ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: High School stadium Sound System equipment comparison help  (Read 4146 times)

Mike Snyder

I have been tasked with replacing the sound systems at our high school's on-campus football, baseball and softball fields.  I feel I have received quotes from two quality providers, but I don't know squat about the equipment and can't make an educated decision on which is better.  Maybe you guys can help?  Assume the prices I received are very close to each other and within our budget.  Here is a high level overview of the components I need help comparing.

Provider 1
Atlas Speakers FS12T-99 and 94s
Alesis MultiMix 10 Wireless Rackmount Mixer
Crown CDi 1000 Power Amplifier
Juice Goose JG 8LED Power Distribution Center with LED Lights

Provider 2
Community Speakers COM-R.5COAC66 and 99's
Rolls Mixer
QSC GXD4 Light Weight Amp
Juice Goose JG11-15A Power Distribution Center
Denon Source Deck

I imagine both would sound great, and either will be an upgrade, but which one is better?

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: High School stadium Sound System equipment comparison help
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 03:16:23 PM »

Based on quick google search, I'd say none.
Call Fulcrum, they can help you with a proper system.

https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/contact/

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 03:39:36 PM »

I imagine both would sound great, and either will be an upgrade, but which one is better?

As you have surmised, those are practically identical systems. If both providers came to the same solution, there's a good chance it's a good fit.

If you can determine which provider has better support, that can be your determining factor. I don't suspect there will be a significant difference in the sound quality of either speaker system but I have no direct experience with them so take that with a grain of salt.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 03:46:28 PM »

I have been tasked with replacing the sound systems at our high school's on-campus football, baseball and softball fields.  I feel I have received quotes from two quality providers, but I don't know squat about the equipment and can't make an educated decision on which is better.  Maybe you guys can help?  Assume the prices I received are very close to each other and within our budget.  Here is a high level overview of the components I need help comparing.

Provider 1

Provider 2
Rolls Mixer
Denon Source Deck

And you know the two vendors are quality providers because (pick only one)....
a) they install great home stereo systems
b) they go to my church.
c) they are the only two PA vendors in my city.
D) they have provided addresses and contact info for venues where they have installed similar systems.
Scott Hofmann

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 04:04:24 PM »

Provider 1

Provider 2
Rolls Mixer
Denon Source Deck

The speakers listed are decent, but I agree with Helge.  You probably need to be looking to more powerful solutions. It would help if we knew how many people you are trying to cover and if you are trying to cover the playing fields also.  Outdoors eats up sound!  If there is wind, things really get bad.  The one thing is for certain : Attempts will be made to try and make these speakers as loud as an outdoor comcert!  I have had several requests from athelitic directors and others at a school who attended a concert and said: I want the system to be almost as loud as ***** was last week because the teams like it loud for practice on the field.  As loud is $200,000.00 and up. Almost as loud is $50,000.00 and up.  The students and staff have no concept about what is too loud or too much distortion.  The will not pay attention to the clip/protection LED's on the amplifier.  If you are only trying to cover a small bleacher (maybe 200 people) with voice and low level background music, the systems quoted might work.  In any case, it will be important to have some that really know what they are doing to set limiters and filters in the amp DSP, especially a high pass filter on the low frequency end of the system.  That is the only chance you speakers will have to survive!

Mike Snyder

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 04:30:51 PM »

And you know the two vendors are quality providers because (pick only one)....
a) they install great home stereo systems
b) they go to my church.
c) they are the only two PA vendors in my city.
D) they have provided addresses and contact info for venues where they have installed similar systems.

i doubt me answering this makes much difference to you, but:
Not A or B
I am in Houston so there are plenty of vendors.  One is from the area and one is not.
My research indicates they have installed these in similar applications.  That and referrals from other schools.

Mike Snyder

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 04:42:26 PM »

Based on quick google search, I'd say none.
Call Fulcrum, they can help you with a proper system.

https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/contact/

Just contacted the rep for my area.  Thanks for the referral.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »

Read Don's comments and then read them again, he said just about what I was going to say!!!!

The Alesis mixer has too many knobs on it for your everyday I want it louder user. A Rolls strip mixer is a better choice.

Amps with built in DSP processing are a good choice but I would also add an outboard DSP for some compression and an additional layer of limiting.

If any of your proposed systems are not set up properly and really clamped down they will be blown up in with in years time.

Read Don's post again!

Matthias McCready

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 04:57:51 PM »

I have been tasked with replacing the sound systems at our high school's on-campus football, baseball and softball fields.  I feel I have received quotes from two quality providers, but I don't know squat about the equipment and can't make an educated decision on which is better.  Maybe you guys can help?

Welcome Mike,

+1 to everything Don said.

As you are new to audio lets put it in non-audio terms:  :)

So instead your school athletic department needs to buy a vehicle.

Right now you are looking at 4 door car (Geo Metro). Which will work, and effectively transport a small amount of people from place A to place B. What the car will not do is to effectively transport your entire football team at the same time.

If that is what you want to do you will need a bus (a well ventilated one at that... jeez take a shower you guys!  :o )

----

What Helge and Don are getting at is they want to make sure your expectations and needs are in line with the solution.

When you expect too much out of a small system it is much like expecting that small little car frame to handle the entire football team. Not only will your little system not handle it, it will likely be broken in the process; making it not a great investment.

Keep in mind a bus costs more than a small car.

Or perhaps a car is exactly what you need, you just have to remember it is just car and use it accordingly.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Mike Snyder

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 05:30:41 PM »

The speakers listed are decent, but I agree with Helge.  You probably need to be looking to more powerful solutions. It would help if we knew how many people you are trying to cover and if you are trying to cover the playing fields also.  Outdoors eats up sound!  If there is wind, things really get bad.  The one thing is for certain : Attempts will be made to try and make these speakers as loud as an outdoor comcert!  I have had several requests from athelitic directors and others at a school who attended a concert and said: I want the system to be almost as loud as ***** was last week because the teams like it loud for practice on the field.  As loud is $200,000.00 and up. Almost as loud is $50,000.00 and up.  The students and staff have no concept about what is too loud or too much distortion.  The will not pay attention to the clip/protection LED's on the amplifier.  If you are only trying to cover a small bleacher (maybe 200 people) with voice and low level background music, the systems quoted might work.  In any case, it will be important to have some that really know what they are doing to set limiters and filters in the amp DSP, especially a high pass filter on the low frequency end of the system.  That is the only chance you speakers will have to survive!

Really appreciate the feedback.
Baseball and softball stadiums are each 500-600 capacity.  Football is about 1500.
I wish I could spend $200k...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 05:30:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.