Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

USAF looking for Audio Engineers

(1/3) > >>

Tim Hite:
Info is here:

https://www.music.af.mil/Auditions/Upcoming-Vacancies/

It's a steady job with solid musicians. Not much military stuff going on other than wearing uniforms to work. Requires a 4-year active duty commitment, but you can more or less be done after that point. Has a steady paycheck and fair amount of travel for shows. I've worked with one of the USAF bands when I sold them a a video wall and got a bit of the inside scoop from the band members. Lots of good music going on and a fairly busy calendar.

Probably one of the most stable jobs in pro audio. Lots of perks, too. 

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: Tim Hite on May 14, 2021, 01:53:22 AM ---

--- End quote ---
Hey Boss, can I borrow an A-10 for the weekend? I've got this neighbor...........  ;D
Chris,

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Tim Hite on May 14, 2021, 01:53:22 AM ---Info is here:

https://www.music.af.mil/Auditions/Upcoming-Vacancies/

It's a steady job with solid musicians. Not much military stuff going on other than wearing uniforms to work. Requires a 4-year active duty commitment, but you can more or less be done after that point. Has a steady paycheck and fair amount of travel for shows. I've worked with one of the USAF bands when I sold them a a video wall and got a bit of the inside scoop from the band members. Lots of good music going on and a fairly busy calendar.

--- End quote ---

That would be an excellent job opportunity - here's my story.

I got a call in 1987 from the California Air National Guard base in Fresno to provide audio reinforcement for the Air Force Band at the annual base open house.  I told them sure, I'd do the job and at a reduced rate as it was for a community open house and I was in fact a former member of the unit from 1972-1978.  A couple of week pass and on the Saturday morning of the event, I load up a pole mount setup with dual 12's per side and headed out to the base which was on the corner of the airport complex.  I drove up to one of the gates and identified myself as instructed, and security opened the gate and I proceeded down to the flightline area.  As soon as I transitioned from the roadway to the tarmac in front of the hangers I knew immediately that I needed to come back there.

Did the show, the Air Force Band sounded great.  Monday afternoon I was in the recruiters office - I believe I was sworn back into service that Thursday under Commander in Chief Ronald Reagan.  First enlistment was Food Service as lots and lots of people were hiding out from the Viet Nam war draft.  At that time the guard units were overstaffed.  The second 1987 enlistment I got my career field preference of Avionics.  After just under a year of full time avionics training, I landed a job in the avionics shop at the base in 1989 to help out during the transition from the F-4D Phantom to the Block 15 OCU/ADF F-16.  After working about 6 months in the avionics shop running the Automatic Test Stations, the General Dynamics Field Engineering Reps showed up.  After working with two of them in the ATE backshop, they approached me about working for GD.  I gave them my resume, was setup for an interview and flown to Fort Worth.  In September I got a pretty good job offer for a spot as a Field Service Engineer and I accepted it.

At the tail end of the 31yr career in defense aerospace that's been good to me.  15 years F-16 field service and mods, 6 years on the F-22 program doing avionics mods, much of it the field leading a team - spent a year and a half of that time in Panama City Florida at Tyndall AFB, and now year 11 on the F-35 program working in project engineering.  Traveled many places, both stateside and overseas.

Currently transitioning back into professional audio.  :)

Tim Weaver:
I don't know if you'd stay there, but San Antonio is not a bad place to live! It's on the edge of some of the most beautiful parts of Texas.

Tim Hite:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on May 14, 2021, 02:21:15 PM ---I don't know if you'd stay there, but San Antonio is not a bad place to live! It's on the edge of some of the most beautiful parts of Texas.

--- End quote ---

There are two postings, one is for regional bands, which could wind you up on one of  several places. The other is for the USAF Academy band in Colorado Springs, which is a gorgeous place to live and work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version