ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct wire size L 14/30  (Read 3532 times)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
Re: Correct wire size L 14/30
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 09:09:05 AM »

Is the SEOW a typo?  That is not a bargain if it is not SOOW. SOOW is just a bit about the $4 a foot range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can get 8-4 from a dealer here at about $3.20 per foot..

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 11:00:41 AM »

I can get 8-4 from a dealer here at about $3.20 per foot..

Copper seems to have come down a bit ,  that's par for the course. 

'
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 12:46:45 PM »

8AWG is what you need for a 30A circuit with 3 current-carrying conductors.  10AWG is acceptable for 2 current-carrying conductors.  If you connect that L14-30 to 2 legs of a 3-phase supply, the neutral is considered current-carrying, and even if you're fed from a split-phase supply, supplying nonlinear loads (of which switching power supplies are an example) also causes the neutral to be considered a current-carrying conductor.  Which is a long way of saying that 8AWG would be the appropriate wire size for this application.

This is confusing to me.  I've read through it a couple of times and it still doesn't make sense.  In this situation, optimal wire gauge is determined by load -vs- distance.  That's it, pure and simple - Load and Distance.  Nothing to do with L1, L1-L2, single phase, 3-phase.

The Neutral is always considered a current carrying conductor regardless of load type, condition or power format.

Power Factor/Demand Factor modeling isn't typically used for something like this, just down and dirty estimates based upon maximum current draw conditions.

Agreed on #8 being the best solution here at 100' distance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 03:35:43 PM by Steve-White »

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2023, 02:50:46 PM »

'

I have an electrician friend here with buying power. His company gets a big discount. He's a drummer.

Steve Crump

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 04:14:45 PM »

'

I called for a quote today. 6-4 SOOW 2.95 per ft and SEOOW 3.25 per foot.

This based on what the vendor had to pay at time of purchase.

What we are paying for copper wire is way down from the past few months.

But the real reason I came back to post is because after all these post I decided to go unbox the 6-4 cord that I purchased and see what I thought of it in order to post my opinion. I already have cords that I use, so what I previously purchased was still stored. Well, what is shown on line and what is in the box is different. It is 6-4 but, it is STOW.

Outside of box indicates that same as the verbiage online.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 04:18:34 PM by Steve Crump »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2023, 11:18:56 PM »

I called for a quote today. 6-4 SOOW 2.95 per ft and SEOOW 3.25 per foot.

This based on what the vendor had to pay at time of purchase.

What we are paying for copper wire is way down from the past few months.

But the real reason I came back to post is because after all these post I decided to go unbox the 6-4 cord that I purchased and see what I thought of it in order to post my opinion. I already have cords that I use, so what I previously purchased was still stored. Well, what is shown on line and what is in the box is different. It is 6-4 but, it is STOW.

Outside of box indicates that same as the verbiage online.

What is STOW?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2023, 12:10:12 AM »

What is STOW?

Service (not SJ or Service Junior)
Thermoplastic
Oil resistant outer insulation
Water resistant outer insulation

If this is off, please correct me. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2023, 11:22:51 AM »

This is confusing to me.  I've read through it a couple of times and it still doesn't make sense.  In this situation, optimal wire gauge is determined by load -vs- distance.  That's it, pure and simple - Load and Distance.  Nothing to do with L1, L1-L2, single phase, 3-phase.

The Neutral is always considered a current carrying conductor regardless of load type, condition or power format.

Power Factor/Demand Factor modeling isn't typically used for something like this, just down and dirty estimates based upon maximum current draw conditions.

Agreed on #8 being the best solution here at 100' distance.

There are two factors to consider when sizing power conductors: performance and safety/regulatory.  The safety/regulatory perspective sets the minimum size you can use, but you are free to upsize the conductors for performance if you so desire.  My comment about 10AWG being suitable in some cases but 8AWG being appropriate for an L14-30 feeding nonlinear loads on a 3-phase service was based on the NEC (the model code for the US).

Last time I checked, for the purposes of derating based on conductor count, the NEC does not consider the grounded (neutral) conductor to be current-carrying if the conductor only carries the unbalanced current from other conductors.  However, this exception does not apply to 3-phase circuits missing a phase conductor, or circuits that have nonlinear loads.  Logically, this makes sense, as the derating factors based on conductor count come from the ability of the conductors to dissipate heat to the environment and the temperature rise limits of the conductors.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2023, 06:00:14 PM »

The issue is SE is less than 1/2 the price of SO.  To me it feels the same as SJ even though some of the properties are superior to SO. 

Plastic cable just doesn’t belong on a stage.  It doesn’t sit flat and sure doesn’t roll correctly. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All of the #10 and #8 purchased in the last 15 years at my old shop was SEOOW.  It handled as well as SOOW.  It's not the same as thermoplastic outer jacket.  Not at all.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:41:48 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Crump

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2023, 06:27:38 PM »

What is STOW?

Caleb is correct.

Today when I was cleaning off my trailer from last weekends event I took time to look at my cords. The 100' is SEOOW and the 50' is SOOW, both are 6-4. I really didn't feel or see a difference that would make me grab one over the other except for length.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2023, 06:27:38 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.