ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Predator Inverter Generator - 9500W  (Read 10512 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Follow-up
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 12:25:01 PM »

Although my Predator seems to work I always have a back-up in my truck (doesn't everyone?).

Which begs the question-on a limited budget, would you rather have one Honda, or two Predators so you have a backup?
Steve Swaffer

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 01:58:48 PM »

Which begs the question-on a limited budget, would you rather have one Honda, or two Predators so you have a backup?

That's exactly what I'm pondering right now, with the Honda's.  Two smaller that will run in tandem, or one larger rig?  Then do I keep the conventional 9000W for a spare/backup or unload it?

One thing I see, of doing it over I would have picked up one of the 3000W rigs that run in tandem -vs- the single EB2800i - however, the cost is basically double.

One Honda or two Predators?  That's an interesting question.  While I have experience with the Powerhorse house brand from Northern Tool, I don't know about the Predators, which is why I started the thread.  The Powerhorse generators run clone engines, but they start easy and run well.  If there's any noticeable differences with the Honda's - I have 3 Honda engines in various equipment - it's the noise and clatter from the 420cc Powerhorse clone -vs- the Honda GX390 in one of the pressure washers.

That's why I'm looking at another inverter generator - they are quieter and for smaller setups noise is more of a factor.

I've walked around the 9000W Powerhorse generator with an Extech DB meter and on the engine side facing the blower housing there's more engine clatter noise from it.  The inverters with side covers that are essentially fully enclosed are quieter.

Lots to think about.  Connectivity at the jobsite of a single larger generator with a L14-30 is simplified -vs- synching two smaller rigs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 03:40:09 PM »

That's exactly what I'm pondering right now, with the Honda's.  Two smaller that will run in tandem, or one larger rig?  Then do I keep the conventional 9000W for a spare/backup or unload it?

One thing I see, of doing it over I would have picked up one of the 3000W rigs that run in tandem -vs- the single EB2800i - however, the cost is basically double.

One Honda or two Predators?  That's an interesting question.  While I have experience with the Powerhorse house brand from Northern Tool, I don't know about the Predators, which is why I started the thread.  The Powerhorse generators run clone engines, but they start easy and run well.  If there's any noticeable differences with the Honda's - I have 3 Honda engines in various equipment - it's the noise and clatter from the 420cc Powerhorse clone -vs- the Honda GX390 in one of the pressure washers.

That's why I'm looking at another inverter generator - they are quieter and for smaller setups noise is more of a factor.

I've walked around the 9000W Powerhorse generator with an Extech DB meter and on the engine side facing the blower housing there's more engine clatter noise from it.  The inverters with side covers that are essentially fully enclosed are quieter.

Lots to think about.  Connectivity at the jobsite of a single larger generator with a L14-30 is simplified -vs- synching two smaller rigs.

It is so cheap and I get extra warranty on my Citibank card, at that price I am going to take a shot because that is perfect size for my house.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »

It is so cheap and I get extra warranty on my Citibank card, at that price I am going to take a shot because that is perfect size for my house.

The Predator?  Yeah, you can buy three Predators or one Honda.

Tell ya one thing, looking at the Honda and the Powerhorse, there are only slight differences externally - very slight - they cloned the Honda very well - frame is identical.  Side panels and such - leaves me wondering about the internals.

Not bashing Honda by any means, I have 3 of their engines on different pieces of equipment and they run well.  But, their prices are up in the stratosphere.  Honda engineering did it's job, so did their marketing department.

Do let us know how that thing runs Scott.  The blue Northern Tool Powerhorse engines run great.  Two generators with them and a pressure washer with a 414cc in it and they start easy, run smooth, good throttle response, decent fuel economy comparable to Honda.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 06:26:42 PM »

The Predator?  Yeah, you can buy three Predators or one Honda.

Tell ya one thing, looking at the Honda and the Powerhorse, there are only slight differences externally - very slight - they cloned the Honda very well - frame is identical.  Side panels and such - leaves me wondering about the internals.

Not bashing Honda by any means, I have 3 of their engines on different pieces of equipment and they run well.  But, their prices are up in the stratosphere.  Honda engineering did it's job, so did their marketing department.

