ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS Big Sur??  (Read 2065 times)

Al Rettich

Mac OS Big Sur??
« on: May 18, 2021, 10:03:18 AM »

has all of our gear been updated and working for big sur?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Mac OS Big Sur??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 10:09:30 AM »

Well that would depend on what gear you're using. I know that Audinate just released a Big Sur ready version of DVS that is NOT ready for the new Apple hardware, only Big Sur on Intel.  My usual caveat is that OS moves on Apple devices should be driven by some 'must have' change in your computer use, not just because it's the new and shiny. Apple is in the business of making media consumption devices for the general public, not professional audio production and control devices.

has all of our gear been updated and working for big sur?

Al Rettich

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 12:41:14 PM »

was just thinking in general.
Well that would depend on what gear you're using. I know that Audinate just released a Big Sur ready version of DVS that is NOT ready for the new Apple hardware, only Big Sur on Intel.  My usual caveat is that OS moves on Apple devices should be driven by some 'must have' change in your computer use, not just because it's the new and shiny. Apple is in the business of making media consumption devices for the general public, not professional audio production and control devices.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »

was just thinking in general.
You should stop that, then.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 03:17:25 PM »

I know that Audinate just released a Big Sur ready version of DVS that is NOT ready for the new Apple hardware, only Big Sur on Intel. 

This is a point that I think needs more attention.  Big Sur is one thing, but as Macs transitions from Intel to Apple Silicon we will definitely see some teething issues - both with hardware and with software.  Especially given how niche many of our professional solutions are I'm not expecting a fix overnight either. 

I'm planning to get at least one more iMac in the next few months while the Intel flavor is still available...  That way my iMac/MacbookPro inventory stays consistent and I can avoid the whole mess for at least another few years while Apple Silicon matures.  I'd suggest anyone who runs an Apple ecosystem and forecasts needing new hardware in the next year or so to do the same.   

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 05:22:42 PM »

I'm planning to get at least one more iMac in the next few months while the Intel flavor is still available..

Been an Apple user since 1984. When my iMac dies, I'm replacing it with a PC.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 08:19:53 PM »

I can’t fault you for that.  For the longest time I was strictly Windows.  Between the bugs and nuisances with Windows 10 and my adopting Allen & Heath equipment that’s only compatible with iOS (first QU and now dLive) I moved my whole ecosystem to Apple.  I’ve been generally happy with the change but I’m in no way saying Apple is perfect.  Tastes change, and maybe someday I’ll be back on Windows!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 03:40:26 PM »

The good thing about Apple is that they continue to improve their operating system from security standpoints that make them harder and harder for hackers to target.  The bad thing is that every change typically means developers need to keep up and change their systems to work with what Apple releases.

The problem is that the life cycle of an Mac operating system is only 3 years maximum before they stop supporting it completely.  With iOS, it's only one year, and devices can't be downgraded once upgraded (easily), so apps that once worked could break with any update.

While Apple does roadmap their plans for developers so they know the steps that need to be taken for their software, the problem is, once a product is developed, many manufacturers move on to new products vs maintaining software updates for the old, since maintaining old products isn't generating new revenue.

What this means is that the life cycle for products that rely on Apple devices continues to become shorter and shorter, which really sucks.

The same thing does happen in the PC world, but at least there you usually have options to run older (potentially less secure) software.  Apple likes to pretend the old stuff never existed in the first place.  With Macs becoming more and more iOS like, you can be sure that they will start to follow that same trend.

I've been a mac guy for decades, but more and more, I've been moving to alternatives for stuff that I want to have stick around for longer.
Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 08:08:32 PM »

{...} I've been a mac guy for decades, but more and more, I've been moving to alternatives for stuff that I want to have stick around for longer.

In my world the single largest requirement for MacOS is QLab. Given what you've described (which I agree with) I wonder how much longer it'll be before Figure 53 bites the bullet and finds a different platform for their software (if only CoreAudio wasn't so darned good...).

-Russ

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »

You might be waiting for a long time.
Scott Hofmann

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.