ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What is it which makes a subwoofer "omnidirectional"?  (Read 9503 times)

John L Nobile

Re: What is it which makes a subwoofer "omnidirectional"?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2021, 10:23:17 AM »

Only one but this is only an 8'h x10'w x25'L room so I think it's overkill for this small room and we all know that this Sub was not designed for this which is why I am thinking of trying the SBX220 dual 12". From everything mentioned in this thread it looks like I might fare better with this sub?

Since one can hear bass from all around a cab, does a cab put out sound waves from it's sides, back, top and bottom or only through it's front please?

If you download a simulation app (I use Danley Direct), you can plot different sub frequencies and get a rough idea of how the coverage starts omni at low frequencies and gets narrower as you move up.

Your garage is about the size of my living room. I just got a new TV and I'm debating whether I need an 8 or 12" sub. There's so many subs to choose from. You seem undecided as to what to get or what you want. Why not try renting subs from a store or rental house? A 12" may be enough, an 18" may be overkill.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2021, 10:30:49 AM »

If you download a simulation app (I use Danley Direct), you can plot different sub frequencies and get a rough idea of how the coverage starts omni at low frequencies and gets narrower as you move up.

Your garage is about the size of my living room. I just got a new TV and I'm debating whether I need an 8 or 12" sub. There's so many subs to choose from. You seem undecided as to what to get or what you want. Why not try renting subs from a store or rental house? A 12" may be enough, an 18" may be overkill.

I know what I want, just trying to research which sub will give me the best chances for it. I won't be able to know beforehand how any particular sub will perform in this room but my research is narrowing down to EAW SBX220 as first option or EAW FR250.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »

I know what I want, just trying to research which sub will give me the best chances for it. I won't be able to know beforehand how any particular sub will perform in this room but my research is narrowing down to EAW SBX220 as first option or EAW FR250.

Why are you stuck on PA cabs for home use? What are you doing in there?

This room is pretty much the size of my living room too and I use a single 12" Dayton sub in a large cabinet and it is just incredible. i don't want anything more than that. In fact it is a little too much. I'm running it on about half the power it could actually use.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Henderson

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2021, 12:16:02 PM »

Why are you stuck on PA cabs for home use? What are you doing in there?

This room is pretty much the size of my living room too and I use a single 12" Dayton sub in a large cabinet and it is just incredible. i don't want anything more than that. In fact it is a little too much. I'm running it on about half the power it could actually use.

I am a bass freak, plain and simple. I have had Bose and Sony Surround systems in there with both powered and passive subs [12"] which didn'tt give enough bass as I would like. You are correct as people here complain that I use too much bass but..... For example 2 of them here came into the garage and found me sitting on top of the Sub at the side wall and their facial expression said it all but again.....

I have been researching more on omnidirectional and speaker placements trying to learn as much as I can. I still have to do some more experimenting before actually purchasing whatever sub but making a lot of progress with the info given here plus what I am finding on the net too.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2021, 12:35:33 PM »

I am a bass freak, plain and simple. I have had Bose and Sony Surround systems in there with both powered and passive subs [12"] which didn'tt give enough bass as I would like. You are correct as people here complain that I use too much bass but..... For example 2 of them here came into the garage and found me sitting on top of the Sub at the side wall and their facial expression said it all but again.....

I have been researching more on omnidirectional and speaker placements trying to learn as much as I can. I still have to do some more experimenting before actually purchasing whatever sub but making a lot of progress with the info given here plus what I am finding on the net too.

What kind of music? That makes a big difference. Pink Floyd is entirely different than Outkast which is entirely different from Pipe Organ music.

https://www.parts-express.com/speaker-components/Speaker-Subwoofer-Cabinet-Enclosures
Shop here.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-18-Ultimax-Subwoofer-and-Cabinet-Package-300-7099
This would be an excellent choice. Buy two if you think you want to challenge the structural integrity of the garage. No cutting involved, but you will have to assemble the cabs and paint them if you feel like it.

These are true SUB woofers. They will dig deep and get loud down low. Stop messing around with PA cabs, because they are designed to get really really loud at a higher frequency and live through all manner of abuse. They are not typically designed to do what you are looking for.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2021, 12:37:32 PM »

I would also posit that you haven't experienced true Home Theater bass. Sony and Bose make cheap crap that is marketed to people who don't know any better.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Multiple sub locations to even out room modes
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2021, 01:16:16 PM »

I am a bass freak, plain and simple.

. I still have to do some more experimenting..
Mike,

The louder a single sub is in the wrong location in a small room, the more apparent the lack of bass in other spots will be. I've been in rooms where there is less bass literally sitting on the sub than across the room.

Bose and Sony Surround are toys with little output below 50Hz (missing the bottom octave of current pop music) and nothing close your Eliminator i in the chest kick region.

Experimenting with placement and measurement (listening alone takes too long chasing your tail) with multiple sub locations is going to be the way to get your freak on.
You can determine the best locations with speakers you presently own, just stuff the ports, EQ them for flat response down as low as you like to hear outside, then bring them in to test at a low volume inside.

Art

Mike Henderson

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 01:36:50 PM »

Mike,

The louder a single sub is in the wrong location in a small room, the more apparent the lack of bass in other spots will be. I've been in rooms where there is less bass literally sitting on the sub than across the room.

Bose and Sony Surround are toys with little output below 50Hz (missing the bottom octave of current pop music) and nothing close your Eliminator i in the chest kick region.

Experimenting with placement and measurement (listening alone takes too long chasing your tail) with multiple sub locations is going to be the way to get your freak on.
You can determine the best locations with speakers you presently own, just stuff the ports, EQ them for flat response down as low as you like to hear outside, then bring them in to test at a low volume inside.

Art

Well yes guys, even though I am not an audiophile, I do understand that brands like Meyer, Klipsh e.t.c would offer better sub sound.

To be sure I understand the instruction, when you say "stuff the ports" you mean like fully clogging them with a towel then take them outside the garage and do the eq-ing?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 01:49:20 PM »

Well yes guys, even though I am not an audiophile, I do understand that brands like Meyer, Klipsh e.t.c would offer better sub sound.

To be sure I understand the instruction, when you say "stuff the ports" you mean like fully clogging them with a towel then take them outside the garage and do the eq-ing?

No. You still need some port free.

And not with towels. The idea is to "slow down" the air movement through the port. That makes it "seem" like a longer port (lower tuning) to the air that is moving through that port. An air filter type foam (open cell type) would be the best. You want some resistance, but not complete blockage.

If you have a sub with two ports you can completely block one of those ports and get the same effect, but if you only have one port you either want to make it smaller, or give it some resistance.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »

I am a bass freak, plain and simple. I have had Bose and Sony Surround systems in there with both powered and passive subs [12"] which didn'tt give enough bass as I would like.

To be fair neither Bose or Sony make a good sub  ::) I would rather not have a sub, than use one of those...

So let's step up the game.

Have you checked out something like an HSU Research VTF-15H MK2?

It gets uncomfortably loud; and you could always get a pair.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.