ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: High School stadium Sound System equipment comparison help  (Read 4171 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: High School stadium Sound System equipment comparison help
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 07:46:34 PM »

Really appreciate the feedback.
Baseball and softball stadiums are each 500-600 capacity.  Football is about 1500.
I wish I could spend $200k...

The systems you listed properly set up and protected could kind of get by at the baseball and softball fields but stand no chance at the football field with the stands full of spectators and the band playing.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 10:31:02 PM »

What IS your budget.
Danley does this kind of thing well.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 10:41:49 PM »

Really appreciate the feedback.
Baseball and softball stadiums are each 500-600 capacity.  Football is about 1500.
I wish I could spend $200k...
There is also Community outdoor speakers; perhaps a little lower in cost.
https://www.biamp.com/products/product-families/community
Scott Hofmann

Rich Wirz

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »

I completely agree with Don's assessment.  The high school I work at recently re-did the football field/bleachers, and as much as I campaigned for a Danley install, they decided to go with the Community R5's a local company gave a steep discount on (as a contribution to the project).  For announcing and up to medium level music they do a decent job - but I would never try to put anything substantial through them.  With 4 of them mounted on top of the press box the coverage pattern basically covers the stands and the track - beyond that you can obviously hear them but the energy diminishes quickly walking out onto the field.  So proper coverage area for whatever uses they foresee the system being utilized for is a must.

I have an event coming up in a week where the whole student body will be in the bleachers - and the choir department will be on the track performing multiple songs with keys, drums, bass, guitar, and 18 wireless mics. Other than the miserable time they and I would have with the delay and the sound being shot back at them, there is no way I am even going to attempt to tie everything in to an aux input on the field system.  I don't really know for sure where it is high passed at, but from listening to it I can't believe it would be anywhere under 100.  I am kind of getting attitude for planning a system set up on the track firing into the stands, but I'm not willing to fry anything with sub par audio for the application just to placate people who don't get it.  Maybe not something that would apply to you, but food for thought nonetheless.  I guess what it comes down to is to run every scenario everybody thinks this system could be used for, try to accommodate with a proper set up, and then get ready to deal with providing something else when the situation over runs the capabilities.       

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 07:29:06 AM »

I don't really know for sure where it is high passed at, but from listening to it I can't believe it would be anywhere under 100.     

That's about right, depending on the R.5 model the recommended high pass is about to 60hz to 90hz.
At least it sounds like the installer actually applied a high pass to the system, many times they are left wide open and the speakers get shredded over time!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 09:52:14 AM »

I completely agree with Don's assessment.  The high school I work at recently re-did the football field/bleachers, and as much as I campaigned for a Danley install, they decided to go with the Community R5's a local company gave a steep discount on (as a contribution to the project).  For announcing and up to medium level music they do a decent job - but I would never try to put anything substantial through them.  With 4 of them mounted on top of the press box the coverage pattern basically covers the stands and the track - beyond that you can obviously hear them but the energy diminishes quickly walking out onto the field.  So proper coverage area for whatever uses they foresee the system being utilized for is a must.

I have an event coming up in a week where the whole student body will be in the bleachers - and the choir department will be on the track performing multiple songs with keys, drums, bass, guitar, and 18 wireless mics. Other than the miserable time they and I would have with the delay and the sound being shot back at them, there is no way I am even going to attempt to tie everything in to an aux input on the field system.  I don't really know for sure where it is high passed at, but from listening to it I can't believe it would be anywhere under 100.  I am kind of getting attitude for planning a system set up on the track firing into the stands, but I'm not willing to fry anything with sub par audio for the application just to placate people who don't get it.  Maybe not something that would apply to you, but food for thought nonetheless.  I guess what it comes down to is to run every scenario everybody thinks this system could be used for, try to accommodate with a proper set up, and then get ready to deal with providing something else when the situation over runs the capabilities.       

You're definitely on the right track.  I've worked assisting another contractor doing HS graduation ceremonies out in the football stadium.  On the field in front of home bleachers was rows and rows of infield seating, then the stage.  We used mains on pole mounts on either side of the stage to cover the field seats, of course setup some monitors - front and side-fills, and then time delayed ground stacks for the main grandstands.

It sounded great and Bob got called back every year.

It can't be done correctly any other way - maybe indoors, but never outdoors without delay fills.

Aaron Cole

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 02:09:11 PM »

I'm not a pro here, but am an educator in a similar situation to yours.  We ended getting some community speakers that are pretty meh.  They do a mediocre job at play by play announcement for the home side and forget the away side.  It's bad.  Then, the dance team always wants it louder and the system can just not handle it.  I wish we would have contacted Danley or another big install name.  At this point we'll probably just be begging for another system in a few years time and then we've paid for two systems when we probably could have just paid for one the first time.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 02:50:19 PM »

I'm not a pro here, but am an educator in a similar situation to yours.  We ended getting some community speakers that are pretty meh.  They do a mediocre job at play by play announcement for the home side and forget the away side.  It's bad.  Then, the dance team always wants it louder and the system can just not handle it.  I wish we would have contacted Danley or another big install name.  At this point we'll probably just be begging for another system in a few years time and then we've paid for two systems when we probably could have just paid for one the first time.

Community has been a leader in the install market for decades. It's likely the wrong choice of Community loudspeaker rather than the particular loudspeaker.   Or a bad install. 

What are these Community loudspeakers and how are they deployed?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Aaron Cole

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 06:26:32 AM »

Community has been a leader in the install market for decades. It's likely the wrong choice of Community loudspeaker rather than the particular loudspeaker.   Or a bad install. 

What are these Community loudspeakers and how are they deployed?

I'll check it out more this week and get back to you.  Could be a deployment problem.  The install company that did it also did our auditorium (EAW system) and didn't load the greyboxes for the speakers onto the dsp or do any sub to mains alignment.  I ended up having to do all that myself.  So I wouldn't count out a bad deployment at our stadium.

I can tell you right away that the away side sounding terrible is just because those bleachers are not in the pattern of the speakers which are all on the home side on the lighting poles aimed at the home audience.  So maybe the powers that be knew that going into the purchase of the system.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »

I'll check it out more this week and get back to you.  Could be a deployment problem.  The install company that did it also did our auditorium (EAW system) and didn't load the greyboxes for the speakers onto the dsp or do any sub to mains alignment.  I ended up having to do all that myself.  So I wouldn't count out a bad deployment at our stadium.

I can tell you right away that the away side sounding terrible is just because those bleachers are not in the pattern of the speakers which are all on the home side on the lighting poles aimed at the home audience.  So maybe the powers that be knew that going into the purchase of the system.

The did a poor job on the first project… so let’s hire them again on the second.  Sounds completely logical to me.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.