ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is it which makes a subwoofer "omnidirectional"?  (Read 9501 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What is it which makes a subwoofer "omnidirectional"?
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »

To update guys, we put the eaw back where it was at the middle of the back wall facing forward as normal and together with the EV Sub at the middle of the side wall, this did the trick. So yes, the "flanking" method works. I can now hear the bass more evenly [not perfect but good enough] at the usual problem spots in the room.

It's the room, not the sub.  Room dimensions and ratio.  Placement of the sub(s) is the only thing you can control short of building a new space.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2021, 01:45:31 AM »

I am not seeing any reviews on this item or it's application? Also when researching this item I am also seeing "G sub" which I have come across many threads on it on other forums, why is that Cab so popular?

Their kits are supposed to be nice, I forgot what audio forum that reviews home made speakers raves about them. 

I have taken the plunge yet because my woodworking skills are so subpar I am not confident I could actually assemble it straight.  What's sad is my father was a builder and a master carpenter.  I guess it's ok because he couldn't solder and use to splice his extension cords with friction tape.  I swear he had one 100' orange special that was 20 years old, had a plug that the old cardboard piece that went between the prongs was gone and had 10 splices in it.  Oh and he wrapped it around his elbow. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2021, 02:39:31 AM »

What kind of music? That makes a big difference. Pink Floyd is entirely different than Outkast which is entirely different from Pipe Organ music.

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-components/Speaker-Subwoofer-Cabinet-Enclosures
Shop here.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-18-Ultimax-Subwoofer-and-Cabinet-Package-300-7099
This would be an excellent choice. Buy two if you think you want to challenge the structural integrity of the garage. No cutting involved, but you will have to assemble the cabs and paint them if you feel like it.

These are true SUB woofers. They will dig deep and get loud down low. Stop messing around with PA cabs, because they are designed to get really really loud at a higher frequency and live through all manner of abuse. They are not typically designed to do what you are looking for.

The Dayton Ultimax sound great for a home system.  There's a 15" in a Parts Express enclosure and the dual 2 ohm VS is pushed by a Crown XTi 1002 in the studio system.  It sounds real good and has lots of grunt below 40hz.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2021, 02:39:31 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.