Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

basic DMX control... computer software or iPad app?

(1/4) > >>

Matt Vivlamore:
I don't know where to look or what I am looking at.  Back in the day, I had Blizzard Fab5 pars and controlled with Chauvet ShowExpress off a laptop.  The 8x Fab5 had their own DMX channeling and typically mounted 4 on a T-Bar.

Well, now fast forward, I am buying new lights and a controller.  I am looking for a computer software or iPad app that I can set-up 10-15 difference scenes with patterns and I just push a button and to change the settings.  Tap Tempo control is a plus.

Jeff Lelko:
Hi Matt, if sticking with the iPad option I know there are several happy users of Luminaire here.  The software is somewhat limited if comparing to varsity-level consoles but the wireless convenience is a significant selling point. 

The software side of things is still a bit more open-ended.  Onyx (formerly M-PC) and MagicQ PC are both still strong budget-friendly contenders if needing more advanced capabilities.  I personally use ETC's Nomad offering, but that's to stay in-family with my hardware console.

There are a few budget hardware desks that can also do what you request.  What's your budget, and are you particularly drive to use an iPad over anything else?  Hope this helps!

Debbie Dunkley:
I have been using Luminair for years and love it. It does have its limitations but I have learned how to get round things pretty well. Years ago I used to use QLC on my MacBook and it was very flexible but I really love being wireless on my iPad and I have had very few problems.
Once in a while the program freezes on me but I quickly close and reopen the app and I'm back in business. I set up the scenes so that everything is exactly where I need it, well labelled and I use photos or images to help me identify what I want quickly. I am very hands on when I mix sound and I also sing through a wireless headset mic so I need something easy to navigate and Luminair has been great for me.

Matt Vivlamore:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on May 09, 2021, 09:23:12 PM ---Hi Matt, if sticking with the iPad option I know there are several happy users of Luminaire here.  The software is somewhat limited if comparing to varsity-level consoles but the wireless convenience is a significant selling point. 

The software side of things is still a bit more open-ended.  Onyx (formerly M-PC) and MagicQ PC are both still strong budget-friendly contenders if needing more advanced capabilities.  I personally use ETC's Nomad offering, but that's to stay in-family with my hardware console.

There are a few budget hardware desks that can also do what you request.  What's your budget, and are you particularly drive to use an iPad over anything else?  Hope this helps!

--- End quote ---

I was leaning towards iPads, because I set-up a X32 on/near stage and then mix the band from a iPad in the crowd.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Debbie Dunkley on May 09, 2021, 09:42:00 PM ---I have been using Luminair for years and love it. It does have its limitations but I have learned how to get round things pretty well. Years ago I used to use QLC on my MacBook and it was very flexible but I really love being wireless on my iPad and I have had very few problems.
Once in a while the program freezes on me but I quickly close and reopen the app and I'm back in business. I set up the scenes so that everything is exactly where I need it, well labelled and I use photos or images to help me identify what I want quickly. I am very hands on when I mix sound and I also sing through a wireless headset mic so I need something easy to navigate and Luminair has been great for me.

--- End quote ---

+1 
There are work-arounds for some if it's limitations, but I like that you can still busk a show, if you set it up right.
Add in some wireless Tx / Rx like the Donners and things are simple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version