ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Predator Inverter Generator - 9500W  (Read 10813 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Harbor Freight Predator Inverter Generator - 9500W
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 01:09:15 PM »

15 pulls, you have to be kidding.  I would have had the ether out at pull number 3.  Just a squirt will do ya!  Some people claim that is hard on the engine as it dries out the oil in the cylinder, I can't imagine assuming it's at a reasonable temp that it doesn't scavenge oil during the pull.

I've got a conventional Generac 6500 with a 10 horse Briggs. Pull-starting that thing makes Crossfit look like a hard day at the Golden Corral. I find that if I drop the carburetor bowl and get gas all over my hands, then put it all back together it starts somewhat easier.

Someday, I'd love to get a Honda genny. This Generac is pretty much only used for power outages to keep the fridge and freezers cold and run the water pump. Occasionally for power tool use. I wouldn't even consider using it for computers and audio equipment. My fridge is *just* old enough that it isn't run by microprocessors.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 01:12:25 PM »

Were they treating Casey, or was that marketing in action, since getting you to walk down every aisle is a good way to drum up more sales?

A little of both!  Casey was a real charmer though, so I weaponized it.  Pictured below at a nearby cigar lounge.

The back story of the picture:  Lady in pic came in with boyfriend that was sitting to her left in the other stuffed chair.  I walked in with Casey and headed to the bar in the back and one of the other customers pulled a couple of hot dogs out of the crock pot on the bar, cooled them down and gave 'em to Casey.  Then, I let somebody hold his leash and went into walk in humidor and picked out a cigar.  Went in and sat on the couch adjacent to the lady in the chair.  Casey was sitting in front of her and I, me holding his leash.

He had one thing and one thing only on his mind - more hot dogs.  She was sitting in the chair drinking a long neck beer and petting Casey.  He tried an around the left move around her chair to get more hot dogs and ran out of leash.  A minute or so later he went around the right with the same results, so he u turned and came back and sat in front of us.  Then, she finished up her beer and went to the back to get a refill.  Casey saw the opportunity with the chair empty and climbed in for an up the middle move to the hot dogs.  He got all the way to his front legs going over the back and once again ran out of leash.  Frustrated, he then thought WTF, this seat is nice, I'll just lay down here.  About then, the lady returned with her fresh beer and just sat down with him.

Notice the picture, Casey was aloof but safe around people - he tolerated them, but is paying absolutely no attention to her.  She had not idea what was really going on with him, he was just a nice big Teddy Bear dog to pet and dote over.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2021, 01:20:15 PM »

German Shepherd puppies are good for the soul. We're on our second.

Yes - Casey was #7, which is a reflection of my age.  Wolfe was #1 in 1969.  I've had such wonderful German Shepherd Dogs over my lifetime, that to give something back I got involved in a little dog rescue work a little over 20 years ago and keep a couple of pound rescue or strays in the pack now.

Casey set the bar pretty high and he and I were pretty close, the lord called him home in 2017 and I've been pondering a puppy for about 2 years now.  It'll happen soon, meanwhile I have a couple of dogs.

Casey was a sweetheart of a dog and friend to all - except intruders when dad was away - he was fearsome and I mean lethal.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:24:56 PM by Steve-White »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2021, 01:31:27 PM »

I've got a conventional Generac 6500 with a 10 horse Briggs. Pull-starting that thing makes Crossfit look like a hard day at the Golden Corral. I find that if I drop the carburetor bowl and get gas all over my hands, then put it all back together it starts somewhat easier.

Someday, I'd love to get a Honda genny. This Generac is pretty much only used for power outages to keep the fridge and freezers cold and run the water pump. Occasionally for power tool use. I wouldn't even consider using it for computers and audio equipment. My fridge is *just* old enough that it isn't run by microprocessors.

Yes, I think the gas on the hands helps with the applied force on the starting pull handle, thus increasing scavenging on the engine which help facilitate the startup procedure.

Yeah, not bashing as the GP7500 I had was under $1000, but it caused the APC UPS's on electronics to go berserk - I had to shut them down when on backup.  Part of it was 7500W is barely enough to run the house the way I set it up with a whole house backfeed.  It would however run the refrigerator just fine which was the most important.

I bought it after a 3 day electricity outage back around 2012 that caused refrigerator to be completely emptied - that sux.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2021, 04:49:05 PM »

"Gears turning at bed time"?  You are most welcome sir., always glad to help a brother out  Yeah the price is pretty good and it's a decent rig.  This type of gear fully qualifies as both GAS & TAS - Gear or Tool Acquisition Syndrome compatible.

One of the factors I looked at when selecting that model was the overall weight - it's a big boy - they had a floor model at a nearby Northern Tool store.

Do you think it's excessive that one would take his German Shepherd to the tool store shopping since he was a puppy and the staff all knew him - so when we walked in they automatically picked up a bag of beef jerky and hid it down random aisle's among the merchandise for him to search and locate, then consume?

Casey was really good at it.

Gears turning at bedtime means I was engaged in deep thought on this when I should be winding down.

Casey is your Sheppards name?  Nice looking dog, looks like he is good with new people!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2021, 05:55:15 PM »

Gears turning at bedtime means I was engaged in deep thought on this when I should be winding down.

Casey is your Sheppards name?  Nice looking dog, looks like he is good with new people!

