ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Microdot to 1/8" adapters  (Read 2264 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Microdot to 1/8" adapters
« on: May 18, 2021, 06:39:09 PM »

Is there any reason that the Microdot to 1/8" adapter from Tentacle Sync Systems would have a different output level than the same one from DPA?

I have a DPA 4099S for my saxophone, connected to my Rode Wireless Go II for my camera. Even at the lowest gain level (-30db) and with the pad engaged on the transmitter, I'm still blowing out the input and hard clipping the signal. I'm not even playing that loud. I have the Tentacle Sync version because it was $70 less expensive than the DPA one.

But, there's no active electronics or pads built into those adapters are there? Just a straight through wiring? Or are there?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Microdot to 1/8" adapters
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »

Is there any reason that the Microdot to 1/8" adapter from Tentacle Sync Systems would have a different output level than the same one from DPA?

I have a DPA 4099S for my saxophone, connected to my Rode Wireless Go II for my camera. Even at the lowest gain level (-30db) and with the pad engaged on the transmitter, I'm still blowing out the input and hard clipping the signal. I'm not even playing that loud. I have the Tentacle Sync version because it was $70 less expensive than the DPA one.

But, there's no active electronics or pads built into those adapters are there? Just a straight through wiring? Or are there?

Depends on the adapter.
DPA have resistors in some and different pinout/wiring in all models. They are custom designed to the listed WL system.

My experience is that buying the correct adapter from DPA for your wireless is the easiest and safest solution.

Edit: If you look at DPAs homepage you'll find three different 1/8" to microdot adapters. They are not interchangeable.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:39:45 PM by Helge A Bentsen »

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 07:56:03 PM »

Without knowing either the TRACK E Timecode Audio Recorder's or the Wireless Go II's input wiring (and neither Tentacle Sync Systems nor Rode seem to publish that information) it's difficult to say for sure what you have or what you need. A multimetre might tell you how your current adapter is wired (the most common addition to these adapters is tying things to ground through a resistor). DPA does publish wiring diagrams for their 1/8" adapters (some of which have resistors built in, others not) if you can figure out which one you need.

That said, if my math is right, even wired correctly you'd only need about 118 dB SPL at the microphone for the 4099 to produce -20 dBV, which is the stated maximum input for the Wireless Go II. Padding the signal down passively might be a challenge because the you're already under-powering the microphone slightly with only 4V plug-in power.

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 10:42:07 PM »

Can I make a purple microdot joke?  I guess I already did.  I had never heard of that connector.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 02:53:29 PM »

Can I make a purple microdot joke?  I guess I already did.  I had never heard of that connector.
You've never used DPA lavalier or instrument mics?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 04:56:35 PM »

Sure, didn't know that's what they are called!

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 05:37:33 PM »

In fairness, DPA does offer their lavs with other connectors, although I think the 4099 is Microdot only.

{...} I have a DPA 4099S for my saxophone {...}

Something just dawned one me: is this the 4099 Loud SPL (with the red marking) or the 4099 Extreme SPL (with the yellow marking)? The Extreme SPL version is 10 dB less sensitive, which might help your problem?

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 06:19:25 PM »

In fairness, DPA does offer their lavs with other connectors, although I think the 4099 is Microdot only.

Something just dawned one me: is this the 4099 Loud SPL (with the red marking) or the 4099 Extreme SPL (with the yellow marking)? The Extreme SPL version is 10 dB less sensitive, which might help your problem?

-Russ

I don't actually have any instrument or LAV, just the headworn models

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 09:48:45 PM »

Mine is the loud version, with the red band. Don't think I'm going to go out and buy another $600 mic for this one transmitter.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 08:48:18 AM »

Mine is the loud version, with the red band. Don't think I'm going to go out and buy another $600 mic for this one transmitter.
Although it might be the "Right Tool For The Job".........
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 08:48:18 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.