ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Canopy for FOH  (Read 5018 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Canopy for FOH
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 02:42:52 AM »

This is the canopy I purchased for myself:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BSLQSVO/
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 08:39:04 AM »

The tent we use is mainly for sun shade but can give us a little bit of precipitation protection, remember we never say the R word.

In addition to the tarp rigged as a ceiling I used to use a thin white sidewall because where we did a summer concert series the setup had the sun setting to my left. And after a certain time of the day the sun was coming in from the side and it was annoying. The sidewall helped a bit but it too acted as a lighting diffuser and it didn’t let any air in from my left. I usually put the side on in a way that I could move the bottom of it lower and lower as the sun set.

But the people entered to field from my left and I was tired of not being able to see to my left. So a couple of years ago I bought a Sunscreen Fabric Shade Netting 70/80% Shade Cloth Sun Mesh Block. That was 10feet x 6.5feet and it blocked the sun enough that I would still see the screen on the mixer and I could see what was happening to my left and it let the air flow thru it. The only problem I had was on a windy day the netting would bow into the tent but I just used some tie line to minimize that. I was planning on sewing some line thru it but never got around to it. 

I guess I have to pick up some of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightspeed-Rick-25-Round-Tuit/dp/B0764KQHL6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=round+toit&qid=1623069235&sr=8-2

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »

The tent we use is mainly for sun shade but can give us a little bit of precipitation protection, remember we never say the R word.

In addition to the tarp rigged as a ceiling I used to use a thin white sidewall because where we did a summer concert series the setup had the sun setting to my left. And after a certain time of the day the sun was coming in from the side and it was annoying. The sidewall helped a bit but it too acted as a lighting diffuser and it didn’t let any air in from my left. I usually put the side on in a way that I could move the bottom of it lower and lower as the sun set.

But the people entered to field from my left and I was tired of not being able to see to my left. So a couple of years ago I bought a Sunscreen Fabric Shade Netting 70/80% Shade Cloth Sun Mesh Block. That was 10feet x 6.5feet and it blocked the sun enough that I would still see the screen on the mixer and I could see what was happening to my left and it let the air flow thru it. The only problem I had was on a windy day the netting would bow into the tent but I just used some tie line to minimize that. I was planning on sewing some line thru it but never got around to it. 

I guess I have to pick up some of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightspeed-Rick-25-Round-Tuit/dp/B0764KQHL6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=round+toit&qid=1623069235&sr=8-2

To add to this.

The Sunscreen worked so well for me that I suggested that they get one long enough to hang from the side of the Show Model because for the late afternoon shows we were having problems with the band getting overwhelmed by the heat of the Sun.

The only issue I had was I couldn’t get the Show Model people to say it how much wind it could handle before we had to drop the Sunshade. They said it could handle the weight it was the wind they didn’t know about. I was thinking we should be fine as long as it was a calm day and if we rigged it with the ability to drop it at a moment’s notice. We don’t have sudden wind shear events here. And if it is at all windy then the breeze should negate the need for the Sunshade. We have to drop the roof of the Show Mobile if the wind exceeds 30mph anyway.   

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 09:01:15 AM »

Recommendations?  Better than the $100 ones at dicks or Walmart.  Not the $900 online.

I have this.     https://www.eurmax.com/premium-pop-up-canopy.html

Company claims they will always have parts if needed. Mine's maybe 4 years old now and still looks new

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 09:44:48 AM »

ABC Canopy from Amazon is around $300 and included sidewalls and mesh walls.

Seconded. I got an 8x8, in black for the mixer screen issue.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Rick Earl

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 10:15:29 AM »

I just wish they made one with an aluminized roof to reflect some heat away and block more light on my console screen.

You can buy a roof for easy-up from these folks, although not waterproof.
I use their mess inside to reflect some heat, but also to keep flow through the tent.
I am thinking about buying another for a side wall for one event that always cooks us in August.

http://www.silvershademesh.com/Mya_template.html

Adam Cooke

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »

Undercover has been really great for me.

I bought their UC-3 10'x10' Popup-Shade w/CRS Polyester Wall Enclosure for $300 in 2012, and it has held up well.
It's very durable, yet reasonably lightweight. Has adjustable peak vents, adjustable roof tightness, great side wall design, and an excellent wheeled carry bag.
Lot's of people ask me what brand it is and where I got it.

Looks like it's on sale for $279 on their website now:
https://getundercover.com/product/undercover-x3-commercial-grade-instant-canopy-with-curtain-walls-wheel-bag/

Chris Doyle

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 03:52:14 PM »

ABC Canopy from Amazon is around $300 and included sidewalls and mesh walls. I've had ours for around 4-5 years; it gets used 8-10 times a year and is sill in great shape. The transport/storage bag wore out pretty quickly, but aside from that, the tent itself has been fantastic.

Ironically, the hardware on the ABC has held-up better than our KD stuff did (after massively downsizing operations in 2019, I sold our KD Canopies).
I'm so glad to read this.  My band just ordered a 10x20 from ABC Canopy based on the great reviews.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 07:07:40 PM »

This is the canopy I purchased for myself:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BSLQSVO/
+1
It's been great.

Though, we use sandbags from the Sanbag Store (https://www.sandbagstore.com/)

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.