ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: basic DMX control... computer software or iPad app?  (Read 4253 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
basic DMX control... computer software or iPad app?
« on: May 09, 2021, 07:31:12 PM »

I don't know where to look or what I am looking at.  Back in the day, I had Blizzard Fab5 pars and controlled with Chauvet ShowExpress off a laptop.  The 8x Fab5 had their own DMX channeling and typically mounted 4 on a T-Bar.

Well, now fast forward, I am buying new lights and a controller.  I am looking for a computer software or iPad app that I can set-up 10-15 difference scenes with patterns and I just push a button and to change the settings.  Tap Tempo control is a plus.

We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: basic DMX control... computer software or iPad app?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:23:12 PM »

Hi Matt, if sticking with the iPad option I know there are several happy users of Luminaire here.  The software is somewhat limited if comparing to varsity-level consoles but the wireless convenience is a significant selling point. 

The software side of things is still a bit more open-ended.  Onyx (formerly M-PC) and MagicQ PC are both still strong budget-friendly contenders if needing more advanced capabilities.  I personally use ETC's Nomad offering, but that's to stay in-family with my hardware console.

There are a few budget hardware desks that can also do what you request.  What's your budget, and are you particularly drive to use an iPad over anything else?  Hope this helps!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:42:00 PM »

I have been using Luminair for years and love it. It does have its limitations but I have learned how to get round things pretty well. Years ago I used to use QLC on my MacBook and it was very flexible but I really love being wireless on my iPad and I have had very few problems.
Once in a while the program freezes on me but I quickly close and reopen the app and I'm back in business. I set up the scenes so that everything is exactly where I need it, well labelled and I use photos or images to help me identify what I want quickly. I am very hands on when I mix sound and I also sing through a wireless headset mic so I need something easy to navigate and Luminair has been great for me.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 11:51:31 AM »

Hi Matt, if sticking with the iPad option I know there are several happy users of Luminaire here.  The software is somewhat limited if comparing to varsity-level consoles but the wireless convenience is a significant selling point. 

The software side of things is still a bit more open-ended.  Onyx (formerly M-PC) and MagicQ PC are both still strong budget-friendly contenders if needing more advanced capabilities.  I personally use ETC's Nomad offering, but that's to stay in-family with my hardware console.

There are a few budget hardware desks that can also do what you request.  What's your budget, and are you particularly drive to use an iPad over anything else?  Hope this helps!

I was leaning towards iPads, because I set-up a X32 on/near stage and then mix the band from a iPad in the crowd.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 12:56:30 PM »

I have been using Luminair for years and love it. It does have its limitations but I have learned how to get round things pretty well. Years ago I used to use QLC on my MacBook and it was very flexible but I really love being wireless on my iPad and I have had very few problems.
Once in a while the program freezes on me but I quickly close and reopen the app and I'm back in business. I set up the scenes so that everything is exactly where I need it, well labelled and I use photos or images to help me identify what I want quickly. I am very hands on when I mix sound and I also sing through a wireless headset mic so I need something easy to navigate and Luminair has been great for me.

+1 
There are work-arounds for some if it's limitations, but I like that you can still busk a show, if you set it up right.
Add in some wireless Tx / Rx like the Donners and things are simple.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:58:39 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 02:02:50 PM »

Like most soundmixers only get control messages from the tablet, but pass sound via hardware, one should do the same thing with lights.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »

Like most soundmixers only get control messages from the tablet, but pass sound via hardware, one should do the same thing with lights.

Luminair is tablet only.
However, I do have back-up plans in place. I take a spare art net controller to each show in case that fails, I have the hard wired iPad option if wi-fi fails, I have spare iPads (and my iphone) if the tablet I am using fails and finally if all else fails, I could just program my lights to run a slow color chase - my bar lights at the back of the stage can be controlled by remote control or auto program.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »

If sticking with Tablet then yes - Luminair would also be my recommendation. 

I agree with Geert though that generally you never want to rely on tablets or wireless exclusively for your gigs, but only you can determine the best reliability to convenience ratio for your own specific application.  Good luck!

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 10:16:57 AM »

well Luminair is a bummer.. you have to pay for a subscription before I test it out.

I tried to play with MyDMX GO and it's seems to be more intended for DJs.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »

well Luminair is a bummer.. you have to pay for a subscription before I test it out.

I tried to play with MyDMX GO and it's seems to be more intended for DJs.
Subscription?  Mine was purchased.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.