Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

High School stadium Sound System equipment comparison help

(1/6) > >>

Mike Snyder:
I have been tasked with replacing the sound systems at our high school's on-campus football, baseball and softball fields.  I feel I have received quotes from two quality providers, but I don't know squat about the equipment and can't make an educated decision on which is better.  Maybe you guys can help?  Assume the prices I received are very close to each other and within our budget.  Here is a high level overview of the components I need help comparing.

Provider 1
Atlas Speakers FS12T-99 and 94s
Alesis MultiMix 10 Wireless Rackmount Mixer
Crown CDi 1000 Power Amplifier
Juice Goose JG 8LED Power Distribution Center with LED Lights

Provider 2
Community Speakers COM-R.5COAC66 and 99's
Rolls Mixer
QSC GXD4 Light Weight Amp
Juice Goose JG11-15A Power Distribution Center
Denon Source Deck

I imagine both would sound great, and either will be an upgrade, but which one is better?

Helge A Bentsen:
Based on quick google search, I'd say none.
Call Fulcrum, they can help you with a proper system.

https://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/contact/

Corey Scogin:

--- Quote from: Mike Snyder on May 14, 2021, 02:26:28 PM ---I imagine both would sound great, and either will be an upgrade, but which one is better?

--- End quote ---

As you have surmised, those are practically identical systems. If both providers came to the same solution, there's a good chance it's a good fit.

If you can determine which provider has better support, that can be your determining factor. I don't suspect there will be a significant difference in the sound quality of either speaker system but I have no direct experience with them so take that with a grain of salt.

Scott Hofmann:

--- Quote from: Mike Snyder on May 14, 2021, 02:26:28 PM ---I have been tasked with replacing the sound systems at our high school's on-campus football, baseball and softball fields.  I feel I have received quotes from two quality providers, but I don't know squat about the equipment and can't make an educated decision on which is better.  Maybe you guys can help?  Assume the prices I received are very close to each other and within our budget.  Here is a high level overview of the components I need help comparing.

Provider 1

Provider 2
Rolls Mixer
Denon Source Deck

I imagine both would sound great, and either will be an upgrade, but which one is better?

--- End quote ---

And you know the two vendors are quality providers because (pick only one)....
a) they install great home stereo systems
b) they go to my church.
c) they are the only two PA vendors in my city.
D) they have provided addresses and contact info for venues where they have installed similar systems.

Don T. Williams:

--- Quote from: Mike Snyder on May 14, 2021, 02:26:28 PM ---I have been tasked with replacing the sound systems at our high school's on-campus football, baseball and softball fields.  I feel I have received quotes from two quality providers, but I don't know squat about the equipment and can't make an educated decision on which is better.  Maybe you guys can help?  Assume the prices I received are very close to each other and within our budget.  Here is a high level overview of the components I need help comparing.

Provider 1

Provider 2
Rolls Mixer
Denon Source Deck

--- End quote ---

The speakers listed are decent, but I agree with Helge.  You probably need to be looking to more powerful solutions. It would help if we knew how many people you are trying to cover and if you are trying to cover the playing fields also.  Outdoors eats up sound!  If there is wind, things really get bad.  The one thing is for certain : Attempts will be made to try and make these speakers as loud as an outdoor comcert!  I have had several requests from athelitic directors and others at a school who attended a concert and said: I want the system to be almost as loud as ***** was last week because the teams like it loud for practice on the field.  As loud is $200,000.00 and up. Almost as loud is $50,000.00 and up.  The students and staff have no concept about what is too loud or too much distortion.  The will not pay attention to the clip/protection LED's on the amplifier.  If you are only trying to cover a small bleacher (maybe 200 people) with voice and low level background music, the systems quoted might work.  In any case, it will be important to have some that really know what they are doing to set limiters and filters in the amp DSP, especially a high pass filter on the low frequency end of the system.  That is the only chance you speakers will have to survive!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version