ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mics for small choir for live stream audio feed  (Read 2907 times)

Eileen Krause

Mics for small choir for live stream audio feed
« on: May 18, 2021, 03:42:18 PM »

Hi friends,
looking for suggestions for mics to use on our small choir 6 people..  We don't need choir in the house feed because the choir area is quite acoustically friendly in terms of volume..
 but I need to feed live stream starting this August.  I was hoping to audition some different mics and am calling in favors from tech friends- but would appreciate feedback from you all.  As always I love the real world knowledge. 

Oh and eventually I'm going to ask you opinions on getting Organ audio for the live stream.  But as we are in the midst of video camera installation etc. and I'm running some new electric, I'm trying to keep things one at a time..  Especially on top of wrangling volunteer "committee" help.
thanks in advance.
Eileen

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Mics for small choir for live stream audio feed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 10:41:25 PM »

looking for suggestions for mics to use on our small choir 6 people..

Budget? Placement options?

Earthworks makes some nice, inconspicuous stuff if you'll be suspending from the ceiling.

Another approach; there are a lot of decent LDC's in the $300-400 range these days.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 10:42:01 PM »

The good news is with your set up needs there will be no issue with gain before feedback.

An Audio Technica Pro 37 or two would work well if the look of mics on stands in front of the choir are OK.

For something more discreet there are lots of small hanging choir mic options.

For a mics that would have a "look" on camera look up Ear Trumpet Labs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 06:56:27 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 01:40:52 AM »

First of all, do you have any unused mics laying around right now? If it’s just for the livestream almost anything will do.

Secondly we need an idea of what you can spend if you really need to buy mics.

My secret for stuff like this is the Audio-Technica Pro35. It’s an older mic you can find on ebay for under 50 bucks. It is a legit choir mic, but I use them for all sorts of things.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 09:52:31 AM »

Hi friends,
looking for suggestions for mics to use on our small choir 6 people..  We don't need choir in the house feed because the choir area is quite acoustically friendly in terms of volume..
 but I need to feed live stream starting this August.

Oh and eventually I'm going to ask you opinions on getting Organ audio for the live stream. 
I think most any decent SDC (small diaphragm condensor) mics should be fine for the choir.  With only 6 voices and for a live stream, you may be able to get away with just one mic.   You definitely want to have the organ in the livestream mix, otherwise it won't sound right.  You may not need an separate mic for it though.  Since the choir can be heard without reinforcement, I assume they're already well balanced with the organ.  Something like a stereo pair just in front of the congregation might work to pick up both the choir & organ well enough to give the livestream a similar sound to the live experience. 

The biggest difference maker in your situation will not be what mics you're using, but rather where you place them. 

Eileen Krause

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »

Hi,
Thank you for replies.  I was finally able to check old storage from my old studio days and I have one AKG1000 and one SM81.  (Also a broken 81)
Well besides, 58’s and 57’s and sennheiser 414... (oops I mean 441)

Budget is 600 ish.   Mike Caldwell thanks.. I was actually looking at the Pro37s.
Mic stands can be used.  No need to hang or hide.

Trying to balance the needs for “good” audio stream for a small online group vs. budgeting time and money for our in person community as we all start the re-entry phase post-COVID. 
It’s also an interesting time for our church as we hiring a new pastor after 27 years of prior leader. But that’s a whole other discussion forum.  Much gratitude and thanks to all.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:20:20 PM by Eileen Krause »

Eileen Krause

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »

I think most any decent SDC (small diaphragm condensor) mics should be fine for the choir.  With only 6 voices and for a live stream, you may be able to get away with just one mic.   You definitely want to have the organ in the livestream mix, otherwise it won't sound right.  You may not need an separate mic for it though.  Since the choir can be heard without reinforcement, I assume they're already well balanced with the organ.  Something like a stereo pair just in front of the congregation might work to pick up both the choir & organ well enough to give the livestream a similar sound to the live experience. 

The biggest difference maker in your situation will not be what mics you're using, but rather where you place them.

Taylor,
Yes yes.. thank you for this.. absolutely agree on placement.  Luckily been able to get a second pair of ears (not on my head ) now to help me next week.. a local guy who does live sound for festivals here.. and since work is slower he has time to help me move around mics and check secondary mixes etc. 
Will see how the organ comes in to play.  just found out I can borrow ATpro37s.. So hoping to make it all work next week with Organ player on site and choir will be practicing.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 02:34:26 PM by Eileen Krause »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 02:35:03 PM »

If those mics are yours, and you don't mind using the 414 that would be all you ever need. It will pick up the whole choir easily adn sound good doing it.

Otherwise a single SM81 would work. Or maybe get the church to fix the second 81 and use the pair. Consider that the rental for using your mics. Or a 57 or two could work as well. Since this is for online you can gain it up and eq it as needed without worrying about feedback.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 07:21:23 PM »

Hi Eileen, my vote is for either the SM57 or Pro37.  I own quite a few of both.  I find myself using the 57 more than the 37 due mainly to the fact I often do work outdoors using loudspeakers and I've had better gain before feedback with the 57s, but both are good choices.  I'd even argue that if you can't get a reasonable result with either of those options then something else needs to change and a top-shelf mic won't likely fix your problems either.  Beyond that price point the gained performance improvement starts to diminish quickly (particularly outside of a studio environment) so I wouldn't overthink this.  Good luck!

Eileen Krause

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 08:28:18 PM »

Tim and Jeff! Thank you both for this practical advice...  you’re right I’ve been overthinking it all,  I have enough mics on hand to easily make something work.  I think part of my swirling head syndrome is because I haven’t been at church basically for a year and now it’s hurry up and welcome back more in person plus add  live stream too..   ( we were doing recorded service and showing Sunday on FB.   You’ve given me a confidence boost. Thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 08:28:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.