Do let us know how that thing runs Scott.  The blue Northern Tool Powerhorse engines run great.  Two generators with them and a pressure washer with a 414cc in it and they start easy, run smooth, good throttle response, decent fuel economy comparable to Honda.

The Powerhorse is your convention 28kva correct?   I have a Honda inverter, it's one of the older ones that is blue and grey.  It runs great.  That is the production companies though, if this runs well at the house I might try it on a few gigs with a backup. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »

The Powerhorse is your convention 27kva correct?   I have a Honda inverter, it's one of the older ones that is blue and grey.  It runs great.  That is the production companies though, if this runs well at the house I might try it on a few gigs with a backup.

I misrepresented it as 28K - it's 27K.

Yes, the 27KW is a Powerhorse and it's a beast.  Nice machine.  Glad I had it during the winter during the ice clusterphuk - I ran on generator for 3 days - which prompted me to finish up the 14 gallon Fuel Caddy.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200756275_200756275

That's a nice machine for the money - it's 30HP, almost 1000cc and rumbles.  But, not that much louder than the 13000W rig.  Frame and all is solid, no excessive vibration.  LCD readout is real cool - starts right up and rips.  Pressurized oil system with filter, I believe it's fuel injected.  It handles my 2000' house real well - complete house & AC, shop AC, any equipment I want to run, lathe, mill, air compressors, welder, etc.

Wired to the whole house electrical system - instead of limited circuits - so it's just like being on the grid, all the lights work, security cameras, yard lights, etc.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 07:16:20 PM by Steve-White »

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 03:11:13 AM »

I misrepresented it as 28K - it's 27K.

Yes, the 27KW is a Powerhorse and it's a beast.  Nice machine.  Glad I had it during the winter during the ice clusterphuk - I ran on generator for 3 days - which prompted me to finish up the 14 gallon Fuel Caddy.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200756275_200756275

That's a nice machine for the money - it's 30HP, almost 1000cc and rumbles.  But, not that much louder than the 13000W rig.  Frame and all is solid, no excessive vibration.  LCD readout is real cool - starts right up and rips.  Pressurized oil system with filter, I believe it's fuel injected.  It handles my 2000' house real well - complete house & AC, shop AC, any equipment I want to run, lathe, mill, air compressors, welder, etc.

Wired to the whole house electrical system - instead of limited circuits - so it's just like being on the grid, all the lights work, security cameras, yard lights, etc.

That is a nice unit.  Just checked out the site.  The price is not as bad as I thought it would be.  Now you have my gears turning and it's bed time.  Oh well...thanks Steve

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Re: Harbor Freight Predator Inverter Generator - 9500W
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »

"Gears turning at bed time"?  You are most welcome sir., always glad to help a brother out  Yeah the price is pretty good and it's a decent rig.  This type of gear fully qualifies as both GAS & TAS - Gear or Tool Acquisition Syndrome compatible.

One of the factors I looked at when selecting that model was the overall weight - it's a big boy - they had a floor model at a nearby Northern Tool store.

Do you think it's excessive that one would take his German Shepherd to the tool store shopping since he was a puppy and the staff all knew him - so when we walked in they automatically picked up a bag of beef jerky and hid it down random aisle's among the merchandise for him to search and locate, then consume?

Casey was really good at it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:32:22 PM by Steve-White »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »

"Gears turning at bed time?  You are most welcome sir., always glad to help a brother out  Yeah the price is pretty good and it's a decent rig.  This type of gear fully qualifies as both GAS & TAS - Gear or Tool Acquisition Syndrome compatible.

One of the factors I looked at when selecting that model was the overall weight - it's a big boy - they had a floor model at a nearby Northern Tool store.

Do you think it's excessive that one would take his German Shepherd to the tool store shopping since he was a puppy and the staff all knew him - so when we walked in they automatically picked up a bag of beef jerky and hid it down random aisle's among the merchandise for him to search and locate, then consume?

Were they treating Casey, or was that marketing in action, since getting you to walk down every aisle is a good way to drum up more sales?
Steve Swaffer

John L Nobile

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 01:03:16 PM »

German Shepherd puppies are good for the soul. We're on our second.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 01:03:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 22 queries.