Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Harbor Freight Predator Inverter Generator - 9500W

(1/7) > >>

Steve-White:
Anybody have any experience with one of these?:  https://www.harborfreight.com/generators-engines/generators/inverter-generators/9500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-57080.html

I have a Honda EB2800i:  https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/EB2800i

The Honda EB2800i works great for small jobs.  I have a 9000W spinner and am considering changing that one out to an Inverter type that's quieter.

Seems like whenever Predator Generators come up in a discussion the comments are favorable.  Anyone use any of the HF branded inverter generators?

I've owned/used Northern Tool house branded North Star 13,000W & 28,000W and Powerhorse 4000W & 9000W conventional generators with good results, but don't have any experience with the HF stuff.  The NT Powerhorse 9000W is the one I'm considering replacing.

The power management on the Inverter I've used so far is great - they idle back down when load is reduced which lends itself to audio system applications if for nothing else the noise management aspects.

The HF 9500W Inverter looks to have a L14-30R on it which means it would plug right up to my stuff.

Brian Jojade:
My experience with HF generators is that they work just long enough to be out of warranty and then something goes wrong with them.  Parts are pretty much non existent, and build in such a way that normal repair is nearly impossible.

Had it happen twice in a row. Will never buy another from them.

Brian Bolly:
Bennett did an interesting side-by-side recently of a ~3kW HF and a Honda, with a couple bonus clips from the 2kW and 7kW Hondas that was enlightening.  I will echo Brian's comments that the HF seem to work...until they don't.  And enough of those stories floated around that we went with the Honda.

In going through this exercise several years ago, we found we can easily get our hands on the 3kW Honda from numerous places locally if we need a tiny generator, but the mid-size (7kW-12kW) are not nearly as prevalent.  Some back of napkin math on systems that we'd need generator power for put the 7kW as the better option in terms of size/weight/storage space, and if we're truly into a larger system we're likely into a trailer mounted gen set in the 20kW range or above.

All that said:  The 7kW Honda has been absolutely rock solid, and impressive in its function and capacity.  (I borrowed one to run my house a time or two during bad storms, and it did the job admirably)  We bought 3rd party 4-wheel kits for them, but other than that it is simple maintenance, and it just plain works.  Oh yeah - and QUIET.

Mike Monte:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on May 17, 2021, 05:21:02 PM ---
Seems like whenever Predator Generators come up in a discussion the comments are favorable.  Anyone use any of the HF branded inverter generators?

--- End quote ---

I purchased a HF 2500 watt inverter generator (on a flash sale for $399.00) about 5 years ago just to see if it was worth it......as it was cheap enough.
Expecting the usual HF run-a-round I ran it - ran it - ran it until the return warranty expired....it kept working....and to this day, it actually works well.
It was the first inverter that Predator came out with thus the model is out of production it seems.

My sound use has been for spoken-word remote use but mostly used for stage lights on remote gigs.  The power is fine for my QU mixers with no issues.

My only gripe is that starting it can be a process as the engine needs to be primed (open gas flow, choke off, pull cord 15 times, then choke on and pull a few times to start) as it doesn't seem to be gravity-fed like my Honda 3000's'.  Once it starts it runs fine.

On one of my annual gigs (in June) the client provides a Predator 4000 (non-inverter) for stage power.
It has worked well for the past 6 years..........although I bring an analog board to that gig.  I have also run analog gear on a Predator 6000-something (don't recall the exact model #) generator and it was fine for a day/evening festival.

From my limited experience (and reading reviews) with HF generators I gather that if one is going to fail it fails sooner rather than later.........

I have zero experience with the new line of Predators from HF..........but I'm happy with my Predator.   

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Mike Monte on May 18, 2021, 07:58:56 AM ---I purchased a HF 2500 watt inverter generator (on a flash sale for $399.00) about 5 years ago just to see if it was worth it......as it was cheap enough.
Expecting the usual HF run-a-round I ran it - ran it - ran it until the return warranty expired....it kept working....and to this day, it actually works well.
It was the first inverter that Predator came out with thus the model is out of production it seems.

My sound use has been for spoken-word remote use but mostly used for stage lights on remote gigs.  The power is fine for my QU mixers with no issues.

My only gripe is that starting it can be a process as the engine needs to be primed (open gas flow, choke off, pull cord 15 times, then choke on and pull a few times to start) as it doesn't seem to be gravity-fed like my Honda 3000's'.  Once it starts it runs fine.

On one of my annual gigs (in June) the client provides a Predator 4000 (non-inverter) for stage power.
It has worked well for the past 6 years..........although I bring an analog board to that gig.  I have also run analog gear on a Predator 6000-something (don't recall the exact model #) generator and it was fine for a day/evening festival.

From my limited experience (and reading reviews) with HF generators I gather that if one is going to fail it fails sooner rather than later.........

I have zero experience with the new line of Predators from HF..........but I'm happy with my Predator.   

--- End quote ---

15 pulls, you have to be kidding.  I would have had the ether out at pull number 3.  Just a squirt will do ya!  Some people claim that is hard on the engine as it dries out the oil in the cylinder, I can't imagine assuming it's at a reasonable temp that it doesn't scavenge oil during the pull.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version