Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

musicians amps on stage

<< < (2/3) > >>

Andrew Broughton:

--- Quote from: Tom Herr on May 17, 2021, 11:50:45 am ---I have been in the music industry most of my life. I have been on the sound and lighting end as well as a performing musician with countless hours experience in both areas. Worked with national and locals in both capacities. I have played rock, blues, country, some gospel and quite a bit of contemporary christian music.
Now I am running into houses of worship that don't allow amplifiers on stage. Seriously, why would you hamstring a musician like that?
I understand the desire to control the mix and that there are musicians out there who are half deaf, but why punish the entire lot over a few?
I am now approaching 60 years of age and am quite capable of playing at a moderate volume. In some respects taking away a guitar players amp is like taking away the sustain pedal from a piano player. Yes you can add compression to increase sustain on a digital simulated amp but that is not the same as the warm natural sound of a good tube amp. And yes digital has improved but still has a long ways to go. In ear monitors completely eliminates the ability to position ones self to key in on different instruments on the stage. There is no way that I can simulate thru in ears what I am able to do on a stage with live amps. You would have to have foot controlled volumes for each channel in the mix. And for those of us who play with groups who insist on playing songs that have not been rehearsed for a long time, there is no substitute for being able to turn down on stage while getting your ears in line with the amp so you can find a part during the song without disrupting the song.
IMO we are trying so hard to have complete control over the mix and crippling the musicians in the process.
I always believed the sound engineers job was to enhance and bring out the best of what the musicians were doing, not to restrict and take away from their talent.

--- End quote ---
So, what I hear you saying is that it's all about you?

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Tom Herr on May 17, 2021, 11:50:45 am ---a digital simulated amp but that is not the same as the warm natural sound of a good tube amp.

--- End quote ---

Tom,

Have you used a Kemper or a Two Notes Torpedo? Both of these sound as good as an amp. Seriously get a friend and do a blind A/B (create a profile of your amp), use the same cab, and volume match them.

Can a Kemper or Two Notes sound bad? Sure, but so can a real tube amp.  ;)

To be fair, how much have you invested in a good set of custom molded IEM's? If not you should give it a try.

Luke Geis:
As a player/performer of 27+ years and having worked for 20 years as a sound engineer, I can say that I have always been in search of a way to get my sound at bedroom volume. I like tube amps.... I like the sound from my amp... I have not found a digital replacement for one yet. What I have found is a digital replacement for a speaker though!  I recently picked up a Two Notes Captor X!!! Immediately I was happy. I could have my sound silently. The Two Notes Captor X is the best thing since sliced bread for guitarists that MUST have a real amp. It is convincing enough for me. It may be the best $600 I have spent on guitar gear in a long time. Look into it, I think it is the solution you may be after.

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Luke Geis on May 18, 2021, 11:25:49 pm ---As a player/performer of 27+ years and having worked for 20 years as a sound engineer, I can say that I have always been in search of a way to get my sound at bedroom volume. I like tube amps.... I like the sound from my amp... I have not found a digital replacement for one yet. What I have found is a digital replacement for a speaker though!  I recently picked up a Two Notes Captor X!!! Immediately I was happy. I could have my sound silently. The Two Notes Captor X is the best thing since sliced bread for guitarists that MUST have a real amp. It is convincing enough for me. It may be the best $600 I have spent on guitar gear in a long time. Look into it, I think it is the solution you may be after.

--- End quote ---

I have been a real fan of their products.

I have a player I work with every week who uses 2x of the Torpedo Live units (the rack mounted load box). The tone is just stellar.

Even three years ago a lot of the guys I work with had their custom amp/head combo they brought; and I have noticed in the last few months just how rare that is becoming. I am of course still more than happy to mic up an amp (got to use that ribbon mic for something!  ;) ) but tone wise there are so many great options now.

Debbie Dunkley:

--- Quote from: Luke Geis on May 18, 2021, 11:25:49 pm ---As a player/performer of 27+ years and having worked for 20 years as a sound engineer, I can say that I have always been in search of a way to get my sound at bedroom volume. I like tube amps.... I like the sound from my amp... I have not found a digital replacement for one yet. What I have found is a digital replacement for a speaker though!  I recently picked up a Two Notes Captor X!!! Immediately I was happy. I could have my sound silently. The Two Notes Captor X is the best thing since sliced bread for guitarists that MUST have a real amp. It is convincing enough for me. It may be the best $600 I have spent on guitar gear in a long time. Look into it, I think it is the solution you may be after.

--- End quote ---
The guitar player in one of our bands uses the REVV which has the Two Notes reactive load and cabs built in - he says it's the best sound he has EVER had - exceptional player too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version