ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody used a motion sensor to turn powered speakers on/off?  (Read 1782 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

I'm about to hang 2 K10's in a permanent install situation. This is a sunday school classroom, so used once a week but the teachers will come in and do planning, load the pro presenter, etc during the week.

The lights are on a motion sensor already. Has anyone used a similar system for powered speakers? This would be ideal in my case since the end users are not techs. They are volunteers. This would just turn the rig on when someone walks in and turn it off after, say 30 minutes or so. Would keep the hours down considerably, but would be completely transparent to the users.

What are your thoughts?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
Re: Anybody used a motion sensor to turn powered speakers on/off?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »

I guess "Occupancy Sensor" is the correct nomenclature. Looking to use this Leviton unit. It can switch 1000 watts and is rated for a 1/4hp motor so I think it should be fine for a pair of K10's.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/odc0s-i1w
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Lou Kohley

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 05:01:02 PM »

Don't the K10s have a standby mode? Where they turn on once they start getting audio.

LOU

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 05:23:16 PM »

Don't the K10s have a standby mode? Where they turn on once they start getting audio.

LOU

That's a very good question that I should probably find the answer for! lol.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 06:21:21 PM »

That's a very good question that I should probably find the answer for! lol.

They do have a terminal block for remote on off switch
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Lou Kohley

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 07:10:06 PM »

To save trouble and future forum searchers reference

K series Manual
https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/spk/k/q_spk_k_usermanual.pdf

Page 14 says:

Standby
All K Series models are equipped with an automatic standby feature to conserve energy when the systems are not in use. If no signal is present on any input of a K Series system or the gain knob is turned to off for five minutes, the power amplifier will go into standby and the green STANDBY LED will illuminate. No other LEDs will illuminate when the unit is in standby; this includes both the Rear Power LED and the Front Power LED. In this mode, the amplifier will be powered down. A small amount of voltage will continue to flow from the AC power source into the power supply of the K Series power module. This voltage will keep the power supply and DSP “awake” to reduce turn on time when the system is brought out of standby. The power up time of the amplifier is negligibly small and is shorter than the latency of the DSP, so no signal will be cut off when the K Series system is brought out of standby. A K Series loudspeaker can also be brought out of standby manually by turning the power switch off and then back on.

Hopefully this will work for your application.

LOU

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 07:10:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.