ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Physics Lab TD-1  (Read 5533 times)

Bobby Gonzales

Sound Physics Lab TD-1
« on: June 07, 2021, 02:02:11 PM »

Hi everyone, I just picked up 6 TD-1 cabinets. I would like to tri amp them but I can't find any information on the crossover points. Does anyone have the manual or know?
I cant find the manual anywhere.

THANK YOU
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:16:31 PM by Bobby G »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Sound Physics Lab TD-1
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 04:01:54 PM »

{...}

Hi Bobby!

To post on these forums you'll need to set your Display Name to be your full, real name. If you change it quickly you might beat the mod that's inevitably coming to lock this thread.

(Also, just because it isn't sticky-ed anywhere, please be advised that e-mail notifications don't work.)

-Russ

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 12:03:46 AM »

Hi everyone, I just picked up 6 TD-1 cabinets. I would like to tri amp them but I can't find any information on the crossover points. Does anyone have the manual or know?

THANK YOU

Well, after about 15 minutes of searching I wasn't even able to find a PDF of the spec sheet, which I'm almost impressed by. Hopefully someone has some paperwork still lying around somewhere.

-Russ

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 09:39:43 AM »

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 06:16:54 PM »

THANK YOU

These types of designs aren't just about simple crossover frequency numbers. The crossover from the compression driver to the mids is particularly important. But if you want simple numbers they are roughly 300Hz and 1.3Khz. Yes, that's a low crossover frequency for a 1" compression driver! 

Documentation for these was pretty slim even when new. I have some and I hope to upload a few different things in the coming weeks. But of course, that other thread that Nathan did had a lot of info. He did some significant leg work both in research AND cleaning up his boxen. Hopefully he reaped some benefits for it.
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 08:00:42 PM »

These types of designs aren't just about simple crossover frequency numbers. The crossover from the compression driver to the mids is particularly important. But if you want simple numbers they are roughly 300Hz and 1.3Khz. Yes, that's a low crossover frequency for a 1" compression driver! 

Documentation for these was pretty slim even when new. I have some and I hope to upload a few different things in the coming weeks. But of course, that other thread that Nathan did had a lot of info. He did some significant leg work both in research AND cleaning up his boxen. Hopefully he reaped some benefits for it.

I love mine :)

Thanks for the help!

I meant that thread I started to be a culmination of all the various resources on them.

Bobby, as I said in my PM, there isnt a huge benefit to tri-amping them.

The passive xover with the 50w resistor upgrade will handle as much power as you can send them.

I power mine off a DNA20K4 and because of their very high impedance theres still not enough voltage swing to make them distort audibly.

I suppose you could get 2dB more out of them, but the effort isn't worth it IMO.

One 12g cable vs a NL8 seems 10x easier and lighter...

If you wanted some improvement try bi-amping them.

Woofers might take a bit more if you swapped for modern neo drivers...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 08:24:10 AM »

Woofers might take a bit more if you swapped for modern neo drivers...
The original woofers were custom units, that were shallower than normal.  This was before the days of neo being used a lot.

BE SURE to check the fit of the clearance of the woofers, it can be a bit close.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »

The original woofers were custom units, that were shallower than normal.  This was before the days of neo being used a lot.

BE SURE to check the fit of the clearance of the woofers, it can be a bit close.

MacPherson Monolith used super-shallow JBL 18s.  It's not exactly a line array but they were good sounding boxes.  Availability of that custom woof makes ownership nowadays a bit risky.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Bobby Gonzales

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 10:54:26 PM »

Thank you guys for the responses. I've done some testing and decided to Bi amp them. I liked the response response I was getting in the 150hz-300hz range compare paired to using the passive crossover.
I picked up another pair of TD-1s this weekend and it was their touring edition. It had some helpful information on the back.
Here is a Picture
https://u.cubeupload.com/Rmgonzales/20210605164344.jpg
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:59:34 PM by Bobby Gonzales »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 03:58:30 PM »

Thank you guys for the responses. I've done some testing and decided to Bi amp them. I liked the response response I was getting in the 150hz-300hz range compare paired to using the passive crossover.
I picked up another pair of TD-1s this weekend and it was their touring edition. It had some helpful information on the back.
Here is a Picture
https://u.cubeupload.com/Rmgonzales/20210605164344.jpg

That touring model is schweet looking! Surprising they allowed 3-way power hookups!

Where are you finding all these TD1's? I've wanted a second pair for years now...

Passive EQ would be the same for 150-300hz as bi-amp since xover is roughly 300hz.

Did you look at my captures?
How do yours compare?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 03:58:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.