Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Sound Physics Lab TD-1

<< < (2/3) > >>

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: drew gandy on June 19, 2021, 06:16:54 PM ---These types of designs aren't just about simple crossover frequency numbers. The crossover from the compression driver to the mids is particularly important. But if you want simple numbers they are roughly 300Hz and 1.3Khz. Yes, that's a low crossover frequency for a 1" compression driver! 

Documentation for these was pretty slim even when new. I have some and I hope to upload a few different things in the coming weeks. But of course, that other thread that Nathan did had a lot of info. He did some significant leg work both in research AND cleaning up his boxen. Hopefully he reaped some benefits for it.

--- End quote ---

I love mine :)

Thanks for the help!

I meant that thread I started to be a culmination of all the various resources on them.

Bobby, as I said in my PM, there isnt a huge benefit to tri-amping them.

The passive xover with the 50w resistor upgrade will handle as much power as you can send them.

I power mine off a DNA20K4 and because of their very high impedance theres still not enough voltage swing to make them distort audibly.

I suppose you could get 2dB more out of them, but the effort isn't worth it IMO.

One 12g cable vs a NL8 seems 10x easier and lighter...

If you wanted some improvement try bi-amping them.

Woofers might take a bit more if you swapped for modern neo drivers...

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Nathan Riddle on June 19, 2021, 08:00:42 PM ---

Woofers might take a bit more if you swapped for modern neo drivers...

--- End quote ---
The original woofers were custom units, that were shallower than normal.  This was before the days of neo being used a lot.

BE SURE to check the fit of the clearance of the woofers, it can be a bit close.

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on June 29, 2021, 08:24:10 AM ---The original woofers were custom units, that were shallower than normal.  This was before the days of neo being used a lot.

BE SURE to check the fit of the clearance of the woofers, it can be a bit close.

--- End quote ---

MacPherson Monolith used super-shallow JBL 18s.  It's not exactly a line array but they were good sounding boxes.  Availability of that custom woof makes ownership nowadays a bit risky.

Bobby Gonzales:
Thank you guys for the responses. I've done some testing and decided to Bi amp them. I liked the response response I was getting in the 150hz-300hz range compare paired to using the passive crossover.
I picked up another pair of TD-1s this weekend and it was their touring edition. It had some helpful information on the back.
Here is a Picture
https://u.cubeupload.com/Rmgonzales/20210605164344.jpg

Nathan Riddle:

--- Quote from: Bobby Gonzales on July 05, 2021, 10:54:26 PM ---Thank you guys for the responses. I've done some testing and decided to Bi amp them. I liked the response response I was getting in the 150hz-300hz range compare paired to using the passive crossover.
I picked up another pair of TD-1s this weekend and it was their touring edition. It had some helpful information on the back.
Here is a Picture
https://u.cubeupload.com/Rmgonzales/20210605164344.jpg

--- End quote ---

That touring model is schweet looking! Surprising they allowed 3-way power hookups!

Where are you finding all these TD1's? I've wanted a second pair for years now...

Passive EQ would be the same for 150-300hz as bi-amp since xover is roughly 300hz.

Did you look at my captures?
How do yours compare?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version