Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Why (still) horns?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Steve-White:

--- Quote from: Caleb Dueck on May 08, 2021, 04:34:34 PM ---This is the key reason here.

Also look at the (vastly larger) installation market, where truck pack isn't a concern.  The only real drawback to true horns (size) isn't a huge deal here.

--- End quote ---

Yes and yes.

Horns sound like horns, the lowest distortion and cleanest kick you in the chest sound out there - still after all these years.  :)

John Roberts {JR}:
Technology continues to improve, but the physics has not changed.

JR

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on May 08, 2021, 04:09:16 PM ---That's quite a mountain to climb.
Martin Audio and EAW "broke the line" several years ago with superior performance but haven't got the traction they deserve in the "a"-level game.
MLA and Adaptive can do really superior things in terms of coverage consistency and SQ. Both brands have subs performing at the highest level, on par or better than the rest(depending on your preferred parameter), sadly doesn't seem to have carried over to "rider acceptance" and increased sales.

--- End quote ---

I got the chance to be part of PA demo/shootout recently, in a room that I have mixed many times. One of the presented options was Martin MLA; which I I was very excited to listen to.

Unfortunately the gents that Martin sent were not able to figure the processing out. The result was a VERY inconsistent sounding PA with coverage problems. Even though Martin had the highest level of box resolution out of any of the brands at the demo it had the most disparity in coverage. There was also a massive 2k hot spot behind the PA (where the stage would be), and this happened with both of their arrays (MLA/WPC).

This is not to say that when well deployed that it is not a fantastic sounding box/array, and that it cannot behave; however if the brand has trouble getting the processing there I would imagine tour companies may have an even more difficult time managing that.

I am very excited about some of things that can be done; however if it cannot be successfully deployed, that is problematic. This anecdote is not a dig at Martin; poor deployment happens I get it; I am simply stating that more complex does not always lead to better results irrespective of the brand.

I would love to see training, prep, planning, knowledge, education, and the execution of a deployment to mitigate these issues.

Steve-White:
^^^ I was talking to an Ashly rep earlier this week regarding health check on some used processors I picked up and as a matter of routine sent them in for a full health checkup.

The discussion then turned to array processing methodology and he told me of one venue (unnamed) in Las Vegas where they pulled in literally as the JBL traveling roadshow bus was leaving.  JBL had sent reps out to setup and tune a system.  He said it took them a little over an hour to straighten it out and get it sounding right.

Not bashing JBL here, have used their gear for a long time and currently have a JBL system - FOH. Monitors, Subs.  Like anything from roofing shingles, to automotive maintenance to pro audio - it's all about workmanship.  It only sounds as good as the engineer.

MikeHarris:

--- Quote from: Steve-White on May 08, 2021, 05:29:31 PM ---Yes and yes.

Horns sound like horns, the lowest distortion and cleanest kick you in the chest sound out there - still after all these years.  :)

--- End quote ---
YES & YES

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version