ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusrite 8i6 digital input not working  (Read 2144 times)

Mike Mossey

Focusrite 8i6 digital input not working
« on: May 19, 2021, 11:16:21 PM »

Hello mods, I couldn't find a forum that seemed directly on this topic, so please feel free to move this thread if necessary.

My issue is the digital input in a Focusrite 8i6 I just purchased. I'm using it with Windows and Audacity. I plugged an Apogee Mini-me into the digital input. But there is no option for the digital input in the Audacity input device selection. There's an analog input but not a digital one. I played around with the control software and don't see any way of selecting a digital input.

Perhaps I have the wrong driver? But I double-checked I'm downloading the 3rd gen 8i6 driver.

Mike

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Focusrite 8i6 digital input not working
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 12:54:42 AM »

You could not find a section for this because this is not Focusrite or any other vendor support site

I am sure a mod will move this to the lounge as this is not a touring audio question.

For some reason new users like yourself seem to think the purpose of these forums are to help fix problems, however first and foremost this is a community of live sound professionals, at all levels, who share their experience, skills and life with other members.  We talk about the challenges of running our companies, endlessly analyze the nuances between gear and tell a few jokes

It always surprises me, and I have never asked anyone before like this, when a new user drops in, no context or really any pretense of wanting to be part of the community and just drops a problem on the members.  There are tons of nice people, including occasionally me too, that will offer a bit of help and get someone on their way If I know the answer, which I don't to your question.  But back to my question, when you ask for help do you think that people in user groups exist to support products?  Clearly the choice to post here was one of expediency, the vendor support did not get your answer fast enough.  It seems to me that at least taking time to introduce yourself, explain what your application is and ask if anyone would consider helping would be a much better approach. 

In any case, welcome to our community.  I think you will find some of the most experienced, knowledgeable and helpful people you will ever encounter online.  It's an incredible resource but it is not a substitute for vendor support.

Hello mods, I couldn't find a forum that seemed directly on this topic, so please feel free to move this thread if necessary.

My issue is the digital input in a Focusrite 8i6 I just purchased. I'm using it with Windows and Audacity. I plugged an Apogee Mini-me into the digital input. But there is no option for the digital input in the Audacity input device selection. There's an analog input but not a digital one. I played around with the control software and don't see any way of selecting a digital input.

Perhaps I have the wrong driver? But I double-checked I'm downloading the 3rd gen 8i6 driver.

Mike
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 01:41:24 AM »

I suspect it might be because Audacity doesn't include support for ASIO drivers, which may be necessary to access more than the first two channels of the device. I recommend you try something like Reaper. Audacity is just an editor while Reaper is a proper DAW.

Mike Mossey

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 01:43:06 AM »

You could not find a section for this because this is not Focusrite or any other vendor support site

I am sure a mod will move this to the lounge as this is not a touring audio question.

In any case, welcome to our community.  I think you will find some of the most experienced, knowledgeable and helpful people you will ever encounter online.  It's an incredible resource but it is not a substitute for vendor support.

Thanks for the explanation. You will help me find the correct forum.. that is, not on ProSoundWeb but a Focusrite oriented forum or vendor support. Apologies for dropping by.

To introduce myself, I'm a composer and my goal is to record performances of my compositions. I also have a background in electrical engineering and I've practiced critical listening of high-end home audio systems for many years. I inherited an Apogee Mini-me from a friend and want to try using it for recording, but as I'm sure you know, it doesn't have a USB connection, but rather a S/PDIF output. I'll try the Focusrite support next.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 06:02:55 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. You will help me find the correct forum.. that is, not on ProSoundWeb but a Focusrite oriented forum or vendor support. Apologies for dropping by.

To introduce myself, I'm a composer and my goal is to record performances of my compositions. I also have a background in electrical engineering and I've practiced critical listening of high-end home audio systems for many years. I inherited an Apogee Mini-me from a friend and want to try using it for recording, but as I'm sure you know, it doesn't have a USB connection, but rather a S/PDIF output. I'll try the Focusrite support next.

Hi Mike, I see the Welcome Wagon has found you...

You might find better *recording* support at the PSW "R/E/P" forum.  Note that a separate user registration is required for it...  The primary Live Audio Board "LAB" is reinforcement of live event audio - concerts, theatre, corporate events/presentations, fairs & festivals, etc.  Recording is kind of a minor player here.

https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php

Good luck!

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 06:24:46 PM »

Hi, nice to meet you, welcome wagon, that's funny.  I don't know anything about that Apogee either.  I use a Focusrite on my streaming system to get audio into OBS, I would not know what do to if I was in a studio, as was mentioned we are mostly live folks though Justice runs a mobile recording facility so he is very knowledgeable on the workflows, not sure on the equipment side though he uses a Yamaha mixer IIRC as his DAW and mixdown board in the mobile studio. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 08:17:09 PM »

Hi Mike, I see the Welcome Wagon has found you...

You might find better *recording* support at the PSW "R/E/P" forum.  Note that a separate user registration is required for it...  The primary Live Audio Board "LAB" is reinforcement of live event audio - concerts, theatre, corporate events/presentations, fairs & festivals, etc.  Recording is kind of a minor player here.

https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php

Good luck!

Tim Mc

Scott "Welcome Wagon" Holtzman - has a nice ring to it!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 08:17:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.