ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who's the boss ?  (Read 2659 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Who's the boss ?
« on: June 03, 2021, 08:10:28 PM »

Posted far and wide across the web by now but its an interesting question. In my locale I've handled audio for plenty of people I disagreed with but felt they should have their say. This case is unique.

https://www.stripes.com/Veterans/2021-06-03/Veteran’s-microphone-cut-off-when-he-discusses-Blacks’-role-in-establishing-Memorial-Day-1628829.html

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Who's the boss ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 09:35:13 PM »

Posted far and wide across the web by now but its an interesting question. In my locale I've handled audio for plenty of people I disagreed with but felt they should have their say. This case is unique.

https://www.stripes.com/Veterans/2021-06-03/Veteran’s-microphone-cut-off-when-he-discusses-Blacks’-role-in-establishing-Memorial-Day-1628829.html

That is right in my back yard, I know who AJ is.  I would not have turned it down and I think the event organizer is in for a world of hurting.

On a fun note here is a pic from the sound guys web site of his "PA system for large crowds" it is interesting.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 09:38:51 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 09:51:29 PM »

That is right in my back yard, I know who AJ is.  I would not have turned it down and I think the event organizer is in for a world of hurting. {...}

These are the sorts of things that make me curious, if only academically, about the thought process that led those event organizers to make that particular decision. Did they really have no idea that there would be backlash?

I'm with you, Scott; I also wouldn't have let the client touch my gear. If the organizers want someone to stop talking they can have the individual removed from the lectern.

{...} On a fun note here is a pic from the sound guys web site of his "PA system for large crowds" it is interesting.

That photo is quite small; do you have any information on the rig?

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 09:55:47 PM »

These are the sorts of things that make me curious, if only academically, about the thought process that led those event organizers to make that particular decision. Did they really have no idea that there would be backlash?

I'm with you, Scott; I also wouldn't have let the client touch my gear. If the organizers want someone to stop talking they can have the individual removed from the lectern.

That photo is quite small; do you have any information on the rig?

-Russ

No sure don't
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 11:46:52 PM »

On a fun note here is a pic from the sound guys web site of his "PA system for large crowds" it is interesting.

I hear ya Scott!  When choosing pictures for my own website I give each one the PSW Sanity Check - if it would raise eyebrows here I certainly wouldn't share it much less use it for advertising. 

The only head-scratching photo on my site is the one of me - in the sense of "so that's what this guy looks like..." for those who haven't met me in person!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 06:44:35 AM »

Linked page no longer up.
From what I gather, someone made a bad decision!
I am of the mind that killing the mic is not the correct solution.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 08:06:38 AM »

Linked page no longer up.
From what I gather, someone made a bad decision!
I am of the mind that killing the mic is not the correct solution.
Keith, don't click on the link. Copy the whole line and paste it to your browser.

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 08:16:20 AM »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 12:21:02 PM »

I guess if they can't hear it, it must not be true. :-\
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 08:43:37 PM »

Keith, don't click on the link. Copy the whole line and paste it to your browser.

Chris.
Thanks Chris.
This link works without copy and paste.
https://www.stripes.com/Veterans/2021-06-03/Veteran%E2%80%99s-microphone-cut-off-when-he-discusses-Blacks%E2%80%99-role-in-establishing-Memorial-Day-1628829.html
I too would have stepped away and let the organizers take the heat.
I was once asked to mute a mic at an AGM where the rules allowed unlimited input from shareholders but one particular person went on and on. I suggested it would not be a good idea but my producer insisted so I cut it.
It did not go well  ::)
Will not do that again.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:48:48 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 11:56:20 PM »

I was once asked to mute a mic at an AGM where the rules allowed unlimited input from shareholders but one particular person went on and on. I suggested it would not be a good idea but my producer insisted so I cut it.
It did not go well  ::)
Will not do that again.

At one wedding, falling-down drunk friend of the groom grabbed his mic during the toasts. The laserbeam stare of Bridezilla and Bridezilla's Mom made it quite clear what needed to be done......
At a corporate gig, no way would I cut a mic.  That's what a stage manager is for.....
I did have one CEO grab my talkback, and blast one of the presenters.........
Chris.

John Fruits

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 01:33:42 AM »

I did have one CEO grab my talkback, and blast one of the presenters.........
Chris.
Shouldn't the CEO have their own demigod mic?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 07:44:21 AM »

Shouldn't the CEO have their own demigod mic?
He had 2. One on stage, and a wireless at his seat.
He came up to me to lay out some changes, heard something he didn't like, grabbed my talkback and said "make this work"
Interesting guy. i got a big tip that day.
Chris.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »

That is right in my back yard, I know who AJ is.  I would not have turned it down and I think the event organizer is in for a world of hurting.

And they were: https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-summit/hudson-american-legion-to-close-permanently-after-cutting-veterans-mic-during-memorial-day-speech
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 09:51:58 AM »

And they were: https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-summit/hudson-american-legion-to-close-permanently-after-cutting-veterans-mic-during-memorial-day-speech

Imagine getting a whole Legion shut down because you decided to inject your own politics into a community event, hope they are proud of themselves.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 10:27:53 AM »

Imagine getting a whole Legion shut down because you decided to inject your own politics into a community event, hope they are proud of themselves.

The fellow resigned, the lady has not (as of yesterday) yet.  The Legion chapter's charter is being revoked by the state-level organization.

All because someone didn't think that the origin story was important because it was about non-white people.  As a profession that delivers the "story telling" of others, this is outrageous.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »

The fellow resigned, the lady has not (as of yesterday) yet.  The Legion chapter's charter is being revoked by the state-level organization.

All because someone didn't think that the origin story was important because it was about non-white people.  As a profession that delivers the "story telling" of others, this is outrageous.

Garrison should resign from both the local post and the AL proper, with a meaningful apology.  I don't think the entire Post should be punished.  I'm not sure how Ladies' Aux is chartered but Suchan should also resign from both, local and national. 

They put AJ in a very difficult position requiring a real time decision.  In retrospect I feel he did the right thing.  One question is whether AJ knew the content of the portion to be muted.  And, I wonder who the actual client was? 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 08:06:11 PM »

This is a very valid question, and maybe should be something included in contracts that spells out who has the final say on if or when sound should be cut, for whatever reason.

The last thing I'd want is for it to be MY decision.

Unless otherwise directed, PA is rented and whatever you decide to say or perform is up to you.

Realistically, if someone is going off topic for an event, there are 3 options available:

1. Let it happen and do nothing
2. Simply cut the audio to the offending device
3. Have someone personally confront the speaker to get them to stop.

Without a clear plan in place on when and how to implement each scenario, decisions made on the spot could be very difficult to make.

As an audio provider, the only time I'd cut audio is if what they are doing has the direct potential to cause damage to the equipment. Never based on the content itself.

I have done work for events where there are mics in the audience and the producer is my direct contact that has the authority to tell me to cut audio.  In those cases, the point of contact with that authority is very specific.  Since I don't know the potential chain of command, it doesn't matter if the producer's boss wants me to cut audio.  If the producer says let it go, that's who I am to respond to.  Luckily, I've never had to test THAT potential problem...
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 08:06:11 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.