Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Mac OS Big Sur??

(1/3) > >>

Al Rettich:
has all of our gear been updated and working for big sur?

Riley Casey:
Well that would depend on what gear you're using. I know that Audinate just released a Big Sur ready version of DVS that is NOT ready for the new Apple hardware, only Big Sur on Intel.  My usual caveat is that OS moves on Apple devices should be driven by some 'must have' change in your computer use, not just because it's the new and shiny. Apple is in the business of making media consumption devices for the general public, not professional audio production and control devices.

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on May 18, 2021, 10:03:18 am ---has all of our gear been updated and working for big sur?

--- End quote ---

Al Rettich:
was just thinking in general.
--- Quote from: Riley Casey on May 18, 2021, 10:09:30 am ---Well that would depend on what gear you're using. I know that Audinate just released a Big Sur ready version of DVS that is NOT ready for the new Apple hardware, only Big Sur on Intel.  My usual caveat is that OS moves on Apple devices should be driven by some 'must have' change in your computer use, not just because it's the new and shiny. Apple is in the business of making media consumption devices for the general public, not professional audio production and control devices.

--- End quote ---

Andrew Broughton:

--- Quote from: Al Rettich on May 18, 2021, 12:41:14 pm ---was just thinking in general.

--- End quote ---
You should stop that, then.

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on May 18, 2021, 10:09:30 am ---I know that Audinate just released a Big Sur ready version of DVS that is NOT ready for the new Apple hardware, only Big Sur on Intel. 

--- End quote ---

This is a point that I think needs more attention.  Big Sur is one thing, but as Macs transitions from Intel to Apple Silicon we will definitely see some teething issues - both with hardware and with software.  Especially given how niche many of our professional solutions are I'm not expecting a fix overnight either. 

I'm planning to get at least one more iMac in the next few months while the Intel flavor is still available...  That way my iMac/MacbookPro inventory stays consistent and I can avoid the whole mess for at least another few years while Apple Silicon matures.  I'd suggest anyone who runs an Apple ecosystem and forecasts needing new hardware in the next year or so to do the same.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version