or a generator and using mains powered speakers. Any of the all in one battery systems that I've found the compromises are build quality, cost and volume.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 05:41:50 PM »

Every product I've mentioned is pretty ok for smaller groups outside/smaller area but just doesn't really have the authority for something like a track and field day, a fun fair, or similar.

hmmmm.... a Danley battery powered speaker? (there could be a market for that).  ;D

Maybe it could be called the "Mana" for it provides sustenance to those who are wandering through the proverbial desert.  ;D ;D ;D
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 06:19:00 PM »

hmmmm.... a Danley battery powered speaker? (there could be a market for that).  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/DanleySoundLabs/videos/548204209453982/
Here's a video where they did just that.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 07:32:38 AM »

Looking for a portable Battery Powered PA for a client.

Needs BT & WL Mic.

Would like 2 options (budget & expensive).

---

I've used the Denon/Marantz Envoi and it was/is excellent. But it's discontinued :(
https://www.denonpro.com/index.php/products/view/envoi

I've used the MiPro MA-808 before and the BT is junk and for $2k isn't worth it.

I know Anchor is the old standby but after experiencing them, they're super overpriced and a simple horn + woofer would do 10x better than their lame "line array" *laugh*

I thought Bose had a system, but I can't find it now.

I'll toss my 2-cents in here since I've been through the same situation (mostly).
I do mostly weddings and needed a small portable system (SOS and 2 wireless) for ceremonies far enough from power that running extension cords would be impractical.
Did not want to deal with dragging a generator around and dealing with fuel, etc.
Started with an Anchor system, can't remember which one but it was mid-level. Did not like the sound of the speaker and did not get nearly loud enough for a windy ceremony.
Also tried the Galaxy TQ8, which worked okay but again, not loud enough.
So it finally dawned on me that since I already bring 4 Yamaha DXR10's and an Audix dual wireless, why not try and use those?
I hooked up the small system with 2 DXR10's, a QSC Touchmix 16 and the Audix wireless and monitored power usage with a Kill-a-watt. I ran music from an iPod and used the mics for about an hour to get a good reading. 97 watts, 1.11 amps. .06 KWH.
Ordered a Jackery Explorer 500 battery pack from Amazon and ran the same rig for almost 2 hours. Had battery to spare.
So the only extra piece of gear I have to bring is the Jackery, which is pretty small and very quiet (it does have a small fan). If I need BT I use my Switchcraft 318BT into the TouchMix.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber