ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: L21-30 on a small generator  (Read 3393 times)

jason misterka

Re: L21-30 on a small generator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 08:31:29 AM »

Thanks, folks.  Yeah, I searched online for four hours and gave up. I appreciate everyone's help.  I figured someone else had the same problem and had a go-to model they liked.

This one looks like it will work, but I want to check the starting horsepower for the exact model of CM we use.  I am also going to forward it to our electrician as well to see what he thinks.

Jason

I assume you meant to link the 208v model.

https://www.absolutegenerators.com/gillette-portable-3-phase-generator-gpe-125eh-3-2-10-kw-208-volt-dedicated-22-hp-honda

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 02:50:04 PM »

I assume you meant to link the 208v model.

https://www.absolutegenerators.com/gillette-portable-3-phase-generator-gpe-125eh-3-2-10-kw-208-volt-dedicated-22-hp-honda

I suppose it depends on the application, but 86 dbSPL at 23' seems like a lot to me.

-Russ

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 07:53:46 PM »

Thanks, folks.  Yeah, I searched online for four hours and gave up. I appreciate everyone's help.  I figured someone else had the same problem and had a go-to model they liked.

This one looks like it will work, but I want to check the starting horsepower for the exact model of CM we use.  I am also going to forward it to our electrician as well to see what he thinks.

Jason

I've a friend in the biz [Joe Foley for those who know him] who literally just bought this generator. I can't say for certain, but I suspect his use case was very similar to yours.

I'll reach out to him and see how his is treating him. I can connect you two if you'd like.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 10:54:22 PM »

I suppose it depends on the application, but 86 dbSPL at 23' seems like a lot to me.

-Russ

There are probably MQ tow-able units that are quieter, but for the stated purpose of running chain hoists, I'd submit the noise is mostly irrelevant.  For running a show?  That's another matter...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 02:44:29 AM »

There are probably MQ tow-able units that are quieter, but for the stated purpose of running chain hoists, I'd submit the noise is mostly irrelevant.  For running a show?  That's another matter...

{...} And a small generator has other advantages, as it can be used for little street events or if we lose power in a storm, etc. {...} (emphasis added)

I didn't figure the motors would care, either. :D

-Russ

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 06:22:33 AM »

-Russ
If he's only planning on running the Gennny during setup and strike for the hoists, what's the difference?
Although having it available opens plenty of opportunities for a bit of extra income.... Noise may matter here.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 10:13:32 AM »

-Russ

That noise spec does sound like it is rather loud. Maybe they offer a different muffler that makes it quieter.

I usually like to locate a generator far enough away that the noise is livable. And if possible put it somewhere that soaks up the noise. One event that we did regularly there was a wooden enclosure with walls about 8 feet high with no top where the Dumpster was kept to hide it from sight. There was enough room in there to put the generator. With the noise of the event we didn’t even notice the noise of the generator. I have wondered how hard it would be to build a portable enclosure with enough absorption material in it to hide, protect and quite a generator down, but without a lid so that it doesn’t smother the generator.

I was at a video shoot next to a reservoir (in the woods) that had one of those REALLY quite trailered generator (it was big) that was at least 200 feet away from the shoot. I got there after the Generator was already running and I was surprised at how quite it was. Until it was turned off and then I really noticed the difference when it wasn’t running. 

jason misterka

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 11:13:27 AM »

Yeah, primary use would be running motors for setup/strike.  But I was thinking about secondary uses as well and that does seem quite loud, though many of the little ones used to be.

If he's only planning on running the Gennny during setup and strike for the hoists, what's the difference?
Although having it available opens plenty of opportunities for a bit of extra income.... Noise may matter here.
Chris.

jason misterka

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 11:14:49 AM »

Thanks, Brian

I would be very curious to know how he likes it, and would love to connect if appropriate.  Send me a PM if so.

Jason

I've a friend in the biz [Joe Foley for those who know him] who literally just bought this generator. I can't say for certain, but I suspect his use case was very similar to yours.

I'll reach out to him and see how his is treating him. I can connect you two if you'd like.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 11:14:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.