Yes I know, the OCD GAS/TAS genes were raging.  Just thought I'd chide you a little in fun!  :)

Yes Casey was his name - had him home a week, brought him home at 10 wks of age - he was a little monster.  I named him after the Steven Seagal movie character Casey Ryback - Navy Seal, one man army, killing machine - he lived up to his name.  But, yeah for a home defense personal protection dog it's crucial they be very sound mentally and also be very well socialized so as not to be a menace or threat to the innocent, especially children.

One afternoon when he was about 6 months year old, he stayed outside while I was at work - I got home and the back yard looked like the road north from Basra, Kuwait at the end of Desert Storm.  Had a chain link fence across the back of my yard and my neighbor Roy was out in his back yard also surveying the carnage - Nandina's ripped out and chewed up, box of foam 2'x4' insulation chewed up, head pad ripped from mechanics creeper.

I said to him "Roy you know most people would come home and see the mess and be unhappy, I would have been 20 years ago", to which he replied "Yeah they would".  "But not me, I don't care, in fact I expect it" "You know why?", Roy said "No, why?" to which I replied "He'll outgrow this, and when he does, if some stupid SOB comes over that back fence while I'm at work, this is what their ass is going to look like" - to which Roy said "I believe you're right".

I was right.  :)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2021, 03:13:36 PM »

These days the "in kids" have California condors wrecking the patio and back yard.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2023, 04:22:29 PM »

Going to post this to share knowledge and experience.

The Predator 9500 Inverter Generator I have doesn't perform up to specification.  In continuous rated output power, it says 7600W, it will actually carry a ~6600W load before the "Overload" light comes on and ~20 seconds later it shuts the inverter off.

I'll give you guys my thoughts which are simply that - my thoughts.  I dual-purpose use portable generators, as backup power for my house and outdoor events when needed.

Started with generators as house backup power a little over 10 years ago.  First generator was a Generac GP7500W.  A starting point, poor power quality and neither APC UPS would operate on it due to poor power quality.

After several other generators of various sizes I have settled on the 18KW rated 27KW peak Powerhorse that's pictured somewhere above.  At the other end of the spectrum is a Honda EB2800I Inverter generator.  The middle rig is what this thread is about and is now going to get replaced.

Back to the Predator 9500 Inverter Generator.  In summer months the 18KW Powerhorse handles the whole house to include air conditioning for house and shop as well as shop equipment.  In the winter months without a need for AC, I prefer to use a smaller generator in the case of electricity blackout as the smaller rigs are quieter, especially the inverters.

Power went out 3 weeks ago, hooked up the Predator 9500 and all was well.  Then, started looking at loads -vs- rated capacity and wanted to ensure it would handle the electric heater in the shop as well as lights.  Switched the 240V heater to the lowest 3KW setting and the 9500 ran it and the house right up until I turned on the shop lights.  900W of florescent overhead lights.  The 9500 went into overload and tripped offline.

Needs to be shut down to reset, there is no "Reset" button on the Predator 9500.  This got me wondering if it was a load imbalance in the house on one leg.  So, today I got out the measuring equipment and hooked the Predator 9500 to the 3KW shop heater, measured current and 21 amps.  Then, added a couple of small electric heaters which on low are 800W, one on each 120V outlet on the generator.  It won't hold them on low with the 5000W shop heater.

So, rated at 7600W continuous, the one I have trips overload at ~6600W - the 30A two-pole breaker does not trip on the 9500 - it cycles into "overload" electronically and goes offline.

It would probably run one of the DJ setups ok.  However, the need to shut down to reset coupled with the underperforming output means it is getting replaced.  As well, a good conventional generator will be clean enough to run PA gear the trade-off being a bit more noise.  The noise difference is mechanical engine noise, mainly valve train clatter.  The smaller Honda EB2800I inverter generator is an open frame type and having a "enclosed" type got me thinking.  Yes the enclosed generators are going to be quieter.  In the event of a malfunction access could be a problem.  In the event of a fuel or oil leak or wiring/battery issue there could be problems as well that could result in an inferno that would be difficult to extinguish.  As well, to diagnose and resolve potential startup problems an open frame type wins hands down

So, going to try a DuroMax XP12000E open frame conventional generator.  For noise abatement on outdoor jobs, I take a steel cart that's 5'x30" with IO carpet on the bottom and lay it on it's side in front of the generator.  I've decided to keep the small Honda EB2800I inverter generator as it's an open frame style and the two larger generators will be conventional open frame style.

When the DuroMax XP12000E arrives I'll do some testing and report results.  Rated at 9500W continuous it should handle the tasks better with more margin or headroom.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2023, 02:16:18 PM »

From my experience on the Honda and Yamaha generators they are expensive but last a long time

on all these harbor freight generac champion harbor freight a lot of these are using the exact same parts with different case pieces to make them

They look different but a lot of the parts on most of them are just Chinese clone Honda engines they're all about the same with different options on the panel and different look
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2023, 05:52:45 PM »

From my experience on the Honda and Yamaha generators they are expensive but last a long time

on all these harbor freight generac champion harbor freight a lot of these are using the exact same parts with different case pieces to make them

They look different but a lot of the parts on most of them are just Chinese clone Honda engines they're all about the same with different options on the panel and different look
Super happy with my Yamahas.  The EF6300 even has an electric starter. Cheaper than the comparable honda and got better reviews.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2023, 05:52:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.