ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mac world needs a new OS!  (Read 2506 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: The Mac world needs a new OS!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 03:54:24 PM »

This is where I get frustrated.  For a very high percentage of what "we do" even streaming multiple 4K video streams and multitrack recording, the hardware has been capable for years-and truthfully the software has been as well.  At work I use PC's, at church we are a Mac shop.  Most of what I do in the media booth is straightforward stuff-playing playlists, maybe recording a service, ProPresenter media, accessing email, etc.  My headaches?  Apple decides JPEGs are wasteful (now that we have more memory than we know what to do with) and introduce HEICs.  Yeah, I can deal with them, but PP doesn't like them and sometimes the conversion doesn't work as it should.  It's 2021, why should getting a picture from a phone to the screen require jumping through hoops?

HEICs allow higher bit-depths and other useful features like native support for "live" photos I think. It's not just about space savings.

Certainly the frequency of product releases has increased a lot since Jobs died. I feel like Jobs had a firm grip on how much product they could actively support. After his death Apple started doing "flavors" of every product and the OS releases got faster and messier.

Most of the modern hardware and software world is still on a trajectory towards a more agile approach of faster iterations, even with rockets (SpaceX). I think it leads to more innovation overall but not always positive innovation and it certainly introduces more breaking changes.
Apple's hardware has certainly taken a dive over the past years from a power users perspective, introducing features that I don't want such as FaceID on iPhones and touch bars on laptops. The Macbook Pro doesn't perform nearly as well as its predecessors when compared relatively against other modern hardware. It's too thermally limited I think, probably due to the ever-shrinking physical dimensions.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 07:56:31 PM »

HEICs allow higher bit-depths and other useful features like native support for "live" photos I think. It's not just about space savings.

Apple is also moving to much deeper color space and dynamic range and JPEGs won't keep up.  Kind of like the difference between RAW video and H263.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 08:10:59 PM »

The Macbook Pro doesn't perform nearly as well as its predecessors when compared relatively against other modern hardware. It's too thermally limited I think, probably due to the ever-shrinking physical dimensions.

How true is this...

I had the original titanium MBP. The little 12" screen guy. It was tough as nails and I used it for years and years until it was stolen out of my car at a gig. My current 2017 MBP feels flimsy. If I rest my bear paws on it too hard it screws up the keypresses. Especially the spacebar. And don't get me started on only having usb-c ports!

I mean I'm fine with new ports. Give em to me, let me use them, but don't take away basic stuff like USB, HDMI, and a friggin NETWORK PORT.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 08:37:44 PM »

How true is this...

I had the original titanium MBP. The little 12" screen guy. It was tough as nails and I used it for years and years until it was stolen out of my car at a gig. My current 2017 MBP feels flimsy. If I rest my bear paws on it too hard it screws up the keypresses. Especially the spacebar. And don't get me started on only having usb-c ports!

I mean I'm fine with new ports. Give em to me, let me use them, but don't take away basic stuff like USB, HDMI, and a friggin NETWORK PORT.

Frankly, Apple doesn't care about the computer business and they don't give a fuck about the ports professional and creative users really need to do their jobs...  Apple's core income is from the iPhone, i(spy)Watch and App Store commissions, and for the computer crowd, the iPad is everything the Macbook was, minus the keyboard.  Why buy a new Macbook M1 when the new 1TB iPad is more machine? The Mac Mini M1 is an awesome little machine (and mind you, I despise Apple) that will likely collapse the iMac market segment.

I'd encourage those interested to watch the playback of the Apple WWDC keynote presentation from yesterday to get an idea of where Apple is encouraging developers and, by omission, where they are not.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 09:09:33 PM »

Frankly, Apple doesn't care about the computer business and they don't give a fuck about the ports professional and creative users really need to do their jobs...  Apple's core income is from the iPhone, i(spy)Watch and App Store commissions, and for the computer crowd, the iPad is everything the Macbook was, minus the keyboard.  Why buy a new Macbook M1 when the new 1TB iPad is more machine? The Mac Mini M1 is an awesome little machine (and mind you, I despise Apple) that will likely collapse the iMac market segment.

I'd encourage those interested to watch the playback of the Apple WWDC keynote presentation from yesterday to get an idea of where Apple is encouraging developers and, by omission, where they are not.

*old man grumbles.....

Sadly I think you are spot on. They reached market saturation in the creative world, and now they are abandoning that to chase profits, even though they are among the top ten biggest companies in the world.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 09:11:22 PM »

Just had to buy a new(er) Ipad to run some video software I want.  My old(er) one wouldn't go past 12.  >:(
I now have too many Ipads.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 10:00:52 PM »

Mac/Apple has been on a downward spiral since the advent of the I-phone. It seems every year they find a way to alienate more and more people and find more ways to fix something that isn't broken, and not fix what is broken...

I will not buy another Mac unless it is an absolute requirement and that need pays for it. These days a Windows machine will do anything you ask them to do. Mac is working on making themselves irrelevant; so says the pinwheel...
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 11:21:59 PM »

Just had to buy a new(er) Ipad to run some video software I want.  My old(er) one wouldn't go past 12.  >:(
I now have too many Ipads.

Might that software control the ATEM Mini Pro/Extreme supersource/DVE editor?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 11:57:19 PM »

Might that software control the ATEM Mini Pro/Extreme supersource/DVE editor?
Yup  Mixeffects needs 14.
I'm building a case to portablize my setup:
Atem Extreme Iso, Ipad, possibly RasPi, Streamdeck with Companion, ethernet switch, 17" monitor and 7" monitor with histogram, Hollyland Cosmo 600, etc.
I'll post some pix when I'm done.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:32:08 AM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John Fruits

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 10:03:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.