Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Just had my first full week of work since the shutdown

<< < (2/3) > >>

Justice C. Bigler:
Holy crap!

I just booked two more days at the end of the month, and took on two consulting jobs, one of which will probably be a long term project for a PA replacement/renovation.

When I came back from Nashville at the beginning of April, after talking to people there; I had a hunch that everything was going to start back up starting in June. And sure as shit starting June 1st, I've booked more work for the month than I have had in total since leaving the tour 15 months ago.

My wife said to me this morning, "You sure are working a lot for someone who's unemployed".   8)

Justice C. Bigler:
You guys don't know how close I came to leaving the industry entirely.

I was set to go to CDL school. Had a start date set, funding in place, and had resigned myself to never working in theatre or live entertainment again.

Then in February, a week before I was supposed to report to the training center I slipped on the ice and broke my wrist. That pushed my start date back by two months. During that time I went out to the AES Spring Training event in Nashville to gauge the industry and see what things looked like. I came back cautiously optimistic and threw the dice and canceled my CDL training hoping that this would be a last ditch effort to stay in the audio world.

People that I talked to in Nashville all seemed to think that things would start back up in June/July and that we just needed to make it through a couple more months.

Well the flood gates have opened and I seem to be getting called to work every few days now. Our Local PAC is booked solid through the end of the summer, and October is non stop for the whole month. Our arena has two major rock and roll tours teching and rehearsing here, there's a Broadway show teching and rehearsing at the PAC in August. And the local Broadway presenter has just announced 8 shows in their next season starting this August and going through next August, all of them week long sits.

I think I'm finally close enough to not only see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I can make out the scenery outside too.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Justice C. Bigler on June 09, 2021, 05:18:12 PM ---You guys don't know how close I came to leaving the industry entirely.

I was set to go to CDL school. Had a start date set, funding in place, and had resigned myself to never working in theatre or live entertainment again.

Then in February, a week before I was supposed to report to the training center I slipped on the ice and broke my wrist. That pushed my start date back by two months. During that time I went out to the AES Spring Training event in Nashville to gauge the industry and see what things looked like. I came back cautiously optimistic and threw the dice and canceled my CDL training hoping that this would be a last ditch effort to stay in the audio world.

People that I talked to in Nashville all seemed to think that things would start back up in June/July and that we just needed to make it through a couple more months.

Well the flood gates have opened and I seem to be getting called to work every few days now. Our Local PAC is booked solid through the end of the summer, and October is non stop for the whole month. Our arena has two major rock and roll tours teching and rehearsing here, there's a Broadway show teching and rehearsing at the PAC in August. And the local Broadway presenter has just announced 8 shows in their next season starting this August and going through next August, all of them week long sits.

I think I'm finally close enough to not only see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I can make out the scenery outside too.

--- End quote ---

Yepper.  Like you, I was pessimistic in Feb when most of my summer festivals cancelled 2021... but I was getting calls to "'pencil in these dates".  Most of them, for April and May, went away as expected but from next week on, things have firmed up.

Things could still go backwards in parts of the USA and things could get much worse elsewhere in the world before things get 'long term' better. 

That light at the end of the tunnel is the ghost lamp we left on, March 13, 2020.  At least we can see it again!

Justice C. Bigler:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on June 09, 2021, 07:11:55 PM ---That light at the end of the tunnel is the ghost lamp we left on, March 13, 2020.  At least we can see it again!

--- End quote ---

Someone just threw that light at me and it hit me smack dab in the face. It left a big welt on my forehead.

Some stuff has happened that I can't talk about yet.   :-X

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Justice C. Bigler on June 09, 2021, 08:57:53 PM ---
Someone just threw that light at me and it hit me smack dab in the face. It left a big welt on my forehead.

Some stuff has happened that I can't talk about yet.   :-X

--- End quote ---

When it rains, it pours.  Keep me in the loop when the loop opens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version