ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: "Best" Budget powered speakers  (Read 9928 times)

Steve Crump

Re: "Best" Budget powered speakers
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 04:27:28 PM »

RCF D LINE

I haven't had a listen, but what about?

Martin Blackline?

FBT X-Lite?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 04:31:01 PM »

Under $500 the EV ZLX12p is a solid choice, they have been bulletproof for me having suffered no failures despite the occasional blast of feedback, thumps from instruments getting unplugged, one was even tipped over and fell face down on a concrete floor from up on a  tripod stand by a drunk(wasted) bridemaid and sufferend nothing more than a slight ding in one corner. These have DSP presets for various things including as a floor monitor and overall don't sound terrible, look good, and are light and easy to handle.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 05:53:25 PM »

I found a nearly unused used QSC K10 for $500 - at Guitar Center, of all places. sounds great, got loud enough, and would get another one for that price vs. lugging my daughters Roland KC500 amp as a monitor for the drummer...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »

What is your purpose? Is this adding more inventory to your collection? If so, I'd say pick a model and make ALL of your inventory the same.  In the end, the savings of getting a cheaper box today doesn't really translate to much savings in the long run, and it's more of a hassle to deal with different speakers that behave differently.

When you compare true cost per event, assume you can use the speaker 100 times before replacing it, and you can sell it at 50% of what you paid for it at that point. (typically you can get more or use them much longer, but this is for the sake of argument)

A $500 speaker used 100 times and sold for 50% at the end of it's life would have a cost per show of $2.50.  The $1400 speaker would have a cost of $7 using the same formula. $4.50 different per show.  On a typical show, with 4 monitors and 2 mains, that means the cost difference per show is $27.  It's pretty easy to ask $27 more than the competition for a show when your speakers are 3X as good....
Brian Jojade

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 06:56:15 PM »

If you are using subs, at $900 each (MAP), the DSR112 is pretty tough to beat.

If you don't have subs and are going strictly SOS, it depends.

If you really want cheap ($500 ish or less), the ZLX, DBR and Alto TS312  are all in the same league; however, the Yamaha DBR comes with a solid 7 year warranty which would make it my choice in this category (since none of them are going to sound like your SRX's anyway).

If you are willing to move up a level, the DXR12mkii would be my recommendation (again, for the warranty).  They sound pretty good ... again, not as good as your SRX's, but CONSIDERABLY better than the really cheap speakers I mentioned above.

If you don't mind the extra size, the DXR15's are amazing in their ability to put out low frequency without a sub and are around the same price as the 12's.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 07:03:35 PM »

+1 on the DXR10, although it is slightly over your cutoff of $500 now with the MkII version. The DXR10 is my favorite of all the powered speakers I have used in that general price range. Sound, size/weight, handle placement, ease of use, dual pole cups, build quality, monitor angle all work for me in a small club environment for both SOS and monitors. I hope to get back to that soon...

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 07:39:08 PM »

What is your purpose? Is this adding more inventory to your collection? If so, I'd say pick a model and make ALL of your inventory the same.  In the end, the savings of getting a cheaper box today doesn't really translate to much savings in the long run, and it's more of a hassle to deal with different speakers that behave differently.

When you compare true cost per event, assume you can use the speaker 100 times before replacing it, and you can sell it at 50% of what you paid for it at that point. (typically you can get more or use them much longer, but this is for the sake of argument)

A $500 speaker used 100 times and sold for 50% at the end of it's life would have a cost per show of $2.50.  The $1400 speaker would have a cost of $7 using the same formula. $4.50 different per show.  On a typical show, with 4 monitors and 2 mains, that means the cost difference per show is $27.  It's pretty easy to ask $27 more than the competition for a show when your speakers are 3X as good....

rebuilding on a budget.

I don't need a SRX on wedges for bar band.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 07:40:19 PM »

If you don't have subs and are going strictly SOS, it depends.

If you really want cheap ($500 ish or less), the ZLX, DBR and Alto TS312  are all in the same league; however, the Yamaha DBR comes with a solid 7 year warranty which would make it my choice in this category (since none of them are going to sound like your SRX's anyway).

If you are willing to move up a level, the DXR12mkii would be my recommendation (again, for the warranty).  They sound pretty good ... again, not as good as your SRX's, but CONSIDERABLY better than the really cheap speakers I mentioned above.

If you don't mind the extra size, the DXR15's are amazing in their ability to put out low frequency without a sub and are around the same price as the 12's.

primarily on monitors.. mains for acoustic stuff.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 08:14:20 PM »

Agreed. I bought a pair used a few years ago and was literally stunned at how acurate they sound.
Still my main powered tops 4 years later

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 11:27:58 PM »

Agreed. I bought a pair used a few years ago and was literally stunned at how acurate they sound.
Still my main powered tops 4 years later

DSR is one of those rare birds that punches above it's price point.  We pushed all of our KW112's to monitor duty and have 4 pairs of DSR's in stock now.  Next speaker up in our rental inventory is a VRX932LA.  I just didn't see a need for another point and shoot box. 

For political rallies, pre-event space, protests anyplace somebody needs a speaker on a stick for cheap we have kitchen sink of options but unless you are a good customer you don't get to pick.  The ZLX's mentioned are under performing, not impressed at all with those, the ELX for a few coins more are the safe bet.  We have both.  We have Turbo sound Inspire and Milan's (the IQ's are just above your price point).  Bunch of old HK Actors that just keep going I am sure I am forgetting something.

For small monitors we have over a dozen Alto coax wedges, these work great, especially for talking heads.  You can get a similar Turbosound product for your price point.  Coax wedges work great. 

My favorite (but they are out of your range) monitors is the Yamaha DXR 10's.  They get as loud as QSC K12's and are much lighter, easier to pack (get 4 in a big trunk) and the 7 year warranty can't be beat.  I would stop look at the candy people online and call Mike Pyle, he is a member here and a dealer for many lines.  He will take great care of you.

Lastly, this rambling post is meant to show that in the $500 $25.00/ea rental it really doesn't matter, you could get a pile of Alto's and Behringers and make the same money.  How many are you looking to purchase?  I try and have 1 spare for each 8 in inventory.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 11:27:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.